Falso Banana - Ensete ventricosum 'Maurelii'?

Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

I think this might be the wrong place to ask this question. But, I didn't know where else to go. I live in New England and have no problem in the fall cutting my Cannas back (they are in pots) - storing them in the basement - bringing them out in the Spring and they grow just fine. My green elephant ears, I dig up the blubs, store over the winter & replant in the Spring. My black elephant ears I had no luck with replanting the blubs in the Spring. Thus, I bring them into the house every fall & keep them alive through the winter (they are barely alive by Spring). I take them out when the weather is warmer and they have always come back beautifuly. Please if you know how I should treat my 'Maurelii' over our New England winters let me know. I would like to keep it alive for years to come.
Thanks
Debbie

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

Do you have it planted in the ground?

Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

No I potted the plant in a large pot. So it is easily movable. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Debbie

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

If it is short enough, I would bring it into the house, pot and all. I've never done this, but I know people who cut theirs back, dig them up, wrap the roots in moist newspaper, and store them in their attic for the winter.

You might try on the Tropical Plants forum for more information.

Maurelli get really huge. I saw some at a garden center in Wisconsin, and they were enormous (in barrel planters). The worker their told me it took 5 guys to carry them in.

Maybe once they get big, you can make a deal with some business in the area- put it in their atrium or lobby for the winter. Or, start saving money for a big greenhouse!

:)

Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

lakesidecallas, Thanks for your help! I would love a greenhouse. You have a great sense of humor.
Debbie

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

Thanks. Having a gh is a good and bad thing. I've wanted one for many years, saved my money and bought one. Then I promptly started buying plants like crazy and filled it up too fast. Now every year I have to squeeze things in.
Still, it's my dream come true.

Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

It is one of my dreams. I'm glad you were able to make yours come true. I don't need a greenhouse to purchase plants. I've run out of room in my gardens. I had to go out today & purchase 100.00 worth of pots & potting soil. I still came home with a new plant. I'll find room for it some where.
Debbie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.