Alpines in July

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

A new month with new alpines. I'll start with a few plants from our new crevice garden at work. This first one was sown as Penstemon alpinus but is actually a hybrid of some sort...a little tall but still attractive.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

What was sown as Aster himalaicus...can't dispute whether it is correct or not as I can find little info on this species

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Our native alpine, Senecio pauciflorus

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Campanula cochlearifolia 'Alba' - this was not planted as this species...we may have to remove this rather rampant species!

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Heliosperma (Silene) alpestre (alpestris)

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

In my own garden....I went to get annuals last week and found this beauty at a local nursery...first time I've seen a red Lewisia!

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Ouch!

Acantholinum hokanekeri. Taken just before a storm, it's the best I could do.

Thumbnail by Leftwood

The papery calyxes are interesting too.

Thumbnail by Leftwood
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I've never had any luck with Acantholinum...too wet I expect.

Dianthus 'Royal Midget' and Penstemon rydbergii

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

The trough on my front deck

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Campanula barbata and Sempervivum 'Reginald Malby'...I think it's time to place gravel on my crevice garden to finished it off!

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Might as well, Todd - looks good!

Vella spinosa has come into its own this year, and is quite floriferous. It seems to defend itself quite well against grazing animals.... not only does it cover itself with a barrier of criss-crossing spikes to protect the leaves below, but each flower has a spike projecting up immediately above it.

Thumbnail by altagardener
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Penstemon lyallii.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

The acantholimon I've tried have died out over the winter - totally dried out by spring (which I don't understand)... must try again.

Penstemon speciosus var. kennedyi.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Seedpods on Physaria didymocarpa.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Saxifraga cotyledon, out among other perennials in the front yard. It burned a bit through the winter, but is now blooming nicely.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Spiraea decumbens, a very small spirea, though not too exciting otherwise!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Dracocephalum botryoides.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Incarvillea zhongdianensis.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Asperula gussonei

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Saponaria suendermannii.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

A young Catananche caespitosa.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Silene kantzeensis, not as floriferous this year as last.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

I can't remember if I showed this one earlier or not. Sorry if it's a repeat.
Sedum hispanicum var. minus 'Aureum'

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Hieracium villosum:

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Scutellaria orientalis ssp. alpina, or so I think.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Helianthemum oelandicum ssp. alpestre.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Gypsophila silenoides.

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

You have so much in bloom!

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

WOW! Your Incarvillea looks an awful lot like my forrestii....hmmmm. And I didn't know Catanache came in yellow! That silene is definately added to the want list.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Todd, the leaves (visible in the pic) are different on I. zhongdianensis compared to I. forrestii (from what I just read in Eflora of China.... I don't grow the latter myself).

Galanthophile, the cold parts of North America have a brief, very compressed... and colourful... season!

Alta, do you every run out of cool plants to show? (Certainly not complaining!)
Decumbens is very cute. Some of us here have Spiraea 'Golden Elf', about twice as large. IMO it's fairly gaudy, with its yellow/chartreuse leaves and normal rose pink flowers.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Here is my I. forrestii as a comparison...certainly shorter than yours but that may be an age thing. I keep trying to grow your species but I can't get the seeds to germinate.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Hmm, I'll have to find a description for I. zhongdianensis also and compare (and also try to key mine out!) When I glanced thru the one for forrestii earlier I thought it sounded rather different in leaf shape, but reading it again, I'm not sure.

Here's one for I. forrestii:
http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=2&taxon_id=200021413

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

well it seems mine is NOT forrestii...maybe I have zhongdianensis afterall!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Oh, okay, as I read it again (for I. forrestii), it says the leaves are simple and not divided, unlike on I. zhongdianensis... that's what I thought I read the first time. I'm not sure if it's my eyes, or my comprehension, that's failing, LOL!

Gee, Rick, here I was thinking I don't have near enough cool plants!

Dare I hope that this might actually be Penstemon whippleanus that's just started opening today... one that's eluded me in the seedex's for years? I haven't keyed it out completely yet, but I'm encouraged!

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Looks like the real thing to me! Save seeds! I had this one for years then it died and like you, I kept getting imposters.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

I haven't yet keyed out the presumed P. whippleanus (from which I will definitely save seeds, Todd!), but I did this one, though I suppose the exaggerated flowers made it relatively "obvious" (among penstemaniacs, anyway).... P. grandiflorus.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

And this photo shows the basics of penstemon IDs... the shape of the anther sacs. The photo shows that the anther sacs are glaucous, navicular (boat-shaped), open all across the connective (the point where the stamen attaches at the back), and out to the tips. Also, the staminode (the thingie in the center) is expanded at the tip (to 2mm), and hand-lens examination shows that it has a stubbly beard.... all of which leads one to the penstemon section, and then eventually to the actual species... P. grandiflorus! The Key to the Genus Penstemon by Robin and Kenneth Lodewick is utter genius! I'm astounded that an amateur (especially a not-very-focused one, LOL!) can do this!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Eriogonum schockleyi... just planted this spring.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.