A few Convention garden pics

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

This year the hosta convention was in Lansing, MI and it was within driving distance for us. Seven hours in Canadian time ;-) and 2 hours once we crossed the border. (I'll have to tell you a story of crossing the border later.)

Did anybody else go? I went with hubby who is a non plant person. He golfed during the day and we met up for supper.

Anyway, it was my first hosta convention and I was so excited. The gardens on the tour were just amazing.

I thought some of you would like to see some pics of the gardens. I took a million photos and it has been hard to widdle them down, but I painfully managed to get them down to 32! Hope you won't be too bored. When viewing these pics you are seeing a mere two dimensional version of the garden. When I see them, I can conjure up the whole garden and the atmosphere. :-) Too bad I can't attach a music file to get you in the mood.... lol

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's a mossy bench in Clarence Owens garden. You should have seen the trees and 'dwarf' conifers he planted 40 years ago. Just awesome.

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Thought this was a cute trio.

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Everybody in the tour bus gasped when we pulled up alongside this garden (Greanya's). The vantage point from the bus was perfect. It should have been a little more overcast for better pics, but I'm not complaining as we had great weather.

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

A lovely grouping by the walkway to the house.

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Best single clump nominee 'Abba Dabba Do'. It's a biggie!

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

A storage door flanked by two raised alpine / mini hosta gardens.

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

The Wilkins garden was just beautiful and a real treat for all senses. They even had music playing in the background - you know, the kind they play when you get a massage ...

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

These square tubes were cobalt blue set in a sea of Hosta 'Hadspen Blue', which apparently was Sandy Wilken's father's favourite hosta.

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

A delightful water feature.

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

A Wilkens seedling I thought was stunning: 'Herb Benedict' x 'Chartreuse Wedge' streaked.

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

A sculpted birdbath and a white variegated Pagoda Dogwood.

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

An attractive edging of 'His Honor' (named for Sandy Wilken's father the judge) and 'Curtain Call'

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Mini gardens - a grouping of steel containers of varying heights.

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

I understand Jim Wilkins is an M.D..... and he even has his own 'Hostadocta' outhouse.

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

We were allowed to wander through the huge beds of hosta at the Marek garden. That's Mark Zilis in the yellow shirt. He had his camera and tape measure going the whole time! ... and yes, I was a bit star struck! Felt I should get his autograph, lol.

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

This turned out to be a poor picture due to the sun and shadows, but oh, what a nice mature clump of 'Jade Cascade'.

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Benedict Hosta Hillside. A public garden at Hidden Lake Gardens in Tipton, MI.

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Hosta 'Blue Lightning'

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Loved the Hodgson garden. There was so much to see.

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Looking back over the goldfish pond. There was also a much larger koi pond with a huge waterfall.

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Wonder who lives here?

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

A very cool woodland seating area.

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

This was a very restful place to sit. There's a bubbler in the middle of the centre rock. Can you imagine sitting here with nobody else around.... sigh.

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Best Multiple Clump nominee: (clockwise) 'Rising Sun', 'Sea Hero and 'Olive Bailey Langdon'

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

A mini garden walk in the Carson garden.

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

'Blue Mammoth' and a stunning 'Rainbow's End' in the pot. I'm moving mine to somewhere more worthy of it's gorgeousness!

Thumbnail by sanannie
Tremont, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks for sharing sanannie.. I've sure enjoyed looking at your photos of the convention garden tour. Can't hardly wait for more.

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Glad you are enjoying... there's just a few more. Gosh, it was fun.

Sandy

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

A lovely specimen of 'Tattoo' .

Thumbnail by sanannie
MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Nice! Thanks Sandy! Sure wish I could've been there too! I haven't been since I chaired the show in 06... wore me out I think, LOL. I am however, planning on going next year :)

Got any more pics? They are lovely and we get to live vicariously. ;)

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

Wow! Look at the size of 'Tattoo'! Lovely pictures Sandy. Must have been fun for you. Thanks for sharing.

Rose

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Hi Jody. Holy cow, you chaired a convention..... I'm bowing! What a huge responsibility. Next year may be a bit far away, but you never know. Perhaps one of these days we'll cross paths!

Yep, there's a handful more I have lined up.

Sandy

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

An interesting folly in the Hanner garden, surrounded by Sweet Woodruff.

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Hey Rose, isn't that Tattoo amazing? Me and all around me were quite awed by it's size.

Noreaster, it sure was a fun trip! Next one close to Canada I'm there!

Sandy

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

This gentleman is admiring a well grown 'Niagara Falls' .... as for me, I was just awed.

Thumbnail by sanannie
MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Wow! That tattoo is outstanding!

No! I didn't chair the convention; just the hosta show at the convention and helped out our chairs for the convention. The hosta leaf show was more than enough work for me to handle. ;)

Next year is in Minnesota.

2011 is in New England.

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

So, how do they come up with the cities to hold the conventions in, anyway? It seems like you have to have a lot of hosta gardens available to tour?

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

The local clubs host them.

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

Sounds like it's pretty much like dog clubs with their National Specialty Show. How many Hosta Clubs exist?

This message was edited Jul 1, 2009 5:50 PM

Waterloo, IA(Zone 4b)

Very nice Sandy thanks for the tour.....Hey guess what?

Next years National Convetion is in Minneapolis, Minnesota!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.