I have a mold question

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Pulling up a bunch of bolted vegies from my raised bed garden today, I noticed a white mold (looked closely, not root mealies) around the root area of all the plants. A friend told me it was called 'Snow Mold' around here.

Anyone have any idea:

1. Why it happens? Are there certain conditions over others that encourage it?
2. How to get rid of it? Is it a balancing of nutrients? Adding something (lime?)?

Would appreciate any help.... I want to replenish the soil, add some chicken poop, dolomite, phosphate...but I also want to get rid of that mold!!

Carol

PS The photo is of a Vireya 'Java Plum'...very fragrant and blooms all of the time!

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI

Hi Carol, that rot seems to encompass a plant and suffocate the roots. It has been a constant enemy of Tomatoes here! I was told that it is from having too much organic matter in the soil that is not decomposed.

The only way that I know of dealing with it is to add lime (calcium carbonate and / or dolomite) and try to cook down the organic matter. Earth worms may help too; if your raised bed is lacking worms, add some.

I will try to find out more about this. It is a garden problem for many folks here. Definitely worth figuring out how best to deal with the thing!

Aloha, Dave

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Good air circulation is helpful in controlling all forms of mold.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Thanks for that.

The raised bed has tons of worms.

I have 'the duty' today (master gardener on the phones) at the Ag. Extension Service...will ask around there, too.

Perhaps the soil is too heavy, needing better drainage, as it IS in just a shade house so it gets rained on. The soil IS never dry. Everything (except spinach) grows like topsy!!!

I'll get back on this if I learn anything....

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Many of the large scale growers (and retail nurseries) buy fans that are built for outdoors use. They are built to be rained on, dew, etc. It sounds expensive, but, they swear by them.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Yep...that could be the problem! Perhaps too many large leaves shading the soil!!!!

Thanks!!!

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya
Kea'au, HI

The white mold flourishes in upper Puna in heavy organic soils. (Puna muck). I only try to combat it in my kitchen garden, as it is here to stay. I mix fine black cinder from Kapoho to give the soil more drainage, and sprinkle with lime. It seems to help. It grows like crazy in both mulch from the Hilo dump, and in horse manure.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I talked to some folks at Komohana today...and when I explained that everything was growing beautifully, and that the soil is full of worms everyone agreed that the mold is a goodguy - one of the IMO and that I am lucky! I tend to agree. It does not smell bad, nothing is slimey.... I do water seedlings in with a chickenmanure tea with molassas added.

Panic is over...

Keaau, HI

Hey Carol, if the mold is not killing your plants, you don't have the vector that I though you were talking about.

It attacks many herbaceous garden plants, rotting them off right at ground level.

It is inherent in organic soils, as Keaau749 described.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

We get that here most with Dark wood mulch, which I've discontinued using. I use mainly pine now if I use a bark mulch

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.