One of my new favorite coleus

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Copper color, matches the copper twrilly thing...LOL

See later post, the colues has grown more beautiful.

This message was edited Aug 12, 2009 10:01 PM

Thumbnail by happgarden
Stockholm, Sweden

Such a wonderful display! A very interesting arrangement, indeed.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

very nice

Thank you. Funny how the colors are so close. Copper does seem to be one of my favorite colors any more. The nursery I purchased the plant from said they weren't going to carry this one again because it got too bit to fast, so the pressure is on to keep it going during the winter......hate pressure...LOL

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

What is the name of it?

Beautiful match of colors!

I will have to check, I am sure the tag is in the pot somewhere...LOL
It has really grown, I have noticed since it got so hot it is fading so I have moved it. It was getting about 7 hours of sun, and now it is now to 5, will see if that is better.

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

It looks like Sedonna is it??
Julie

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Gee all that grass, IE space. I am so envious.

Julie it isn't Sedona, I will have to look and see what the tag says. It is lighter in color. I have had to move it when we started hitting the upper 90's, it started to bleach out. Now it gets shade about 2pm and the color is wonderful. The grower I bought it from said he wasn't growing it again because it got too big too fast, so I am going to have to keep starts I guess.

Kell, we live out in the country. I grew up and always lived in the city, when we moved out there it was strange, now it is strange when I go in someones backyard in the city and I am nose to nose with the neighbors....LOL

Rustic Orange is the name.
Spoke with the nursery person that sold it to me, she says they still aren't going to carry it again.....LOL
It has grown more since the last post.

This message was edited Aug 12, 2009 10:02 PM

Thumbnail by happgarden
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

There will always be another coleus to take its place.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

rustic orange is one of my favorites

Thumbnail by onewish1
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

onewish!
Thats a beautiful collection.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

thank you ... it's last years photo... but still have all those coleus ... the kongs do not look as nice this year

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I keep bring up Glory .It would be a good replacement for Oranges if the local nursery doesnt restock next year.
I have also taken cuttings and the ones that didnt grow get to stay in the garden and I wont use them next year.
Here's Glory with a Watermelon sport
Glory is at the right and the sport is on the left

Thumbnail by ge1836
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Really like Glory! Goes great with that sport too.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

What is a sport anyway.
Do they revert in the third generation?

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I just love the speckled side.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

nice one Ge!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm glad I gave myself a month to establish big parent plants.
I have replaced some of the failures with other choices like Oxblood,passed it over the first time.
Lemon Sunsation
Envy
The first cutting of The Boss isnt perking up after a week like the others.I'll have to take another cutting and see whay happens,I really like that one especially the magenta vains.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I like that one too!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Rosy Dawns colors were much bluer so I chose some companions to go with their pic.
I will design containere for 2010 using my pictures.Boss should look nice with a rose magenta petunia or impation

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

might be better off... getting them with your light as well

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Guess I'm picky about color.
It seemed to be the sensable thing to do

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I would agree.. although I am not picky

With your next cutting remove the center newest leaves and all but the top four leaves and if any are huge cut them in half. Figure out that when it was part of the plant (still attached) it had a root system to support all the leaves and after taking the cutting it has nothing to help it get growing. Good luck.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I LOVE PIRL
When you explain it makes perfect sense.

You're so sweet.

So many people leave far too many leaves thinking that helps the cutting but it doesn't - it's precisely the opposite.

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

I appreciate the advice too since this will be my first big attempt to winter these over!

Ralph Snodsmith, on radio with his Garden Hotline show each Sunday morning, advises not growing them in a south facing window - too hot and too much of a possibility of aphids and other unwanted indoor pests. Did I listen? No. Did I regret it? YES.

If the only windows you have face south back the plants away from the window.

East is best.

Never grow them so close to the window that the leaves touch the glass.

Keep taking cuttings. It will be a frequent job from February through April.

Good luck!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I remember thet advise from last year and kept them in a west window.
I only had 3 parents then.
This year there will be 20 so I'll do the livingroom and keep them away from the glass.

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

When do you start taking cuttings? I think I read in August.....

Take cutting right now in your zone. I take cuttings in July and August.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I have heard some folks say they had good luck keeping cuttings over the winter under florescent lights....like folks do with African Violets.

This photo has nothing to do with the subject of this thread....I just like to post photos.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I take cuttings in August to give at least 4-5 weeks for a full plant to develop.
We get frosts and very cold nights in mid September.
As usual a gardener keeps eye in weather and I watch for nightb temp forcasts around 40 even though days are in the 60's

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

I thought about using lights too. Might give that a try. I'm glad you like to post photos Dale cuz I like seeing them!

I'll start taking some cuttings this weekend then. Thanks for the help.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

many DGers have light systems and take tons of cuttings all winter.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I do as long as I remember to water them come the holidays!!!.. last year I got started so late I just took cuttings and started them inside... think it was late Sept or Oct... and we were getting a frost any day.. panic time... going to try and start sooner this year

I've made that mistake, too, Allison. I remember taking cuttings out in the dark the night we were due for frost and they never did well.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I could name a favorite everyday.
This is Tiney Toes.
Along with red nastur with blue green leaves.

Thumbnail by ge1836

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.