vacuum heaven (heaven!!)

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

I posted this in general discussion but I saw that this forum may be more suitable:

I am probably behind the times. I remember a few years ago telling friends that they should use an electric toothbrush because it works real well...and it seems that everyone had been using for years. I also told folks about this show where folks are on an island and are each a 'tribe' and compete for a money prize and when I said the names of the contestants..it seems it was the first season of 'Survival' and it was season 4 already.... so.....

But anyway, this weekend we bought a Shop Vac to do some cleanup. It was on sale for 29 dollars at Lowes. It is a 5.5 HP 12 gallon. Big thing on wheels - very light but a bit clunky. We took it inside to set it up.... and I tried it out inside... WOW - I am hooked. Some background: I have owened a zillion vacuums. Always looking for the 'right' one (ie one that WORKS) either too heavy, not enough vacuum...too much trouble to clean the rolles, frequent emptying, fancy filters, too many parts..etc. etc. Well, this Shop Vac is fantastic!! No kidding. The dirt / dust rushed from across the room just to get inside it!! No Kidding! It is a bit clunky but it moves easily and is as light as a feather. The electric cord was not worse or better than any other (length). The hose is nice and fat and doesn't twist or get stuck. And you know how when you are doing around legs of the bed or tables..you have to go around them to get to the dust.. ..not with this big boy...you just put it in the vicinity and all the dust just flies towards it. You don't have to stop and empty frequently (like I do with my broom vac - Shark brand -that I really do like alot - it is so light) - you probably won't need to empty this thing for a lifetime. No bags, no nothing. I just held it up to the wood beams (post and beam in the kitchen) and it just cleaned everything. The baseboards came out beautifully and it didn't scratch the walls as I ran it along the edge. I did have trouble with the curtains because like I said ..you just need to get near something... not up on it like with other vacuums. I just can't say enough about this 29 dollar dream (it was 49 and then went on sale) I heartily suggest you give it a try. We bought it to empty a pool for grandson (the cover fell in and the pool grew algae over the winter and was really nasty... this took care of that too.) I cannot believe that my vacuum searching days are over! I will have a storage issue -it's fat and low but I will find a spot for it. I just can't believe how easy it is on the old bones and how effective it is. It is loud however - but not louder than alot of vacuums we've had. I have not tried it on carpet. We have all hardwood flooring. But for cleaning the woodwork...the corners, the cobwebs, the fans, under things - just stick it under the dressers...and it pulls the dust from everywhere. I put it under the bed and it cleaned a three foot circle withouth all that hunting the dust that goes on. Wow! (I know ...you all have used a shop vac for years right??)

This thread has 5 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!