marble tile countertop (Attn. 2vernes)

Lewiston, MN

2vernes (and, of course, anybody else who may be interested!) -- I didn't want to hijack Staceysmom's thread with her amazing countertop paint job, but I did want to address your question about marble tiled countertop.

It's a do-able DIY job if you have a little patience and the right tools.You're right-- you can get a nice stone look for a fraction of the price of a slab.
I made a travertine tile countertop for a 6' bathroom vanity (what I used would be too fragile for a kitchen, but granite, as you mentioned, would be much better). It wasn't terribly difficult, but I've got a good wet saw (they can be rented, too) and have done quite a bit of work with stone. The most difficult part was cutting the pieces that went underneath an oval sink.
I've also done a granite tile hearth top/fireplace seat that's pretty much the same as countertop. I'm in the process of putting in a marble tile countertop for a rec room bar area, too.

I wouldn't put the tile just over plywood; there's too much flex, and if you get any little leak it will soften the plywood. I'm not sure how well the mortar would stick to laminate, either. I used Durock (cement board) over plywood. I'd also recommend leaving at least a 1/8" grout line to seal the edges. Butted edges might make your marble look more like a single piece, but you don't want moisture (or food bits--ew!) working its way in between the tiles.

Another "voice of experience" recommendation-- before you mortar down all the tiles around the sink, find out how much room your plumber (or you, if you do plumbing) will need for connecting the faucets. I left plenty of room for the water pipes, but it turned out the connectors were quite a bit larger than the pipes. I had to break out a tile after everything was already mortared down and grouted & cut a new one to fit.
Good luck with the project if you decide to go ahead with it!

This thread has 2 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!