Look at what we found on the side of the road

Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

We found this puppy on the side of the road curled up in a ball. I guessed by looking at his teeth he was about 3-4 months old. We could not just drive by and leave him. The condition he has in severe and very dangerous to humans and animals. I took him to our vet, he had never seen such a pitiful case. The puppy is almost 12 weeks old, with severe mite infestation, so far also loaded with worms. Obviously never been to the vet, so that means no shots, you cannot even tell what breed/breeds he is. The scales on his body are HORRIBLE !!!!! Well the vet said most would put this dog down, but worth a try saving, so, he is separated from all of us, he is on an antibiotic just in case of infection. We bathe him daily with Micodex shampoo, we have to try and rub as much of the dead caloused skin off as possible, and I have to give in an oral injection of worm medicine to help once a week for 3 more weeks. This is day 3 and so far it looks like his energy level has come back some, he is already potty trained, and he is not scratching himself to bleeding. Not sure if his fur will ever grow back. We named him Alf, he looks like the alien puppet. We found out from a neighborhood kid that the dog just showed up (I personally do not believe this) he did not take him to the vet, which upsets me. He also thought that the dog had mange, so he was bathing him in used motor oil which does help mange but it is not mange he has, I do hope that the oil kept the mosquitios off of him, otherwise he will have to go through treatment for those as well. This case is going to take alot of time, hopefully we can get him healthy again and find him a good home, we have enough critters to care for, but if not we will keep him. I will post more pictures as time goes on to let everyone know his progress, the vet recommended taking photos.

Thumbnail by 1913cat
This thread has 324 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!