Gloriosa lilly

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

I was given a "bucket' with some of the red/yellow Gloriosa lilly. About 4 of them had nice size tubers and I've planted two already, still thinking where I'd like to plant the other two. There were about 5 broken pieces of tuber in the bucket also. So far I've just stuck these aside in some pots. Should I just leave them in the pots till they sprout, or put them in the ground somewhere. Also, another plant broke away from the tuber...will it root?
as usual thanks for your help...
mj

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

If, where the break happened, it's kind of healed over and the other end has an eye (discerable in spring by a triangular growth point that turns reddish and orientates the plant's upward growth) it stands a pretty fair chance of producing flowerrs. At least, that's been my experience. I grow them in very large containers and repot every spring . When extracting them from their entanglements they sometimes break. When that happens I usually set pieces aside and check them later; if they look healthy later I then pot them up too. They then form the far end of the summer blooming season.

Thumbnail by jmorth

I've just left the pieces in pots and set aside in an area that gets lots of light but no sun. Hopefully I'll get a few more plants from them.
Thanks

Chipley, FL(Zone 8a)

I grow mine in the ground here without digging up. They multiply like crazy. Every now and then I have to dig up and move and they like to "walk". They normally bloom in Apr/May here.

jmorth - the picture of yours - is it solid red or does it develop some yellow cause I haven't seen the solid red before. I have the solid yellow and the red/yellow.

Dee

Really that is just gorgeous......

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Dee,
It's a rothchildiana (red & yel). I think this is the same bloom, days later.
J

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Here's a somewhat different one, Gloriosa Greenii

Thumbnail by jmorth
Chipley, FL(Zone 8a)

Wow, like that one. I have the Lutea, it is a brighter yellow than that one. That one seems to have a greenish tint, hence greenii maybe

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

aah..an all red one! Didn't know ! This one is new for this season, I think I got it at Kartuz

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

and a frilly all yellow one..love this one

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

ones in front are the usual, these are the only ones producing seeds so far.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I haven't seen the yellow one come back this year. I thought it was in the same container as the orangish one..but? dang..I'm bad at not marking things. Last year it mixed up with lemonade Hibiscus.

Randy,
What is that next to last pic you posted? Wine with yellow ? I've not seen that one.
mj

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm not sure of the name, it came from a friend in florida.
It seems that everyone varies slightly from another. That one is going to seed, want me to save?

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I have that second to the last one - it's actually chinese red and yellow.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks Kay, I didn't know that either!

Randy, Oh yes, if you would I'd love some seeds. I'v just not seen that wine w/ yellow..only the other colors ! Kay, is there a cultivar name for that one?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

okay. Seems like the pods take quite a while to mature. Any idea how long?

I don't have any idea. I've started the lutea from seeds, but they were seeds I bought. Started 5 seeds and they all sprouted and are growing great.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Cool. I planted this one in the front garden strip by the road...hot and dry..it loved it, and has seed pods all over, but slow maturing.

but I guess it will be a couple years before I get blooms from them.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I've got a question on these...
Mine only blooms once a year in May... and when it is done, NOTHING I do can extort more blooms!

Does anyone get repeat blooms on the Gloriosa lily?

Thumbnail by podster

Mine is redder than the picture shows. I have no idea if there is a 'name' for it.

Thumbnail by KayJones
Chipley, FL(Zone 8a)

Hey Randy,
the one in question I had bought as Gloriosa Lily Carsonii. Looks just like it is suppose to. They did great for you. My yellow ones are blooming now. Let me know if it doesn't come back at all and I can send you another after they finish blooming. I believe it is called "greenii". The Lutea is not as yellow as the greenii.

Dee

Chipley, FL(Zone 8a)

Jo, I believe yours is the 'rothschildiana'. At least it looks like mine which I got labeled that,.

Dee

Thanks, Dee. I don't worry about 'names' for my plants - they are what ever and my 'pets' -I just over-love all of them indiscriminately! LOL

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes, I really liked the yellow one, was so scalloped. Red, wow..I didn't even know there were any. I looked at the vine in the front, and it is busy growing seed pods. I don't see any new blooms on it. I better check out the PF and get an idea how big the pods get and what they look like when ready to harvest.

It's bright out, hard to see..but those dried brown looking things have green seed pods growing

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's one close up..

Chipley, FL(Zone 8a)

Hey Randy,

Is that Hibiscus Cannabinus that you have groing there. I just love this color:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/60020/

Randy, here ya go:

http://mrbrownthumb.blogspot.com/2007/09/when-i-collect-climbing-lily-seeds.html

My GL seed pods are small and green right now, but when they are fully developed and turning brown, they are about the size of your little finger (girth) and about an inch long.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the i.d. Wayne just shoves plants at me as I'm leaving his place, and have no tags etc...(no complaining though)

Thanks Kay!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I'll live through ya'lls gorgeous photos...finally landed a tuber this spring and sadly it must have rotted with all the rain we had (had it in a very large pot) - maybe next year.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes, I learned that way too.. It is still alive, but I planted it in the EE bed...lol...not good. It has never bloomed. I need to move it..I don't even know what that one looks like

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Chantell ~ don't give up on it. I had a few false starts the first year. It would send out shoots and die back. I got disgusted and put the pot out behind the plant shelter and the next spring it took off and has bloomed for years.

I was told the tubers will work their way to the bottom of the pot. This surprised me and proved the tubers are at the bottom of the pot. Meant to fish them out and replant this spring but never found that "roundtuit". On the todo agenda...

And that is why I asked earlier if anyone has repeat blooms throughout the summer? I fertilize but wonder if my soil needs improveing. I only get blooms for the month of May. Anyone enjoy continuous blooms?

Thumbnail by podster
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

No, they seem to bloom whenever they darn feel like, but I'd have to say most times it's the end of spring beginning of summer. I was surprised to have this orange guy blooming now. I think the poorer the soil is the happier they are.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Kristi - that's good to hear...I guess I should go "check" that big old pot, eh? LOL
RJ - POOR soil? You're kidding! Great - I put it in fresh GOOD soil in the pot...very sad....

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Gloiosa Greenii

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Gloriosas in large pots:

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Recent rothchildiana:

Thumbnail by jmorth

several of the pieces that were broken off when I went thru the "bucket of gloriosa's" are sprouting.
I just stuck them in a mix 1/3 compost, 1/3 spagnum peat, 1/3 vermiculite that I had sitting in a tub after repotting some other things.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.