would love the name of this one...

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Hi Dahlia people,
I bought this one on the local flowermarket but it came without a name :(
I've been wading through all the Dahlia pictures in PF but didn't find any look-a-like..
Maybe one of you experts might know...
The flowers are about 10-12cm and a blend of pink-purple-lilac, the petals tend to wave on the older flowers, the foliage is very dark purple almost black and so are the stems..
Isn't she pretty ? :)

Thumbnail by bonitin
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

a view of the whole plant..

Thumbnail by bonitin
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

a young flower..

Thumbnail by bonitin
Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 10a)

Maybe Dark Angel? I can't find a picture, unfortunately. But, I seem to remember it having dark foliage and a single row of purple-ish petals. Maybe Bishop's Children? I could be wrong, though.
It is hard to find look-a-likes. I had the same problem a few weeks ago. No two plants seem to look exactly the same. Beautiful, though!

This message was edited Jul 6, 2009 4:13 PM

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Thanks queequeg for your reply! :-)
I've been googling the Dark Angel Dahlia and found some images, it seems to be a whole series of mignon Dahlias with dark foliage and several colours suitable for small pots. My plant is rather tall about 90cm, it was in a big pot and the flowers are big so its probably not one of this series..The images I've seen also don't show these 'wavy' petals and have more rounded petals.

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 10a)

You're welcome. I'm sure someone here will have your answer soon.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

It IS very prettiful.

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Thanks Dahlianut! :)
Any idea what genes it could have inherited from? The foliage is rather finely devided I thought rather uncommon with cultivars, but I'm a newby with Dahlias so might be completly wrong. I know some wild species like D.merckii and D.imperialis have similar foliage. The flowershape reminds me a bit of D.imperialis..

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Maybe someone crossed dahlia tenuicaulis with dark angel 'Braveheart'. I would luv to have dahlia tenuicaulis http://www.strangewonderfulthings.com/176.htm

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Very desirable indeed Dahlianut, but alas not available..

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

Not a dahlia, but if I ever learn patience I was eying the Puya he offered on Ebay:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/gordomoose/Puya4.jpg

Turquoise!! Is that the rarest flower color? You might have to wait like 7 years to see that though.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.