Rudbeckia hirta "Goldilocks"

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I just love these! This is my first year planting seeds of these. I got the seeds from Thompson-Morgan. These are actually prettier than the pictures. I planted them in front of a wooden fence. I think they are my favorite plants in the garden right now!

Thumbnail by echinaceamaniac

Here's another picture...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

That's a beaut!

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

What a cheerful flower, I love them. They make a delightful border along the fence, really nice. Will they reseed for you? I think we both like all that double fluff. My fav flower, well one of anyway in the garden right now would be very similar although not a coneflower, the daisy 'Gold Rush'.

Springfield, IL(Zone 5b)

a gal here at work brought in a bouquet with some of those in it..they are simply beautiful!

I think these will reseed, but I plan on saving as many as I can. I don't think you could have too many of these!

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Wicked photo. Just awesome. I don't think I could have waited for that many blooms before posting a photo!!!

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Right! Beauties...Makes my yellow-lovin' heart beat fast:))

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

They should reseed. I have had these in my garden for three years, and they are by far my favorite rubeckia.

Thumbnail by pennefeather
McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

They also have one of the largest flowers.

Thanks for the photos. I passed this one by when I was ordering Rudbeckia seeds last fall. Big mistake.
Jon

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

I may need these, too:)

I planted these for my mom and dad. They loved them. I wintersowed them and had tons of them germinate. They seem to be one of the easiest of all Rudbeckias to grow from seeds. If you don't have these, you must get them!

These plants just keep going and going! I think I'm going to plant these with Pink Poodle Echies next year. I think the blooms look like a similar form.

Or how about with Echinacea "Hot Lava". Now that would really make a statement!

It would look like somethings on fire.

LOL. Opps I meant Hot Papaya. I'm getting the "hots" all mixed up.

I hate to admit it, but these Rudbeckias are prettier than any of the Echinaceas I've grown.

The lady who delivers my mail yelled at me about them yesterday saying how much she likes them. The Echinaceas in front (full sun) are looking very ratty while these look like some floral arrangement!

If I get my Hot Papaya by next year I'll consider it. LOL. That one is slow to arrive. I ordered it at the same time as "Pink Poodle."

The only problem is I think this Rudbeckia looks so much better than the Echinaceas...she might make them look bad. :(

This message was edited Jul 10, 2009 11:15 AM

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

That's because the rudbeckia will bloom consistantly until frost gets them, but the echinncea has limited blooms, even when deadheading it. I just started some more irish eyes, cappucino rubeckia and zinnias a couple of days ago so that things will still look good when my perennials begin to poop out in September.

LOL. Anything putting on a burst of blooms looks great compared to something on a downswing. Most of my Echinacea that were on a heavy bloom cycle a month ago and now in the reloading phase. Trust me, many of the Rudbeckias behave in the same fashion. Soon they will go into a more quiet stage and then probably start up all over again.

Jon, here the Rudbeckias bloom all the way to frost. The Echies are already about done for the year. They don't rebloom often here.

My Rudbeckias generally bloom non stop from about late May through Nov/Dec, They keep blooming, but there are up and down cycles in the number of blooms. Same thing with the Echinacea here.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Wow...that is a pretty one!! I almost bought that one but didn't! Some of my rudbeckias ar about to bloom. I don't remember not which I planted where so will have to wait and see who did wel and who didn't!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Nice photo nanny. The foliage looks flawless.

These look even better now...

Here they are with bee balm and the Cherry Brandy Rudbeckias...I did get one that looks red! Ignore the weeds...This particular patch is at my parents' house...They refuse to help me weed their plants. LOL.

This message was edited Jul 13, 2009 2:16 PM

Springfield, IL(Zone 5b)

Very pretty!

I have one of the Cherry Brandy rudbeckias that is blooming, but it's more of the brown-ish shade than the lovely maroon your is.

Super photos and nice color combination. Two of my "Cherry Brandy" rudbeckias have a few blooms that are a bit more red, but not a dramatic change. I am starting to see some newer blooms on Cherry Brandy that have more petals and are beginning to look more like double petaled blooms. The first month or so they have been strictly singles.

Here's a photo I just took showing how the blooms on "Cherry Brandy" are starting to evolve into doubles.
Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

That's pretty wild on the Cherry Brandy. I may have to go look at mine again. Hate to say that I gave up on them. Like the look of the monarda with the ruds.

Yeah, it is a different look. I'm just giving them their time and in no hurry to pull them out. It took quite some time to grow them from seed and quite a few never made it this far.

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

I've left mine in for the same reason, lol! I ended up with 3 plants from the ones I ws'ed. We had a very wet late winter/early spring which seemed to take its toll with the seedlings.

I can relate. The plants that did die on me here died during a period when we had excessive rains. A type of root rot set in and they immediately died within 3 or 4 days. The root ball was a gooey mess when I removed them.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I love the fact that you can mix and match rudbeckia...

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

...and they always look good together.

Yeah, they do look good together...all of them. Well, maybe on second thought, we might still want to isolate the "Cherry Brandy" until it decides what it wants to be. LOL

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I'm actually going to pull up one of my rosebushes this fall, and replace it with rudbeckia and coneflowers. The roses look great with the first flush, and then they tend to look sickly for the rest of the summer. There are three bushes there, but I'm just taking out one for now.

I moved a rosebush in the back yard last week, and replaced it with a large milkweed plant that that growing over my walkway.

I know roses are popular but they are so annoying. I do have one of those Knockout plants and it's blooming great!

I can totally relate pennefeather. I have had 4 hybrid tea roses for two years now and they rarely show me anything. They just get real leggy down here because they grow all year. You have to continually prune them way back and you might get 2 or 3 nice blooms before you have to start the process all over again. I also have been thinking I could probably do something better with the space they take up.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.