Five Little Bluebirds And How They Grew

Stafford County, VA

This is really a continuation of a thread that grew far too long so I had to start a new one. If you should want to refer back to the previous one, here is a link:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1004959/

I should begin by acknowledging (or depending on how this thread unwinds, apologizing to) Margaret Sydney (or more appropriately, her heirs) for borrowing so heavily on the title of her book.

The five little ones that fledged 2 weeks ago today are all alive and doing well. Their replacement father, who stepped in when their paternal father was killed, is still working hard. The more I watch him the more I can tell he is young and new to this business of raising youngsters.

There are two empty nest boxes in the yard and he and Mama check them out regularly. But so far she has not given any indication that she is going for a fourth nesting. Three is normal in this area and four nestings, while not unheard of, is indeed rare.

With the last post on the previous thread I included a picture of Mama feeding the first fledgling that came down to the feeder. Three days is like years in bird time and now they all follow the parents to the deck and several of the fledglings already know how to enter the cage and feed themselves. But when the mockingbirds or the sparrows show up and things get frantic around the feeder, they still fly back to the tree top and wait for the parents to bring supper to them.

I really don't have a plan on how to present these pictures. Things happen unexpectedly and I may not get them posted in chronological order. But what the heck. I'm an old man and an amateur, so bear with me. I only hope I can avoid posting the same ones twice. :-)

This message was edited Jul 22, 2009 2:46 PM

Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave
Stafford County, VA

These first several are from today. As I said, I will probably wander all over the place since I have several days pictures that I am working on.

Stafford County, VA

Typical shot

Stafford County, VA

Also typical. We lose a lot of meal worms.

Stafford County, VA

Here a fledge tries to figure out the meal worm cage.

Stafford County, VA

Success!

Stafford County, VA

Won't be long before there are two in there.

Stafford County, VA

Switching scenes. This happened this morning. As you can see, it is permissible to stand on your brother in order to get closer to the meal worms.

Stafford County, VA

Another shot an instant later.

Stafford County, VA

One more. By this time he is pounding his poor brother into the ground.

Stafford County, VA

Here he finally gets off him.

Stafford County, VA

Well, whatever it takes, I guess.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Dave, wonderful pictures of the darling Blue Birds as always. Thank you for sharing those adorable pictures.
Kim

Stafford County, VA

You're welcome, Lily. Here are a couple of the fledglings

Stafford County, VA

He comes in slow and everyone ducks.

Stafford County, VA

Sorta reminds me of the Navy pilots landing on a carrier.

Stafford County, VA

Touchdown!

Stafford County, VA

Another fledge waiting...

Stafford County, VA

Another. This one a female, I think.

South Hamilton, MA

I'm so glad that that group of babies were successful in fledging.

Stafford County, VA

Oh me too also. You can't imagine how relieved I was (and am).

Here is a sequence that took place 2 days ago. This is the first fledgling that came to the feeder. He was also the first to go inside the cage. At first he seemed not to know how to get out and I worried that a house sparrow might trap him in there. Here he gets right down in the meal worm bowl. But soon a female house sparrow approaches.

This message was edited Jul 8, 2009 11:40 PM

Melbourne, FL

Great pics, Dave. They must be such fun to watch! Except when they have to deal with the House Sparrows....

This message was edited Jul 8, 2009 6:57 PM

Stafford County, VA

Here the HOSP actually pecks the fledgling on the head.

Stafford County, VA

Yes they are GP, especially at this stage. They are clumsy and cute and just a photographer's dream.

Here the fledge decides to leave and Step Dad flies down from the trees, with mealies still in his beak.

Stafford County, VA

Here the Step Dad takes it to the HOSP, still with mealies in his beak. The fledge makes his escape.

Stafford County, VA

Well, he hasn't quite escaped. Notice the HOSP. Apparently not worried about Step Dad, she goes for the meal worms in his beak.

Stafford County, VA

It is Step Dad that leaves first, but notice who is still in the feeder and has one of his meal worrms.

This message was edited Jul 8, 2009 8:05 PM

Melbourne, FL

Those things are really nasty. I'm sure you hate seeing them in your yard.

Marlton, NJ

Excellent pics Dave! All the fledges look great. I'm so happy everything is going well!

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Dave, your photos and continuing story is as good as any television show and certainly more interesting than a soap opera. Thanks for sharing your little friends with us. Excellent photos! More!!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Outstanding series Dave and thanks for the update. All the shots are great...one of my favorites is the fledge standing on his brothers head...too funny! So happy that all is working out well for this nesting season! Seems like it has been a long one.

Stafford County, VA

Well, Rose it apparently will be even longer.

If this isn't a picture of Gene Shalit, it must be Mama building nest number four. And she has been working at it all day. I am surprised, to say the least.

Stafford County, VA

Here's a shot of the step dad. You can see I switched to an open plate feeder, hoping to get several of the fledglings together. I did manage to get four and I will post that shot shortly. But there is one that is shy and stays off to itself, about 10 feet from the others. Here step dad is loading up to go feed it. Notice the sides of the plate are not very high or slick and some of the worms are trying to escape.

This message was edited Jul 10, 2009 12:00 AM

This message was edited Jul 10, 2009 1:33 AM

Stafford County, VA

Here are four of the five fledglings.

This message was edited Jul 10, 2009 1:34 AM

Stafford County, VA

Here's another shot, this one with a song sparrow tying to sneak a worm.

Stafford County, VA

Here, he comes back again, but the fledges seem determined not to let him steal one.

Marlton, NJ

LOL, those adoarable fledges!

Great shots Dave!

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Adorable is right! And Mom plans on another brood - there are so many twists and turns in the world of birds. Thanks for sharing them. ^_^

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Dave, I would love to have a MW feeder like yours. Do you know where they are available? Or perhaps you made yours.
Wild Birds Unltd here says they have never seen one like that in catalogues.

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Cute, cute, cute!! Happy to hear the story of the bluebirds will continue. Great pictures!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.