advice for a twining vine

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Hello, I am hoping someone can give me a few suggestions for a twining vine that is a perennial and hardy in zone 5, has flowers pretty much the whole season and can thrive on about 4 hours of early morning sun,afternoon shade and afternoon sun from about 5pm til sun down.

I know that is quite a tall order but it is for growing up the legs of a wooden glider swing that is huge and has lattice top. DH would like to see a colorful twiner on it and has actually told me to go buy something that would fit. (DH has NEVER told me, asked me, request of me, or any of the above to go and BUY a plant so this is the very first and I plan to take good advantage of it)

The only twiners I can think of are Morning glories and clematis and they both need sun.

I'm at a loss and would appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thanks, Cece

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Not a tall order - plant a Passiflora incarnata - IF you have room to spare, because, although it is beautiful and grows HUGE, it does send up runners ALL OVER the yard!

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Thats the passion vine correct? They do shade pretty well?

Runners huh? Can be controlled with a lawn mower?Can't be any worse than the trumpet vine Campsis radicans) that I find everywhere I don't want it to be.

This message was edited Jul 6, 2009 6:14 PM

Yes, that's the one. It would need to be mulched in the fall and it doesn't come up until early June, but oh, the display is amazing. The fragrance is like peanut butter and the critters LOVE it. Yes, the runners pull up easily and can be mowed, but be aware - you will ALWAYS have it, once you plant it.

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I WILL consider that plant. I need something there that will be a bit aggresive and if they have a fragrance to boot, well I'm all for it. I happen to like the smell of peanut butter. Seeing as the the care or destruction of any plant is left to my discretion maybe we can have a whole lawn of it :)?????

LOL!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Runners????? Ummm Yup!!! Good thing is their leaves are quite distinguishable - and if friends/neighbors don't want the extras they're easy to yank up if you get them before they get BIG. 'Incense' has a wonderful scent - not sure if she's hardy for you there or not - but so worth it with her baby powder/sweet scent. Mine are in part sun and do just fine.

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I am definitely looking into those. Wouldn't you know it I can't find anyone who has them on sale so far...........I know I have seen them somewhere, its remembering where.

If you want P. incarnata, dmail me your trade list - I can get you one of those.

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I have a trade list?????Where would I find that? I didn't know I had one. lol. I am soooooo incompetent on this thing. I've been on DG what 3 years now?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I think Kay meant to think of things you had available to trade and dmail her with it. But yes DG has trade lists that once you set up are attached to your "my info" page. Find plants you want or have available for trade in DG's Plantfiles - i.e. for Passiflora 'Maypop' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1189/ - scroll down 3/4's the way and you'll see "Trading Tools" you would then click on "Click here to add this plant to your want-list" - the next screen that comes up allows you to specify if you'd take one or all of the following: seeds, cuttings, plants etc You can also add additional notes for others or for yourself. Example: I love fragrant plants but don't always remember what I'd read about some less common ones - so I'll put a note in there to remind me what the description of the scent was etc. You do the same with plants you have available for trade - except that you'd click on "Click here to add this plant to your have-list" Whaa laaa.....easy as that!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.