Japanese Beetle invasion

(Darla) Dubuque, IA(Zone 5a)

My yard is being taken over by japanese beetles. They are really bad on my grape vines. If I spray them with liquid sevin will it hurt the grapes?
I have put out 2 beetle bag traps about 50 ft away from the grapes hoping to attrack them away from the grapes. It doesn't seem to be making a difference and maybe even attracking more. I've read good and bad about the traps. any comments?

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

Everything I've read says that the beetle traps just attract all your neighborhood beetles to your yard. Milky spore powder from HD or Lowes is a small step in the right direction. If a HOA were to band together and buy a quantity and use it, it might make a real difference the next year. If you have a several acre yard, it might be good for you to apply the milky spore yourself.

Any comments from other users of milky spore?

I hesitate to say eat Sevin, but the grapes won't be ripe for a long time and Sevin is supposed to have a (read your lable!) 3 or 4 day limit on food.

Short answer is I successfully used Sevin for grapes & Japanese beetles.

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

We're on our third beetle bag this season; the directions say to change the bag or the scent of dead beetles will repel live ones.
I have to say I've seen way fewer beetles on my echinacea since putting the trap up, but I was also occasionally walking through the garden with a small bucket of soapy water, and knocking in any beetles I spotted munching.
Make sure when you change the bag to seal it or the still-alive beetles will just crawl out!
Good luck with your grapes.
(Why can't bugs eat weeds instead of our prized plants? That would solve two problems at once! :-D )

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Why can't birds eat Japanese beetles instead of pretty butterflies and their larva.

Anyway, I feel your pain. I might have to resort to a trap just to see if it makes a difference. I'm chemical free in the back yard. Lawn service in the front.

Here's my virginia creeper. They are also going nuts on a couple of the flowers.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

Dardee4, did you use the liquid sevin? I (and other j. beetle sufferers) are waiting to hear your results. The BAD thing about sevin is that it kills bees so I just have to stand by and watch the Japanese beetles eat crape myrtle blossoms and zinnia blossoms and rose blossoms because bees frequent those. Bees are, to me, more valuable than perfect looking flowers, so I just step back 20' to admire the flowers when they are being attacked by Japanese beetles. I guess I took special pleasure in spraying my grapes and killing the beetles on them because no bees were present.
Paul

(Darla) Dubuque, IA(Zone 5a)

Paul, Yes I used sevin liquid, but had better results with the powder. I also have to stand by and watch them eat my dahlias,roses,hollyhocks, and all my other flowers. My DH has been picking them off flowers for me. As for the beetle traps they don't seem to be attracting more, but there are alot of traps in my neighborhood. so MAYBE a majority of them are leaving my yard and going to other yards. this past week it looks like they are slowing down alittle. haven't noticed as many around.

Darla

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

I read that they peaked last week. Now they'll start to go underground to lay eggs for next year. ugg.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.