What the heck?

Tomah, WI

I went to the back side of the fence this evening to take a pix & noticed this. It seems to be a bud right down next to the base of the leaves. No stalk at all. This iris did not bloom for me this year, as it was new late last fall. The bud won't be able to open as it is wedged in there pretty tight. Have you seen this before?

Thumbnail by mattsmom
Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Yep, usually on Feedback which can be a continuous bloomer.

Of course I usually see this too in the spring during the freeze/thaw/freeze/thaw period and that's because the stalk get's stunted.

Roni

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

I had one last year that did that. It was planted the year before and I thought maybe it got too much moisture where it was at so moved it and it has grown ok but no bloom this year. Also lost the tag so ?

Owasso, OK(Zone 6b)

Blue Ensign last year, only stalk had been waiting for it to bloom for a couple of years, boy, was I disappointed

Thumbnail by Gabriel25
Owasso, OK(Zone 6b)

Blue Ensign this year, I was so glad to see it bloom and it had several stalks this year.

Thumbnail by Gabriel25
Owasso, OK(Zone 6b)

first pic, tried to help it, but it just rotted, thought was going to lose whole plant.

Normal, IL

Yup...as long as less infrequently, no concern.

Houghton Lake, MI(Zone 4b)

I had one like that in 2004, but it actually bloomed out of the ground.

Thumbnail by Mshadow
South Hamilton, MA

Probably cold damage.

Cherryvale, KS

That is what I call a short stem!!LOL Happy Friday BIF's!

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Do you find it odd these all are a darker color. Mine was also???

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

It's probably just cooincidence. I've had it happen on a broken color pattern, Cat's Eye, and on some of my yellows. I think it's mostly weather related.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I had one do it last year on a rebloom boy was I surprised !!! I'd never seen any thing like that before its all better now though ;0)
Gloria

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

As to color, our white TBI which I think is Immortality bloomed on a very short stalk. It was probably due to a very cold dry winter. At one time, we had a -17° Windchill, and over 71mph gusts of wind last Christmas.

Thumbnail by HappyJackMom
Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I have a rebloom that looks just like that????
Gloria

Tomah, WI

Well, the bloom just dried up. Couldn't open where it was, I guess.

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

I had one that I think is 'Navy Blues' bloom like that this year. You can't really tell in this picture but it bloomed straight out of the base of the plant. Pretty weird!

Thumbnail by art_n_garden

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.