Clematis Seed Heads

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm just wanting to find out what everyone does with their seed head from their clems?

Has anyone be successful at growing out a clem from their seeds? If so was it like the parent of different?

I know cuttings are the best way to get a duplicate clematis, but I love to tinker with seeds.

What are your thoughts on this?

Janet

Thumbnail by meadowyck
Delaware, OH

if it is a pollinated or fertile seed you can have up to 2 years or longer to germinate (and a low % chance of germination) and up to two years (or longer) to see the flower, which will most likely be small, ordinary, and not like the parent.
it takes a lot of time, some winter management in terms of a warm place if there are little seedlings, patience, organization to get into this.

some clems are discovered this way, it's a long process and the % of germination is low.

don't think it is something i can devote time and space to, but it is intriguing to learn about the process and see how folks do it.

i have some seeds in germination that someone into clems in holland sent me, i think about 5 have germinated....i think it is a white flowered species that is unusual. we shall see the outcome if indeed they have sprouted.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

how interesting.

So how would I know if it is pollinated or not? Does the seed head change somehow?

Anyone know of a web site that would explain this in more details? I've looked and must not be using the right phrase.

Janet

Appleton, WI

Here is the definitive site for growing clematis from seed. Everything you need to know should be here... http://www.bcollingwood.com/

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Great site Julia, thanks for sharing it.

Janet

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.