A duck on a pond

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Today little ducky got to go onto the pond for the first time. Believe it or not, it did not want to go into the pond at first. I had to set it in a couple of times, each time it would hop out and come to me. Third time's a charm though and soon I could not get him to come in for a nap! Kids!

Here's a series of way too cute pictures.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

A.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

B. Tackling the water hyacinth

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

C. Checking on "Mom"

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

D. A bite to eat.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

E. Cruising the pond.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

F. Ohhhh, MORE to eat!

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

G. Careful maneuver around the water!

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

H. Last for now, a rest on the lily pads

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Ooops, messed up on G. Here you go!

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Chicago, IL

Wow. Way too cute Mrs.Ed

Some nice shots in there too.

Marlton, NJ

Oh he is too adorable Marna!!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

On the cuteness scale of one to ten I would say this little fella rates an eleven. Great feel good shots Marna...and lots more to look forward to I hope!!

Thanks! You know, it really was fun to watch it act like an excited kid experiencing something fun for the first time!

Marlton, NJ

Oh your Mommy meter must really be soaring,lol!

you bet!

Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

Oh my!!! Sooo cute!!!!

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Your love for this innocent duckling is so obvious through your photos. That little one is so adorable and you make the perfect mama.

Your pictures are the best and I hope we'll be seeing lots more. Have you named this cutie yet?

Melbourne, FL

Adorable...are you planning on keeping him?

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

See, I told you he would grab your heart...and not let go! Great photos! He is so adorable...I want to come visit my nephew ;o)

Kim

Well the heart is grabbed, but he's starting to get independent already!!! Only one day of behaving! HEE! It was the first pond swim that did it. Now he won't listen to his mother.

GP, duckmother tells me that I won't want to give him up, but now the plan stands to keep him for 3 weeks and then off to a farm with other mallards. I think my goldfish and the cat think that's a grand Idea too!

We always say the girls are independent early...so, you may have a girl!

Well then, SHE's going to be a handful. You should hear her chatting away tonight. She had three trips to the pond today, so I'm hoping she'll be sleepy. She's no longer hiding under the towels, but now sits atop the heating pad in her cage (and fall asleep with her bill on her tiny wing).

Melbourne, FL

We all know she would be better with her own kind when the time comes...but it sure would hard to give her up.

PERTH, Australia

She is exquisite. You're doing a sterling job and the pond looks great.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Cute overload! How precious that you get to spend this month with her.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I just love everybit of this ... the thread about your little darling made my morning! Thanks Mrs_Ed for sharing.

Just have a box of tissues with you, when you take the little girl to the farm!

Here's a couple pix from a second swim yesterday. Nothing this morning as it's storming.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

LOL Duckmother! Yah. perhaps it will be a tad longer than 3 weeks ;)

♫ Ain't she sweet! See her paddling down the...stream. ♫ Almost goes with the song...

ha. Here she is being all sassy.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

How could that innocent cutie be called "sassy"? I just really think all these pictures would make a wonderful child's story book. What better way to teach the act of kindness?

This message was edited Jul 10, 2009 7:37 AM

Because now she's SASSY when she gets in that pond. LOL. I'll have to try to get a picture of her when she goes for a fly. It's pretty funny. On her second trip (of 3 yesterday) to the pond I had told DH how she would come to me, no problem! WELL. She proved me wrong and kept swimming away! SASSY! hee.

PERTH, Australia

Marna, DH says you should call her "Fate". You built a pond and now you have a duckling.

He also says if it's reluctant to enter the pond, you should get in there, try to float and look like a duck, doing a little bit of quacking and it'll be sure to follow you in.

This message was edited Jul 11, 2009 6:41 AM

Once again Margaret, your DH and my DH are sympatico. Ed articulated the same on thoughts about the "fate". And, HAR HAR on the pond. Don't think I'd fit. He's welcome to put in his little boat though. *snort*

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

LOL you two!

Well we had another good swim on the pond late this afternoon. In fact, we had a couple of first. Duckmother had told me to not panic when I saw the little one dunk it's head under the water. Today is the first time we saw that behavior, having a little wash. It was, of course, adorable. Sorry I did not capture it on photo.

Also, the little squirt also climbed out on of the pond and sat on a rock to call me when she was done. "come get me!"

Here are three pix… This first is a little break she took on the "far" side of the pond.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Here she has a little drink.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

And here she is, in all her glory, right before calling me to come get her.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.