Which people-powered lawnmower would you recommend

PERTH, Australia

I want to get a lightweight, people powered lawn mower to tackle the Oxalis on our council verge, which has an area of approximately 350 square metres. Does anyone have any feedback on the various brands of mower available?

Merino, Australia

Hello Margaret. The best mower of any sort for Oxalis is Roundup. Get rid of it quick
Jean.

western sydney nsw, Australia

Hi Margaret,
dont buy "OZITO " they have 2 year warranty after 3 months and 5 replacement of plastic parts it is now a feature in the carport .--------sammut

PERTH, Australia

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

Robertstown, Australia(Zone 10a)

Hi Margaret,
I have one of these: http://www.flymo.com/node2415.aspx?nid=48754 I've had it for years, it works fairly well, but the "catcher" is a joke and I don't use it any more. IF you mow regularly it is very easy to use, if the grass gets too tall you have problems with jamming and stuff winding in the reel - (I have EVIL grass). I would think oxalis would be a breeze though, as the plants are much softer than any lawn grass. You need to use the mower for a while to get a feel for the blade adjustment (there is a knob above each wheel that you turn) If the blade is too loose the mower pushes easily but it doesn't cut well, if it is too tight the mower is hard to push and the roller will stick. The sweet spot in between will give you a nice cut, as fast as you can walk. I love my mower - no cords, no petrol, it's great!

Ciao, KK.

western sydney nsw, Australia

OH yes I had a Flymo never remembered the brand till I saw it written it was spot on the problum was it was left behind when I moved my husband used it to cut the lawn in the center of drive way it was ths same width every second day he used it we had it for years out lasted big power mower used on the rest of the lawn. ----------Sammut

PERTH, Australia

Thanks again. I'll investigate a Flymo.

77, I'm reluctant to use Roundup, because it's such a large area that I'd have to spray and I wouldn't want any to drift onto the numerous native plants that are on the verge.

Merino, Australia

If you are careful and pick a still day, you could do the main centre then paint the rest near your other plants. My sprayer has a long wand that keeps the spray close to the ground.
Jean.

PERTH, Australia

Thanks Jean. That would be worth considering.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.