Your Pruning Questions

Delaware, OH

Hi all. I am leaving Friday, July 10 to attend a pruning workshop on Saturday, July 11. I found out about it in a listing of events put out by the International Clematis Society. It is in Portland Oregon, led by Linda Beutler.
Would be happy to take your good pruning questions out there to ask and get clarifying info for us.
If you have any, please post them on this thread and I will endeavor to get information to share on this topic, posting the answers when i return mid week the following week. Not sure you will have any, but i am looking forward to the opportunity to spend some time learning from a very credible expert vs reading her book and will be happy to take your questions with me.

Will be touring come local clem gardens including Joy Creek and Brewster Rogersons collection as well. will take photos if allowed to do so....very excited about this opportunity and hope to learn much.

Appleton, WI

I don't have any questions, but I hope you have a fantastic time (I'm sure you will) and you get to take many pictures.

Taylorsville, KY

I just wanted to express my deep appreciation for all you do in this forum. I'm just starting with clems but have learned a WHOOOLE lot from you and been inspired and amused to boot. I hope you have a successful, enjoyable trip and I look forward to your input afterwards....kim

Delaware, OH

hey, thanks guys. i will take notes and anything that is new to me or sounds counterintuitive to general practices i will post for you guys to review. i am very excited about the trip. seeing the gardens, the pruning information and the chance to ask linda b some questions!

W of Cleveland, OH(Zone 5a)

Guru,

Just wanted to add my best wishes for a great trip - I'm sure it will be both informative and fun. Is there anything better than following your passion?

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

CG, I would give anything to be able to attend a workshop such as this. I'm sure we will all want to hear all about it when you return.
What's ironic is that now that I have a chance to get all my pruning questions answered, I can't think of any more right now. I asked you so many during recent months that I think you've answered them all. I think your thread about pruning not being a rocket science convinced me just to "chill" and not to worry about it so much.

I think that any more questions I have about pruning will have to come from the experience of growing them a full year and "trial and error." I am wondering, however, why we wait until early spring to prune our 3's instead of doing it at the beginning of winter. Is there an advantage to keeping the growth on the plant during the winter? I know I can prune them any time I want to, but I've read in so many places to prune early spring.

This past spring, I was having blooms on some 2's when you still had snow on the ground, I believe. So, is it safe to assume that we wait until we think our last frost is over to prune our 3's? (I hope that's not a dumb question.)

Columbus, OH

Clem Guru, I know you will have big time fun. Looking forward to reading your articles
from this trip.

wish I could ask a pruning question, but all of my clems are the same height as SSV shipped. (Received my first order last week.)
Now that planting is over I can't wait for the need to prune.

Have a fun safe trip.
confussedlady

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8b)

Clem Guru,
Have a great trip. You will be really close to Washington. Will you have a chance to visit Debbie in Yacoult, Washington? Thank you so much for all your wonderful posts and advice. I feel like I know you! You make becoming a clematis addict so much fun. Thanks many times. Mary

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Had no power last night which ended up being a nice change to talk with the neighbors.
I am sure you will have a wonderful trip. What could be better than sharing your passion with other addicts. I wonder if your list of must haves will grow.
Safe travels.

Delaware, OH

thanks all. yes will be meeting deb f/ssv. i only started ordering a year ago from her and have never met her. she has really helped improve my clem world as far as jump starting plants....
hope i meet brewster rogerson, imagine i will. mary toomey is sometimes in that area too, i have met her twice before, she is amazing. an dapparently seeing joy creekgardens is a must. can't wait.
sharkey good question actually and i will check it out. i think the reason you want the vine on the type 3's in the winter is that if you cut them off too late in the year, and there is a warm spell, new growth could push out that would then get killed with frost. clems are so hardy, some would be pushing new shoots up even with weather in 30's and then bye bye new shoot. i will clarify on this. plus even where wether is not so severe, it gives clem a chance to be dormant or almost dormant for awhile which is rest they need for the fab spring show they have in store for you.
beleive me i will take notes and any new info or different slant will be hotlined to you all as soon as i return. wil start a thread to if i et any good pics.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.