Please explain difference between snails & slugs?

Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

I live in New England. We have had terrible rain conditions and my garden is suffering. I have been treating for slugs. This seems to no avail. I noticed what I thought was a slug & it had what seemed like little antennas, is this a snail? What should I use to try to kill them. I've been using Bayer grub control-will this also kill snails?
Thanks
Debbie

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Debbie, snails are basically slugs with shells, I think. There is I am sure some difference, but they both can be treated with any of a variety of poisons called slug and snail bait. This is available at wal-mart, home depot, Lowes or most garden centers.
The non-poison way to kill them is to use small containers about an inch or so deep filled with cheap beer. The hops in the beer attracts them, they fall in and drown....problem solved.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I agree, snails are basically just slugs with shells. I'm sure to an expert there are probably other differences, but for gardener's purposes the same things will control both of them. I don't think grub killer would have any effect on them, but since I have no idea what the active is in that product I couldn't say for sure. I would get a product made for slugs/snails...Sluggo is a good one. If you have pets, make sure you don't get one with metaldehyde as the active, it is very toxic to pets.

Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

Thank you for your help.
Debbie
PS. It is raining again today!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.