Odd but true

Athol, MA

I snapped this photo at the place where I vacation in Cape Porpoise, Me. The owner tells me that it could be over 100 years old and still bears alot of apples. I never seen anything like this that still produces fruit. Just thought I'd share it with you.

Thumbnail by audreyannewert
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

that is an interesting specimen. Thanks for sharing.

I read that the standard life for fruit trees such as apricots is about 12 years, and mine is starting to have dying branches, but I am hoping to keep it going for a little longer. That picture gives me renewed hope.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
I read that the standard life for fruit trees such as apricots is about 12 years

That's when they are grown on dwarfing rootstocks, to give small plants for easy commercial harvesting - means they are also weak plants. When they are on more vigorous rootstocks, they are much longer-lived (but get too large to harvest easily!)

Resin

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

I believe it. We live near the historic Lincoln Highway (US Route 30). There are sections of the road near us that have ancient looking apple trees, old and gnarly. I swear Johnny Appleseed planted them!

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

We used to collect apples, and pears from old neglected ancient trees. when you prune them they
become good producers again. I cannot say for how many or how to, I am not an arborist at all.
Just remember standing on our horses saddles and picking apples and pears from old trees up
by houses that were gone for over 50 years. Roses also were in the gardens!
Sher

Athol, MA

Sher
I read your entry to my mother who is 94 and told her that I would be afraid to stand on a horses saddle to pick apples. She said that she would have done it back in her day. It does sound like fun times though.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.