Blue Boy, Blue Glory, Clock Vine (Thunbergia battiscombei)

Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9b)

Blue Boy, Blue Glory, Clock Vine (Thunbergia battiscombei)

I started this plant from seed last year and it is growing very slowly. Any advice? it is only 7'' high and lanky. Does it need very hot weather? I live in zone 9 but the summers are relatively cool.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Ooo- - good luck, I killed one of those once. They're quite lovely.

Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9b)

i don't see them around here..... except once and i borrowed a couple seeds from it. lol

Good job!

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

I have one that I bought at a foot and a half tall - and it is only about a foot and three quarters now, lol. I wonder if they are just slow growing. I did buy it in Houston (zone 9) and moved it up here to Colorado where it won't be a perennial and it is of course in completely different growing conditions, but it's really slow for me. Have you pinched yours back?

Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9b)

No I haven't pinched it is so slow I don't want to risk it. But i am starting to think it needs more heat than it is getting right now.

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

I was kind of thinking that about mine too - we've been no higher than the 80s until this week and night temps in the 50s also until this week. I'll see how it goes now that we're seeing 90's for highs and 65 low.

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Well I think the lower temps are your problem. I grow several of the different Clock vines and they grow like weeds here. I can get cuttings to root and pot up in summer time in a week to 10 days.
I pinch pinch pinch too.

Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9b)

i have a greenhouse that geta hothothot, should i try putting it in there? my prayer plants do well in there?

I can't say about that as I don't have a greenhouse, a hoop house or any of that. All my plants grow out side, or at the most on a screened porch. I can say that I have a lot harder time getting things to root from ohh, middle of Nov. till about the first part of April unless I use a heat mat...same w/ alot of seeds. Over the summer I have things root/mature wayyyyyyyyyy faster than they do other months. Of course this makes sense if you go by the "plants" wants.

And of course .... 'nother big diff between CA and FL is the humidity

yes, that's true. there's alot that they can grow in CA that I can't. Like a bunch of Salvia's that I'd love to grow !!

Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9b)

I collected the seeds from some plants that were growing in half oak barrels in a community garden and looking pretty good so it must be possible here.

I like to try a lot of different things...sometimes it's a flop...and sometimes I get a surprise and my "experiment" thrives and blooms. Maybe not as well as it would in "optimum" conditions, but if you don't try, well, you'll never know will you...and when it works...it "bonus time "..and it just plain fun.........

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.