looking for koi

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

i was wondering if anyone close to me might have butterfly koi (babies or adults) they would like to trade for plants or just might want to get rid of some because you have to much? i have a pond that i would love to get some to go in,i could trade plants or whatever i have plmk and thxs
im really wanting a true blue koi too plmk and thxs for looking

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

How large is your pond? I do not have any koi now but I used to have many and they can be real pains in small ponds; they pull up the plants and cause all sorts of mischief. IMO, a blue shubunkin is just as pretty and a lot easier to take care of.

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

well i really dont know how big it is lol i have one that is 3'X8'X18" deep and another one is odd shape but might be about the same and then i have a huge one like well not sure but i got a liner that is 15'X25'X 3-4' deep so i have plenty of room for them thxs for asking

Cary, NC(Zone 7b)

I would only put them in your largest pond as Koi can reach up to 3 feet and need at least 20 gals of water per inch of fish (and that has to consider adult length for each fish you add). Do you already have other fish in the ponds? That would be another consideration also, since that leaves less water for the Koi. Take your pond dimensions to a garden center that sells Koi or ponds and they can figure the gallons of water for you and let you know how many Koi your pond can hold.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.