pf fruit question

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I have fruit on incarta and capsularis. How do I know they are ready, and how big does the fruit on capsularis get?
thanks

Macclesfield, CHESHIRE(Zone 8a)

Bonnie,

P. capsularis seed on a mature plant is 1 - 2 inches long. (There's a pic on PHOTOS). It is ready when it starts to split from the bottom and curl back on itself. I've only seen them full of seed - I dont think there is any flesh in them you can eat (or make preserves with). Dont know about P. incarnata. Mine flowered but didn't set fruit and has since been attacked by slugs. I'm not concerned with seed pods - just saving the plant !

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

thanks! I would love to share seeds of this capsularis, it's so pretty. You sent me two plants way back, and I gave one of them to my secret trade. I'm trying to air layer, but i have 2 seed pods, that must be almost ready:) Some other bug got my incarta seed pods, so I won't get to try the fruit, but might get a seed or two. Those I can get new starts of though.

Macclesfield, CHESHIRE(Zone 8a)

Good luck. I'll even forgive you muscling in on my STAR seed trade !

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

oh, well, I will only have a tiny few. and I'll let you run out first, so let me know. :) been there, done that! LOL!!!

Palmyra, VA(Zone 7a)

P. incarnata fruit will ripe in about 3 months after it started to form. Wait till the fruit falls to the ground or when it comes off without putting up a fight. Keep till it gets wrinkles before you open it.
Best to sow the seeds with the pulp.

Speaking of P. capsularis, I do not have it in my collection! :) Anyone want to share a few seeds or cuttings?

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

since we're going to have trouble trading with eltel in January, I'll let you two work this one out:) I won't horn in on his trades when he so generously traded me my lovely plant!!

henderson, TX(Zone 8a)

I have several passion flower vines: Insense, Cerulea and another that is similar to insense , bears fruit and is not as fragrant. Our cerulea is quite invasive, coming up all ove the place! I recently purchased a red passion fruit from the grocery store, toook the seeds out and dried them and have them growing in a pot. Anybody know what this vine is called?
woody@texramp.net

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.