bone meal ok for veggies? (don't want mad cow potatoes)

Bend, OR(Zone 4b)

Hi everyone. My DH wants to know if there's a possibility of getting mad cow disease by using organic fertilizer that contains bone meal on our veggie plants. I'm thinking that the bone meal breaks down and the plants absorb the phosphorous in it, but i'm no chemist.

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

That's a good question, Rose. I've wondered the same thing. I hope someone with some knowledge in this area answers you! Who wants beets and carrots that weave and wobble, and who wants to eat them???

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I think it's highly unlikely--the disease causing organism for mad cow disease lives in the brain and nervous system so I doubt it would be in your bone meal in the first place, and even if on some long shot it was there, I don't think it could get absorbed through plant roots and into your plant. Not to mention they keep their eye out for cows with the disease and would destroy them, so it's very unlikely that a cow with the disease would have been used to make bone meal in the first place.

However, we don't know the source of the bone meal we're buying, as with most substances these days. It could come from areas that don't have safeguards. I'd still like to know more about this. MCD is caused by a prion, like syphilis, and it can be very sneaky.

Merkel, TX

I was told if heated to a certain temp and held there for a set amount of time then beef products would be safe to use. The feedstore where i got my dog food from initially did not use any beef because they also milled cattle food and the risk for cross contamination was too great. Now they sell dog food with beef that has been cooked properly, shame to, cause I liked the all chicken, egg and fish they used for protein sources dog food better than the new formulas. Dont know how it would effect the bone meal. Dont know how freezing for a certain amount of time would effect it either. Good luck, Kathy

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Actually one of the reasons why mad cow disease is such a concern is that prions are very hard to kill--cooking won't kill them. Even some of the normal sterilization procedures that are used to kill bacteria and viruses won't always work on them and those are more extreme conditions than cooking.

Merkel, TX

Dont know what the feedstore was talking about, then. Maybe the guy who told me this was misinformed as to why they could not have the beef. Glad someone knew more than I. Kathy

I was under the impression that prions were resistant to heat. Here's one article about it which indicates that incineration isn't the answer:

http://lists.essential.org/dioxin-l/msg00050.html

Quoting:
Incineration has continually been put forward by government officials and
engineers as “a tried and proven technology” to deal with the mountains of
animal waste. SEAC recommended that bovine waste could be incinerated in
power stations, cement kilns and incinerators. Disturbingly, they refused to
place copies of the minutes of an important meeting in the public domain on
the grounds that this would not be in the public interest.
Later revelations demonstrated that within a few months of issuing this
advice the Government had possession of data that showed this recommendation
was seriously flawed.
The Environment Agency (EA) and Government departments, including the DTI
and MAFF deliberately, (and probably unlawfully), withheld critical
information from local authorities on the dangers of incinerating BSE
infected waste. This claim, made in 1997 by the Public Interest Consultants
(PIC), was a reaction to a story in the Observer “Strands of BSE survive
1500 C test”[6]
PIC claimed that local authorities have been forced to make critical
decisions over proposals for new animal waste incineration plants without
access to vital information the EA and Government departments had in their
possession for months.
Roger Lilley of PICs told CATs at the time: “We have been asking for this
information over the last six months only to receive persistent brush-offs
from the Agency [7][8].
PICs advised a number of local communities threatened with incinerator
applications about the risk of burning of bovine waste that could possibly
be infected with BSE in the face of the misinformation fed to their local
authorities by Government departments on this issue.[9]
Confidence in the pollution control authorities reached such a low ebb that
local authorities such as Northamptonshire County Council have continued to
refuse planning permission for incinerators on the basis of strong
suspicions about the environmental effects.[10] These suspicions have now
been vindicated. Roger Lilley said:
“...the credibility of the Environment Agency as a public watchdog is yet
again on the line. There is an urgent need for an investigation to uncover
who was responsible for the suppression of this vital data. Furthermore,
this saga has demonstrated that planning authorities and the public are
unable to rely upon the E A to protect their interests. The current gulf
between planning and pollution control must be narrowed and brought back
under democratic control.”
Richard Lacey, professor of medical microbiology at Leeds University
believes the decision not to publish the data was political:
“The infective agent had already been shown to be incredibly resistant at
high temperatures.” he said. “Anyone who says this process will definitely
destroy the infectivity is really very silly. We don’t know. The members of
the advisory committee are there to give the Government reassuring advice.
They are either ignorant of the facts or just puppets.”

And here's another source that talks about prion resistance to heat:

http://www.bio-medicine.org/medicine-dictionary/Prion/

and yet another:

http://www.injuryboard.com/national-news/mad-cow-disease-kills-two-in-spain2.aspx?googleid=235176

I wouldn't take what you were told as gospel, for sure.

Windsor, CT(Zone 6a)

I have some old bone meal a friend pulled out of the back of her garage. I still can't bring myself to use it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bone_meal

That said, this was interesting too:

http://www.ibiblio.org/rge/archive/970821_17371.html

It's not that it gets into the plants, but that bone meal dust can be easily inhaled while applying. Wear a mask, wash everything afterwards...or fugettaboutit!

Bend, OR(Zone 4b)

Thanks for the articles, nedweenie. I'm definitely leaning towards the fugettaboutit approach.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Quoting:
I'm definitely leaning towards the fugettaboutit approach.

Me too - I've got too much of the stuff in my garden already, and can't take it back out!

Nurmo, Finland(Zone 4b)

I've been tired of the self righteous "organic" lobby for a long time. You can't get BSE or any other infectious disease from well tested and approved chemical fertilisers!

If you're including bone meal in that category, that may not be the case. And don't forget, speaking of "tested and approved," about all the products that are recalled because it turns out that there are issues with them. Sometimes it's just better to be safe where there's any question at all. But everyone has to decide his or her own comfort level, of course.

Windsor, CT(Zone 6a)

Quoting:
"I've been tired of the self righteous "organic" lobby for a long time. You can't get BSE or any other infectious disease from well tested and approved chemical fertilisers!"

Then what are you doing on the Organic forum?

Please take your ignorance and trollish behavior elsewhere. You've added nothing of value to the discussion, and we're not interested in your insults.

Nurmo, Finland(Zone 4b)

I read the topic because I'm a passionate tomato grower. I didn't even notice it was an "organic" thread! My comment was tongue in cheek. If it offended you I apologise unreservedly. However over in Europe the organic lobby have become so powerful that those of us who are prepared to use the very limited range of chemicals that the powers that be in Brussels permit are almost treated like pariahs; and you can't totally blame us for hitting back occasionally.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Over here we don't have much in the way of an organic lobby--it's completely the reverse as a matter of fact, the big agricultural chemical companies are the ones who have most of the power which is why people reacted so strongly to your comments. Organic is not the mainstream here (although it's becoming more popular), so it can still be hard to find good information--that's why this forum was set up specifically for people who have chosen to garden organically.

Windsor, CT(Zone 6a)

Quoting:
I read the topic because I'm a passionate tomato grower. I didn't even notice it was an "organic" thread! My comment was tongue in cheek. If it offended you I apologise unreservedly. However over in Europe the organic lobby have become so powerful that those of us who are prepared to use the very limited range of chemicals that the powers that be in Brussels permit are almost treated like pariahs; and you can't totally blame us for hitting back occasionally.

Apology accepted. And understood, to a degree.

Nobody likes being told what to do, no matter where you are in the world. But you may want to stick around & learn more about organic practises. Fossil fuel inputs are unsustainable, add no nutrient value to the food, and fry the microbes in the soil (which do). There is so much more to soil science than NPK.

BSE was introduced into cattle via unnatural feeding practises. Sometimes Mother Nature does things a particular way for a reason. And we would be better served to understand & follow her lead rather than follow the cheap & easy route created by mankind. Cheap & easy has hidden costs, and hidden difficulties, just waiting to reveal themselves later.

Milford, CT(Zone 6a)

patgoerge
I Think I understand what you are saying, I too have and probably still will - on unusual occasions use synthetics. Howeve I live next to a wetland and it really should be illegal to use some of the stuff thet's out there - I don't know how bad you've got it but I learned a lot from watching this forum and found Organics to be a proud and educated bunch we can all learn from I owe them much gratitude and respect. Stick around. you'd be amazed what you can learn. I havn't spent a dime on fertilizer, feed or disease and bug control for two years other than bugs and compost pitchforks - ( i did however pick up a back up bottle of ortho max for late blight this year just in case)
But probably won't need to use it.

-joe-

Blockton, IA

Hi there. I'm an organic grower as well and regularly use bone and blood meal in my vegetable and flower gardens. You might look on OMRI.org for a tested source of these products. (I cannot tell you exactly what they test for without further research.) We use Phyta-Grow with good results. The most reasonable source I've found is from:

Bone Meal - $34 / 50 lbs - http://www.environmentalgreenproducts.com/store/bone-meal-4-14-0-pelleted-pr-16519.html

Blood Meal - $40 / 50 lbs - http://www.environmentalgreenproducts.com/store/big-red-blood-meal-13-0-0-pelleted-c-314-p-1-pr-16518.html

I believe it is also available in smaller quantities on Amazon.

Denton, TX(Zone 8a)

Most bone meal packages state the source, and many now say "bovine-free," and is made of pork-based bone meal. Read the package. Whether you trust the package or not is up to your own paranoia ;-)

Bend, OR(Zone 4b)

interesting discussion - thanks for all of your input. i was able to fine a locally-produced fertilizer that contains fish bone meal. i still don't want it to end up in my lungs though, so i'll be spreading it when the winds are calm. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.