CLOSED: Sweet (Edible) Hibiscus seeds . . . and unusual lagniappe

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

CLOSED !
Seeds offered for SAE with loose stamps or trades:

Sweet Hibiscus -aka- Edible Hibiscus, Aibika, Palmate-leaved Hibiscus, Sunset Muskmallow, Sunset Hibiscus

Abelmoschus manihot - - Synonym:  Hibiscus manihot

DG info for this plant:  http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1888/ . . . lots of pretty pictures there, too.

What I need:

A self-addressed envelope (SAE) of self-addressed bubble envelope (SABE) enclosed with 61˘ in loose U.S. postage stamps.  Please note on the lower left corner of the outer envelope:  "Sweet Hibiscus".

My postal addy == >   http://davesgarden.com/address_exchange/view.php?user=LazLo

If you can't see the DG address exchange, send a DMail for my postal info,
using this link == >   http://davesgarden.com/tools/mail/pmail.php?q=LazLo   and request my postal mailing address.

A T B T Y !       ~       ŁazŁo     ;--)

This message was edited Oct 20, 2009 8:24 PM

This message was edited Oct 20, 2009 8:26 PM

Thumbnail by LazLo
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

From Wikipedia:

Lagniappe refers to a small gift given to a customer by a merchant at the time of a purchase (such as a 13th donut when buying a dozen), or more broadly, "something given or obtained gratuitously or by way of good measure."

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

well don't believe everything ya read in the Wikipedia, Kay . . .

lagniappe is a Cajun word that simply means "something extra" . . .

btw, all of the clothing items have been claimed.

This message was edited Jul 10, 2009 1:38 PM

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

I've traded with Lazlo and the lagniappe was much appreciated. And always a surprise.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

He's a good guy - seen his posts of marvelous offers before!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

wikipedia folks must not be cajuns. Day jus a liddle confuse, dem. LOL

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

still PLENTY of these available (. . . the seeds, not the cartoon!) . . .

Thumbnail by LazLo
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Germinating Sweet Hibiscus seeds & acclimating Seedlings:

I use 2"x2" pots with any potting soil into which I mix a dash of ground cinnamon - - it is a natural fungicide and really helps with keeping damp-off from occuring. I've found my germination rates soar since taking up this practice. Some folks soak the seeds in water overnight. I do not. I just drench the potting soil, let the water drain through the bottom of the tray, then sew the seeds Ľ in. deep. I keep the seedling tray in an area with bright but not direct sunlight (it's God-awful hot around here this year) ... keeping the soil moist but not soaked - - until sprouts appear and are about 1 in. tall . . . then I water a bit heavier. When the seedlings are 2-3 in. tall, I move them into an area where they get morning sun and afternoon shade.

I move them into progressively more sunny locations until they've been in full sun for at least two weeks . . . I plant survivors into garden beds with partly to full sun exposures - - Give 'em room and put 'em in the back because they get wide and tall.

Somewhere I have pictures of my Sweet Hibiscus from last year - it is a hardy perennial hereabouts ... I will have to do a more thorough search for them when I have more time. I am not organised when it comes to my plant pics - - don't know why ...

ATBTY !       ~       Łaz

North, TX

I have received my seeds from Lazlo and I look so forward to growing these edible Sweet Hibiscus!! Thank you for the above added; growing instructions for success.

Wonderful lagniappe too!!!

Thank you Lazlo,
Christine

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Yes, the growing instructions are a big help. Can't wait to plant mine! The lagniappe almost made me jump outta my seat. Opened the envelope and these big 'ol hairy seeds popped out. Thought LazLo sent a furry creature along for the ride - lol. My first thought was spider . . . .

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I love bush morning glories just for their seeds - - remind me of the "Trouble with Tribbles" epidsode from the Star Trek television series . . . their like mini-tribbles!

the photo of these seeds was uploaded to DG by member pamalafarris . . .

it may be another year or three before i again have bush morning glory seeds to share as my lovely beauty croaked from a frost last winter - - so weird, too, because nothing else did, not even the succulents. go figure, huh?

however, i have tons of other seeds in my lagniappe drawer!   ;--)

Thumbnail by LazLo
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Now you can all see why I got such a fright when I opened the envelope!

Coolest looking seeds I ever did see, though, once the initial shock wore off - lol.

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8a)

Woul.d love some seeds stamps and envelope on way tomorrow. Thanks for the growing instructions. I have a large swamp mallow in red that is growing and has lots of seeds. Now I know what to do with them. Thank you. Elaine

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Lazlo,

Am sending an envelope with enclosed postage for seeds. If you are out of them just keep the stamps for all the nice seeds you have shared with me in the past! My bush morning glories and lions tails are growing nicely but I don't have blooms on either. Do you think I will since I just planted them this year? My bush morning glory is kind of tall and spindly. I am wondering if I should have done some pinching on it? Oh it pains me to do that!!

Bonnie

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

No way am I out of seeds for Sweet Hibiscus, hon! These puppies are having sex with themselves way too much for me to run out! LOL! I've got a packet tagged for you, Bonnie.

Pinch, Bonnie . . . I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that it will bloom come the springtime. Make certain to give them a little support as they get taller, though.

As for your lion's tail, in their first year they test your patience like mad . . . lots of nice and very tall greenery and none of that orange blooms nonsense - - until late August or early September when the flowering seems to occur overnight. All of that depends, of course, on them getting hours and hours of direct sunlight each day. If yours are getting morning sun only, you probably don't have nice straight-up growing plants but twisted sisters leaning to get to the light . . . Lion's tails can get into very shapes trying to stretch out to sunlight. Mine do not get direct light until about noon and then they get pounded with both heat and light until sunset - - next to the sunflowers, they're the toughest plants in my garden.

ATBTY ! ~ Łaz

Thumbnail by LazLo
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hey LazLo,
I'd love to get some seeds from you. I'm looking to move down that way in a couple of years or so. Love the area and am real impressed with all of the people I've met there!

Jackie

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

come and git'em, Jackie!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Many more of these seeds are still available.

Ł

Thumbnail by LazLo
North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

I am dmail-ing you...

Lucama, NC

Sending out for seeds! Hoping you still have some!
Bev

Montrose, AR(Zone 8a)

If you have some seeds left to share.. I would love to have some thanks Huney

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Got the seeds today with the "bonus" seeds included. How did you make the packet that the Lanceleaf coreopsis seeds are in? Also should I go ahead and plant the Coreopsis and Sweet Hibiscus seeds out in the garden now to give them a head start on next year or should I wait until the spring? Thanks! Your friend in Gardening.

Bonnie

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Bonnie - here's an idea - - take maybe a third of the seed and plant it out about mid-to-late September, as you would do with bluebonnet seeds. winter sow another third the week after Christmas. and then start the remainder in small pots in mid-Feb. or whenever the last threat of a frost is in Conroe . . . right now it's just too darned hot !!!

remember to mix in some ground cinnamon to inhibit damp-off !

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks Lazlo, will do.

Albany (again), NY(Zone 5b)

Ah, Austin - many warm memories from when I lived there in 1991 - 1999. Seems like a lifetime ago.

If you still have some seeds, I'd love to send an envelope for the seeds and try again - I rec'd some of these this year and with our weather they were demolished. I'll have to try the cinnamon approach.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

send on Sandra - seeds i got 'em!

I would like some. Do you have some left? Also. I think I have some seeds of the bush morning glory. Have never grown it before but was sent some seeds by a fellow dgarden member this winter. I have one growing in the backyard. Did yours grow like a bush, but have vines that wrapped around it also? Mine has not flowered yet so I have no idea what color it is. Would you like to have some seeds? I could spare a few.

Bubba1

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

There are still plenty of Sweet Hibiscus seeds available!

Also - - I just harvested another ten seed pods or so from my plant this morning!

The flower petals are really tasty in salads!!

Wilburn, AR

I would love some LazLo, if you have enough.
Thanks-grannyjanie

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

Thank you so much for this offer.
Putting an envelope in the mail this week
Cinda

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

would love a few as just getting in to hibscuses

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

Wonder would the Hibiscus stand the winter here? It should , wouldn't you think? I have already sent you one envelope But they so sound like interesting plants. Especially those cute little Tribbles. I love that episode of Star Trek.
You make seeds fun.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

the seeds resembling little Tribbles are those of the Bush Morning Glory . . . however to your question, Sweet Hibiscus has a hibiscus-like bloom but it is actually more related to Okra ... If your altitude gets you freezing weather just cut the plant down to the ground and protect the roots with a really generous covering of mulch before the snow flies.

seeds are fun . . . you can get a Pride of Barbados in a 3-gallon pot at Lowe's for about $20, dig a hole on your property and drop the plant into it. if it does not meet your expectations, you think of the wasted engraved portrait of Andrew Jackson. if you grew that Caesalpinia pulcherrima from a seed that you scarified, soaked and sowed - - you're watching something that you had a hand in creating . . . you're watching something loved, not bought.

JMTCW !

This message was edited Sep 10, 2009 8:51 PM

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

Amen. I will get you an envelope in the mail, I just didn't want to be greedy. Right now I don't have $20.oo to put in a hole. I'm retired so am on a limited income. But that is O.K. at least now I do what I want, instead of what someone else wants. Got to take the good with the bad. So what the heck, huh?

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Thumbnail by LazLo
Snellville, GA(Zone 8a)

lazlo may i have some seed please?

Thanks you

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Cindy - you have DMail !

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

################     CLOSED     ################
(these seeds will most likely be re-offered at the end of October)
~ Ł

Ames, NE(Zone 5b)

Don SASE is going out today..Thank You very much..

Tubby

SASE is already in box..Not to worry..Keep for all you do..

This message was edited Sep 14, 2009 11:13 AM

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i never thought of morning glory bush as little tribbles.
that is the only episodes i really love.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.