Five Little Bluebirds And How They Grew

Stafford County, VA

Could be, Lily, Could be...

Here StepDad struggles to keep his balance.

Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave
Stafford County, VA

A continuation of the action just above. Here you can see he is beginning to molt.

Stafford County, VA

And here too.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Dave, before I say goodnight. I wanted to pay you my complement, the pictures' clarity and all the shots are so beautiful.

I saw many blue birds in the Island I live in, no doubt my neighbors have birdhouses for them. I thought of you and yours (blue birds) today when I saw blue birds flying about. Thank you for sharing those wonderful moment with me/others on DG.

Stafford County, VA

You are certainly welcome Lily.

Here is a shot of StepDad leaving. This shot was taken incredibly close. Perhaps four feet, if that. I love the way the late afternoon sun highlights the feathers and gives you the feeling of movement.

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

Incredible series of photos, Dave, with supporting narrative. And, congratulations on your granddaughter's marriage.

Stafford County, VA

Thanks on both counts, Charlie

Stafford County, VA

Here are a few more taking off shots I found on the card from another camera. Most were taken too close.

Stafford County, VA

Another taken late this afternoon.

Stafford County, VA

And another, headed upward.

Stafford County, VA

And lastly, one of a fledgling, again taken about as close as the camera's autofocus would allow. Unfortunately, the bird is in the shade and the background is sunlit. Hence, the lack of detail.

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Dave, Your pictures and acccompanying story lines have both entertained and taught me tremendously. I cannot thank you enough...Each day I tue in hoping to find another chapter or page of your fine work., even the ones that you make critical comments are usually stunning to me!!

Wing waves to ya!
~Sheri~

Marlton, NJ

Wonderful shots Dave!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Incredible shots. I will for sure be watching this one.

Janet

Stafford County, VA

Another shot, taken this morning -- in fact, about 10 minutes ago.

South Hamilton, MA

Dave, are you entering these pictures in any photo contests? Special is the one with the male with a beak filled with mealworms & the 2 kids. that one alone is a prize.

Stafford County, VA

Thank you Iris, but No, I haven't and probably never will. I find the judges at contests to be too subjective (translation: anyone whose taste differs from mine), I am often amazed at some of the winners. Besides, I get genuine enjoyment from sharing them with people like you who really love all kinds of birds. Of course it is flattering when a magizine asks to use a picture, especially if it is for their cover.

Apparently Mama has decided it is time to have the youngsters stop begging. If she is immediately next to one that does it, she pecks them in the head. If she is too far away to peck them she flies right at them and they run (fly) for their lives. As here, a few minutes ago.

The only remaining question is whether she will allow this brood to stay around when the next brood fledges. They are already starting to get in the way, hanging around the nest box a lot and it obviously displeases her. I do hope she lets them stay all winter.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Tough love! Yep, mama is practicing tough-love. It's wonderful mother nature knows best! Thanks again Dave for being a part of our wonderful DG members.

Marlton, NJ

I always feel bad for them when the "chase away" time comes.

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Dave, that's exactly my thoughts about contests. I entered a few in the county fair and I find their tastes to be so different from mine, Even in categories I was not entered in! LOL.

Stafford County, VA

You're welcome, Kim. Now, as attorney for the children I would point out that they may not always be begging. It is so hot and humid here today that most of the birds have their mouths open, panting. But like the judges, Mrs. Ed, Mama is apparently subjective. It looks a lot like begging to her.

And Pele, I agree, it is the saddest time of all and there is absolutely nothing we can do about it.

This message was edited Jul 22, 2009 2:44 PM

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Dave, your photos are always absolutely perfect to me. It's hard to even pick a favorite!

Stafford County, VA

Thank you Duc. You always say the nicest things.

Here is an example of what I meant while back about the juvies hanging around the nest box. For some reason Mama likes to think no one knows she has a nest in there. Every bird in the yard knows it.

Marlton, NJ

heehee, yea thats not good!

South Hamilton, MA

Afterall, birds like kids have to grow up & these must do so before winter.

Stafford County, VA

I know, Pele, I know. I will begin a new thread tomorrow.

I am always trying for in-flight shots and these days, with StepDad in his guarding mode, chasing any bird that comes near the juvies as they feed, I am more often able to catch him as he leaves. Here are a few taken late this afternoon.

Stafford County, VA

Another. They don't always have the wings in just the right position but I keep them if the eyes are in good focus.

Stafford County, VA

Here's a cute one of one of the juveniles jumping from one branch to another.

Stafford County, VA

Another taken in the late afternoon sun. The morning sun seems to overpower the lighter colors but the afternoon sun is softer and creates a real nice effect.

Stafford County, VA

Here's a close shot of StepDad. As you can see, I always focus on the eye.

Stafford County, VA

One more. He is beginning to look ragged but he will look a lot worse by mid August. But by mid October he will be pretty as a picture.

Marlton, NJ

LOL, Dave I didn't even notice the thread was getting long. ( I was enjoying it so much) Great shots; especially the juvenile!

Melbourne, FL

Super shots, Dave. They must be so much fun to watch!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Wonderful as always Dave...it is always such a pleasure to view your Blues. The juveniles make me want to hug my computer!!

LOL on starting a new thread!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.