mystery flower

Kaneohe, HI

Does anyone know what flower this is?

Thumbnail by kris3378
noonamah, Australia

Can you show the leaves? It looks a bit like one of the gingers.

I second that, unless it's a cycad and those are the seedcones.

Atenas, Costa Rica

It looks like Zingiber collinsii

Keaau, HI

It does look similar to Zingiber collinsii. Can you show the leaves; they would have a distinctive ribbing.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

It looks quite like my shampoo ginger, but I've never seen the cones on the ground below the stalks, on mine the cones grow on the end of the stalks, with a flower or two emerging from each cone. Are there leaves higher on the stalks? Mine are covered with leaves. Very curious.

Yokwe,
Shari

Keaau, HI

Zingiber zerumbet, Awapuhi (Shampoo) Ginger, has flowering bracts just like the above plant. If your ginger has the bracts at the end of the leaf-stalk, you don't have Awapuhi.
Costus species look like that. Can you show a photo?

Kaneohe, HI

You guys are awesome. Sorry I kinda forgot I posted on this for help.

I'm attaching two more pics...one is a close up of the flower and the other is a pic of the leaves.

Thanx much!

Thumbnail by kris3378
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Well here are a couple of mine. When it was given to me, I was told it was shampoo ginger, and since I'm not super crazy about the plant, I never did any checking. So, Dave, I now believe you are correct (as if there was ever any doubt!), and it is a costus, not shampoo.

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

and here is the whole plant:

Yokwe,
Shari

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Laie, HI

Hi Islandshari: In Hawaii we call what you have an Indian Head ginger....not being PC but it is a red head with a yellow feather :o) As to the first photo put in by Kris....I would be more inclined to say some kind of shampoo ginger.....as the flowers are lower.....but am wondering about tumeric (olena) ....would need to check the plant files on what their flowers look like. If it is tumeric the plant dies out part of the year. aloha

Keaau, HI

I identified Shari's plant an hour ago, but it didn't show up! It is Costus woodsonii. Hawaiians referred to the plant as 'Awapuhi 'Inikini Po'o.

Kris's plant is probably Zingiber collinsii, as Bignonia suggested. I wanted to see the leaves to be sure.

Kaneohe, HI

I don't know how come my pic of the leaves didn't post, but I'm trying again.

stellamarina: I know it's not olena...we have those too and it's really different.

I'm leaning towards the Zingiber collinsii (Silver streak) as suggested above, except that the pictures that showed up in my google search are a deeper red....

Here's the leaves

Thumbnail by kris3378
Keaau, HI

Thanks Kris, Zingiber collinsii looks right.

Kaneohe, HI

Much Mahalo's for your help!

Saint Gabriel, LA

Hi

This is a Zingiber, but not Z collinsii. Not sure which species. There are more Zingiber grown in Hawaii then anywhere else thanks to the collections at waimea falls and Lyon arboretum.

Tim Chapman

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.