Nightplanter Wixom, MI Welcome to DG.

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

Hello Nightplanter....Welcome to Daves....This is the Michigan forum...Hope you visit here often...Get to me all of us...If you have trouble..getting around here...please post...and someone will be along to help you out....Please tell us about your garden and what you like to do....Again...welcome...enjoy your stay.

smiles..Diana...

Thumbnail by WantabeGardener
AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Welcome nightplanter to the Michigan forum. We're so glad you're here. Tell us about your garden.

Brenda

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Welcome nightplanter...glad you joined us ^_^

Delane

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

welcome hope your having a good time here !!!
Gloria

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Hello Niteplanter...
Ok you have to explain this name!!
Welcome and PLEASE tell us all about your gardening...!!!
Julie

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

welcome to the site!

Wixom, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi everyone. I don't have much of a "garden", just spots around the yard where I plant things..or let wild things grow. There's a 300 acre nature preserve here in Wixom, kind of a marshy area with some wooded spots. When I bought my new house 14 yrs ago I picked out a lot that bordered on this nature preserve. The lot came with 4 large (70 ft) trees and I have added lots of other trees and bushes, kind of making it look like my yard blends into the woods behind me. Only have one area with full sun. The only thing permanently growing there is a dark purple butterfly bush. Trying to get some orange milkweeds to grow there also, they are native to this area. I am mostly interested in very large or unusual looking plants. Or maybe something with a real intensely colored flower. Sometimes I find a strange looking weed and try to get it to grow in my yard someplace, and sometimes things plant themselves and I leave them grow. I have tons of huge ferns around the bases of a couple trees - and I didn't plant them. There was nothing around the trees when I first moved in. The only thing I have planted there was some hostas. And last fall I planted 2 bugbane (Cimicifuga) plants. But the trees are now surrounded with lots of wild stuff, such as May apples, ferns, and a mid-sized jack in the pulpit. I pull out the weeds I don't like (such as all the poison ivy) and let the other stuff grow to see what it looks like. Also have at least one small 10x10 patch in the back of the yard that I let grow kind of wild just to see what grows there. Have grown an elephant ears plant in a barrel for the last several years. Sometime I get a sunflower plant to grow in there with it - looks perfect when the sunflower gets tall and blooms behind the huge elephant ears leaves. But sunflowers are almost impossible to get started here because of the bugs and critters. Someone asked about the forum name Nightplanter. That's simple - I work night shift. So on the weekends I am also up at night. Now I haven't been out there digging and planting with a flashlight (yet) - the neighbors might call the cops or something. But everything I have started in pots in the house was planted at night. When they are ready they get moved outside in the early morning before I go to bed or sometimes in the evenings on the weekends.

-Gary

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

OH Gary!!
I thought you went out at night to plant!!
But you plant at night IN the house..OK!
One of our kind of people..
Planting when ever and where ever you can!!
LOL!!
Well sounds like you have a lovely landscape.
This garden forum will have you filling it up with the plants of your dreams..
Julie from Fenton!

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi Gary you old night owl you!
Glad to meet you and I am happy you are here on the michigan group.
we are a funny productive and interesting group of gardeners.
Sheri

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.