SOLVED: What the Hosta is this?

Virginia Beach, VA(Zone 8b)

I usually keep record (and the tags) of my plants so I know exactly what I have, but in time I've lost track of what kinda Hosta I have. The picture is one I took about 3 years ago when I put it in the ground, but since then it's tripled in size. It just recently flowered (light lavender flowers, non fragrant).

Thumbnail by littlelamb
Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

I just bought that very one for my SIL for her birthday. I'll give her a call and get the name for you. It may take a little while. But if no one else gets to it first I'll get back with you later on.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

How large is it Was the flower on a tall scape or a short one? A bare one or a leafy one? Are the leaves still smooth as in your picture or are they seer-suckered?

A few come to mind - Grant Tiara, Gemini Moon, Last Dance and Summer Breeze. They vary in size and leaf quite a bit.

Ann

Westerly, RI

I have one of these. The leaves look the same but it is still a baby

Thank you for the replies so far..most appreciated... :)

I took a current picture this afternoon. The flower stalk is fading away, but you can still see the size of it.

The plant is about 1 1/2 ft tall and about 2 ft wide (moved it in the Spring). The leaves are smooth, but it has some ripples. Is that was seer sucker is?? I'm still learning gardening lingo... :) The flower stalk itself was about 2-3 ft tall. Hope that gives more of a description. It's a beautiful Hosta!

Thumbnail by littlelamb
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I'm not really sure, but if you post this over on the Hostas forum, you'll get some really good guesses.

Ann

Cape Coral, FL

I'm not sure what the name is. But that little fellow sure is a cutie. I'm going plant shopping today; I'm totally in love with your plant. If I find it I'll tell you the name :)

ViolaAnn: I originally wanted to post this in the Hosta forum, but I'm not a paying subscriber (not yet) so I'm unable to do it... :( I'm almost tempted to check out the Hosta Society and see if they can identify it...I just like to put a name with my plants.

Banana26: Thanks!... :) It has a lovely color...pictures do it no justice.

Thanks so far everyone!!

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

littlelamb: Earlier I told you I'd check with my SIL about the name of the one I bought for her birthday. I really think this is it after the photo and the physical description. The name of hers is "Fortunel Patriot". I think that's what you have.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Fortunel would be Fortunei.

There is not Fortunei Patriot. The Fortunei hostas are:

'Fortunei Albomarginata' AHS (R) 1987
White margin - not what you have

'Fortunei Albopicta' N. Hylander & AHS (R) 1987
starts out light in the centre and turns green during the year - again, not what you have.

'Fortunei Aurea' N. Hylander & AHS (R) 1987
Greenish yellow - not what you have

'Fortunei Aureomarginata' N. Hylander & AHS (R) 1987
has a yellow margin, but not as wide as yours. I have a lovely Fortunei Aureomarginata - picture attached.

'Fortunei Hyacinthina' N. Hylander & AHS (R) 1987
green - not what you have

'Fortunei Obscura' N. Hylander & AHS (R) 1987

'Fortunei Rugosa' N. Hylander & AHS (R) 1987

'Fortunei Stenantha' N. Hylander & AHS (R) 1987

'Fortunei Viridis' AHS (R) 1987
deep green - not what you have

'Patriot' is a hosta, but it's green with a WHITE border.

Ann

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Looking through my Color Encyclopedia of Hostas, 'Fragrant Dream' looks a lot like it. Maybe montana 'Auroemarginata' as the yellow margins are wider than the Fortunei variety. 'Parky's Prize, but I think it's too small. Maybe 'Patrician' or 'Queen Josephine' or 'Triumph'. Have a look at picture on the Hosta Library picture pages and see if anything matches.

Give some consideration to becoming a DG subscriber. It opens up a lot of opportunities.

Ann

Anchorage, AK

Hey there! I googled for the heck of it and there does appear to be a Hosta Fortunei Patriot, but it has white borders. Possibly the tag was mixed up when your plant was at the nursery. Now THAT never happens! ;)

This message was edited Jul 9, 2009 6:36 PM

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

You may have found Hosta Fortunei Patriot, it's an archaic name, no longer used. 'Patriot' is a sport of 'Francee' and 'Francee' is a sport of 'Fortunei Albomarginata'; so it's in the same family, but the Fortunei is not used that far down the line.

BTW "albomarginata" means white margined and "aureomarginata" means yellow margined.

And yes, tags do get mixed up. LOL

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

My SIL read the tag from the plant to me this afternoon. Evidently she mis-read the I for and L but she didn't mis-read Patriot. That's all I have to go on. I'm not as well-versed as all of you on that. Just reading labels.

Thanks so much guys!!

I looked at the Queen Josephine picture and it looks very similar to it. Besides...I like the name... :) It makes it sound kinda regal. I have been searching high and low and that's the closest I can find to what mine looks like. I did not realize how vast the world of Hostas are so next time I will take alittle care in hanging onto the tags after I plant.

Anchorage, AK

It's a difficult thing! I keep my tags inside usually, not with the plant. That way I can dig for them when I want and they aren't buried in the dirt somewhere or sticking out in my garden. Yes, the world of Hostas is mind boggling :) Now you see why there's an entire forum on DG for them LOL!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

My collection now numbers about 145 varieties and that's small compared to many on the Hosta forum. I use good quality markers on the plants themselves and keep the plastic markers in binder sheets designed to hold baseball trading cards (cut them to fit). I also take regular pictures of the collection so I have a good record of what I have and where it is in the garden.

Anchorage, AK

Photo's are great! I do that too. It's wonderful when you want to add but can't recall where those bulbs were. It was also great to have when the gas company decided to add a line in winter & all I had were stubs to go by. Plus it's great fun to look at how your garden has grown and a lifesaver in the winter :)
Impressive Hosta collection!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

LittleLamb.....You will never regret the $20 /yr to join Daves. Hope you do some day.

Anchorage, AK

Yes absolutely! Best $20 I ever spent! ;) Have you seen how many discussion forums there are to check out? You could be on DG for hours...dangerous LOL! Plus lots and lots of really nice people who share your passion(s), definitely consider joining.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

littlelamb;
That is so true. I found DG because of fire blight on my Photenias at work. I needed to find a treatment for it. Thanks to Google, DG was the top of the list. That was in January. I did the $5.00, 2-month membership just so I could see what was here and as soon as I got the notice that my subscription was near its end, I re-newed for a year. I can't imagine not having a membership in DG now. It would just be weird. It is addictive though, be warned.

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

I think that your hosta looks like my "great expectations".

Antioch, TN

Littlelamb, that's the problem with hostas. They oftentimes look alike.
Yours look just like my -Widebrim. See if that is what you have.

Thumbnail by velmansia
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

That's a very good possibility. The colours are reversed for Great Expectations.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Altamonte Springs, FL(Zone 9a)

Viola....could you please help me with the untagged one I bought today from a nursery that only knew it was a Hosta and suggested I go on line to fine out.......so here I am....It is beautiful.

Thumbnail by Cliffff
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I don't think that's a hosta. The flower, at least, doesn't look like any hosta flower I've ever seen. Can you get a better shot of the whole plant and what the leaves look like?

Ann

This message was edited Jul 12, 2009 3:05 PM

that's not a Hosta, it's a Hoya plant

Rachel

Antioch, TN

The leaves are definitely Hoya but the flower looks different from the ones I have seen.

I'm very seriously considering subscribing cause of the other forums. It would be great to get advice about certain plants from people who have more experience than I have. I love advice that I can pass along to someone else.

The 'Widebrim' does look very similar...it's so hard when they tend to look alike. Thank you for your help!!

:)

Indianapolis, IN

Liberty. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.