I was told this is an Aussie plant?

Portsmouth, NH

Can anyone identify this plant for me? A nursery in New Hampshire gave it to me, said it was an annual called "Joey". I'm not sure what to do with it. Any advice would be welcome.

Thumbnail by grajan
barmera, Australia

It's name is Ptilotus 'Joey' It is a native of Australia. I don't know a lot about them but I didn't know that they we annuals. I do know that they are suppose to self seed. I bought 2 a few months ago. I have lost one [ or maybe it has gone dormant] and the other is still in a pot and looking good. Anyway good luck with yours. They do look good in the garden with all their little 'tails' waving. Colleen

Inland S.E QLD , Australia

I have seen wild forms here in inland Queensland that grew in light well drained soil in very hot dry sunny open positions.
Here I found this : http://www.smgrowers.com/products/plants/plantdisplay.asp?plant_id=3279

noonamah, Australia

I know those as Mulla Mulla, have seen them, or closely related species, all over the desert areas of the Northern Territory and Western Australia. They're very common. But I've never tried growing them.

Portsmouth, NH

thanks all. I guess I'll try it here in my wet clay in New Hampshire, but its a lot different to the conditions described. I thought it looked familiar from trips to the north of W.A.

noonamah, Australia

They are very common along roadsides in inland areas. West Australia lists nearly 200 species and subspecies. Northern Territory lists about 80, some of which are in WA as well. Don't know how many would be in Queensland and South Australia, but that makes a very large geographical range with many different environments. Where yours comes from is anyone's guess but I'd be inclined to raise the garden bed and to incorporate some sand into it for better drainage. Good luck with it, I really like the look of them.

Hobart, Australia

Sqs me if I bot in as a butanist!
Ptilotus exaltatus - PINK MULLA MULLA
family Amaranthaceae
Other species are called PUSSYTAILS and CAT'S PAWS
Common throughout drier parts of Australia

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.