Echinacea "Ruby Star"

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Have any of you grown this variety? If so, what are your opinions about it?

Thanks.

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Have grown it. Nothing special stands out in my head about this one. It's very similar to so many of the other pinkl ones out there.
Jon

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

It has bigger cones than some of the others, but other than that, it looks like a normal coneflower to me. The color isn't Ruby or anything either so I have no idea why the plant is called Ruby Star. They just prevented someone from naming their Red coneflower Ruby! Bummer!

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

It is fragrant, however.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I love mine. No, it's not red, it's a dark, bright pink. Flowers are huge and they bloom their heads off. I think it's by far the nicest coneflower in my garden.

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Hart is right. It's a dark bright pink with reddish tone. Flowers are humongous when mature and they got their own shape. It is also very fragrant. Nice for containers in patios or decks.

Here's mine. Camera doesn't do justice on the color.

Thumbnail by Tex68
Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Here's a big one. Already more than 5" across.

Thumbnail by Tex68
Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Just a comparison.
The top two photos are of Ruby Star.
Bottom left is Magnus, right is Purpura.

Thumbnail by Tex68
Shenandoah Valley, VA

I took a photo of mine today, if it helps.

Thumbnail by hart
Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Nice photos everyone :) Thanks for your help - I like it a lot!

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

I have four Ruby Star plants in my yard, I planted them last year (they were $1.50 a plant as plugs). They are huge and I love them! Mine are darker than any in the pictures here, but a hard color to photograph.

I disagree that Ruby Star is inappropriately named, rubies actually come in a wide shade of colors, most being a dark bright pink (my husband has a natural ruby in his wedding band). Bright tomato red rubies are often irradiated to get that color. The blooms of the plant are almost identical to the ruby in hubby's ring, probably another reason I like the plants so much!

Elizabeth

I used to have a Ruby Giant but it croaked after a few years. Isn't it very similar to this one?

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

I don't have Ruby Giant and have not grown it, but looking at the responses and zones, I wonder if Ruby Star prefers cooler summers? Mine are planted in a spot that really only gets about 5 hours of full sun a day; that could explain why the northern gardeners seem more fond of it than the southern gardeners?

Elizabeth - Thanks for the info about the Ruby. I had no idea they are also pink. I've always seen the red ones.

(Carisa) Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

She's right, rubies do come in all shades of red and natural rubies are usually more pink and less red.

OMG, you guys have hit on my other love, gemstones! My two favorite things in one forum! For just a second there, all of the planets aligned and I was in heaven! We start talking about web design and labradoodles and I may just spin out of control, LOL.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.