Lady Bird Johnson only 15 inches

Wauseon, OH(Zone 5a)

It same as if my Lady Bird Johnson is not growing, it is only about 15 inches tall is there something wrong with it?
Is there something that I should be doing that I don't know about?

I was hoping that it would get flowers on it this year but it sure don't look like it is.

Delaware, OH

lady b j is a texensis group clem, which will establish slower than some others. take care to plant in an area not prone to powdery mildew and to water from the ground not sprinkle.

question, how large a plant was it, where did you get it?

pinch it back to half it's height and fertilize and make sure you are deep watering and letting it dry out and repeating vs frequent piddly little waterings.

assuming it is in virtually fun sun as well?

weather has been witchy, but these clems take a while esp if small size when you bought it. if it is sited well and cared for properly it is not the weather , it is just reality.

Wauseon, OH(Zone 5a)

ClematisGuru You ask where did I get Lady Bird Johnson I got it from Chalk Hill Clematis I would have to say it was not big I would say on the small size. You say pinch it back to half it size are you telling me to do it now? I won't hurt it any will I?

I am a form believer in watering deep. I hate it when I see people watering their plant just a little bet and they think they are gardener, they don't stop and think what would they do if they were out in the sun all day and then someone gave them a little water.

It get sun up until 2 in the afternoon. an lets of air movement.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Golden:

Do you have a picture you can post of it. This is a great learning tool for those of us who are new to clems to have a picture to go along with the problem, or have you already cut it back?

Janet

(Zone 4a)

I am sure it won't hurt to prune it back a bit and fertilize and give it a good watering.....

Delaware, OH

golden eagle, it will not hurt the little plant to pinch it back...half it's height, a third if you are more chicken. feed it when you do this. i have a small princess diana, which is also a texensis, that i put in last fall when chalk hill had the close out sale. you may be glad to know mine is only a little bigger than that, but i have pinched it back twice and feed in the last 2 months.

a month ago i was so worried about it i ordered a princess diana from ssv and put it next to it as i really want a big princess diana display. the ssv diana is twice the size now as the chalk hill, but they will both be good plants. it was just a bigger root mass whn i planted it a month ago.
they take a while to establish, so all you can do is concentrate on creating the healthiest little plant possible which will eventually be a huge healthy plant if you are covering all the bases.

my gravetye beauty, also texensis, took forever and is now so pretty am posting a pic of that one later when i pull myself away from the roddick federer match!

Wauseon, OH(Zone 5a)

What does SSV stand for?

Delaware, OH

sorry, silver star vinery in yacolt washington. an online source of large, heathy roots that establish faster than small mail order plants.

i found out about them last year on dg forum and now order any clem they have as my first choice where to buy. the difference in planting their clems (and i had 7 plus years experience) is amazing. second choice and a good one and a very good selection is brushwood garden vines, a nicely rooted quart type pot (not a liner size) and third choice, also good sizing on roots and an amazing selection is joy creek.

for liner size tiny plants donahues would be my choice as they run a good business, great customer service, ship when they say they will etc. pretty good selection. plants delight in this same category. and they have some plants you can 't get anywhere else.

other good choice can be song sparrow if they have something you want.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.