Blooming and Growing In July

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I added growing to the title because it seemed some people are reluctant to post if it's not a flower.

My Crocosmia finally decided to bloom .. it's been in a pot for 3 years. I don't know which cultivar this is, but it sure is pretty .. I traded for it because it is kind of a reminder of the garden I had when I lived in England. There were masses of it in front of the loggia.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

After a relatively normal May and June, July is starting off hot and dry. The grass is beginning to turn brown... sure hope we get some rain soon. We had a little bit last night but not enough.

Here's Sinningia speciosa 'Carangola' ...

Thumbnail by TomH3787
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Double tiger lily (Lilium lancifolium florepleno) - starts blooming a bit later than the single form.

Thumbnail by TomH3787
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Eucomis autumnalis ...

Thumbnail by TomH3787
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

That Sinningia is gorgeous! Does it have a fragrance?

X

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

All gorgeous!
X, my Crocosmia is blooming really nicely for the first time ever. I've had them for 3 seasons and never had more than one bloom and it was pretty puny. Finally moved them to a soggy spot, and they took off. Yay.

How bout some under-appreciated Liriope. :)

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I think regular water and lots of food finally encouraged these guys to bloom.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Lisianthus ("Echo Yellow")

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Pretty! I grew some from seeds and they haven't bloomed yet .. I'm about to give up on them!

X

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

X, they are very slow to get going the first year..but they'll get there. First time I planted from seeds, I started them Feb.1 and they didn't bloom until late July. Since them, I keep them potted and greenhouse them in winter, water them sparingly til spring. These have been blooming for a few weeks now.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

X - I don't think that 'Carangola' has any significant fragrance. I've never noticed it before, but after you asked I stuck my nose directly in the flowers at night. I can detect a bit of a mild floral/spicy scent, but really nothing notable. The cool thing about this plant is that is will bloom almost continuously from late June to September.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

This is Silene regia (Royal catchfly). It is just starting to blooming and is a small plant now. Cultural requirements state having them in full sun in a loamy medium type soil. I'm not sure how well it stands heat, but has cold hardiness to Zone 4. It attracts hummingbirds and has beautiful deep red flowers. I planted it last year and it didn't "do anything" so I'm hoping it will really make a showing this year. Bought it through Prairie Nursery ... http://www.prairienursery.com

Karin ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thumbnail by greenthumb_NC
Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

Karin " I planted it last year and it didn't "do anything" " I have learned that with such plants the rule is generally: the first year they sleep; the second year they creep; and finally year three they leap! Sleep, creep, leap!! So your real show probably won't come til year three. It is pretty though. Patience is a virtue

to correct spelling of name

This message was edited Jul 5, 2009 12:04 PM

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Ixora, after over wintering indoors. Just now beginning to bloom. :)

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Silene did well for me in Columbia and no place is hotter than there. Your catchfly should be just fine in NC.

Love the Ixora Deb, I have 2 and they rarely if ever bloomed when they were in pots. I recently planted them both and immediately they set buds. I can't wait to see the flowers. They are several years old and I don't remember what colors they were when I bought them. LOL

Neat cone on a Taiwanese Cycad; I love the pattern in the scales.

Thumbnail by ardesia
Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

That cycad is awesome. I love the geometry of the plant.

When I was in Brazil a couple years ago, ixora was everywhere. Like we have azaleas, they had ixora.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Those patterns are simply amazing.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

It is and it has the same attributes as the Magic Eye thingy so if you look at it with lazy eye, it fringes on 3d!

X

I'll never think about it again without thinking 3D. LOL

This is Playgold, a cute little mini rose I got from the Noreast close out sale.

Thumbnail by ardesia

Sunflower gift from the birdseed.

Thumbnail by ardesia

The Black & Blue Salvia is just starting.

Thumbnail by ardesia

Dunnmoyer's Pink hardy hibiscus.

Thumbnail by ardesia
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Sweet little rose. My Black n Blue is just getting going, too. I'm hoping that means I'll be seeing more hummingbirds.

Deb, do you have any agastache? I keep this one on the deck just to watch the hummers play.

Thumbnail by ardesia
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

No, no agastache. I should, though, especially if the hummers love it. I have a couple of red salvia greggii that they seem to like and the also come to the red lonicera, but they really seem to go crazy for the Black n Blue.

Edited to say: PS/I love your marsh view!!

This message was edited Jul 6, 2009 3:12 PM

Thanks, we do too.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

This one smells like peaches. Cooks island I believe.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Red turks cap starting to flower. Malvaviscus arboreus

Should have some pink ones this year as well.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Just a cosmo but the color is really vivid and I like it.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

That plumeria is stunning! does it smell as good as it looks?

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

My Fujishibori JMG gave me twins today .. every time is see one my jaw drops .. these guys are incredible.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

And believe it or not .. I had only seen Bleeding Hearts in pictures and never saw one where the red "berry" had actually opened up into a flower .. I was wonderfully surprised this morning when I looked at it.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

My Journey's End Canna was the first canna to give me a flower this year. I really love speckled flowers.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

Cookstown Sunset, congratulations on the flowers Core. :-)

Cool Bleeding Heart X.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Core and X: Both of you have some gorgeous stuff blooming!
( I love speckeld flowers, too. ;> )

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Alice I have more than one branch going to bloom, nice. Smells exactly like peaches. Problem is it's getting to big so I will have to cut it back this fall/winter. Found out they have zero cold tolerance so there is no way to leave it in the ground without build a house around it. Fast grower that grows straight at where ever the sun is coming up.

There are people on the Plumeria forum that take them out of the pots, wash the soil off, and store them - dry - in closets or such for the winter. I have never tried that although I have cut large branches and stored them dry then stuck them in the soil in the spring after the soil warmed up and that worked. The plants I left in the ground last winter did not make it but one potted plant that was too large to bring in was stashed in a protected spot outdoors and surprisingly. it did fine.

I believe Trent knows a lot about plummies.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Little curcumas are blooming now.

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

That's so exciting to get a preview of what to expect! I traded for bunches of curcumas. I've never had them before, always hedychiums! I can't wait!. do they have a fragrance like the hydechiums?

X

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

X, I haven't noticed any scent from any of the ones that I have. They have been very reliable bloomers for me though, moreso than my heddy's. They've returned and multiplied nicely, too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.