July Orchids...the Heat is On!

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Ray, those Neos are fantastic!

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Very nice, Raymond.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I just bought Vanda Rhyn Retusa on Ebay. This thing where you can spend money just sitting in the house is killing me.

Jim

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Raymond, such a pretty little gem!

Jim, it is so easy, isn't it?

Very nice, Todd!

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Raymond. I definitely watered everything too much this winter! I will try to stress them more this year.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

We took a wonderful day trip today, checking out the riverside Savanna along the Mullica River in the NJ Pine Barrens. We were told to be prepared for wet walking! After seeing my first Rose Pogonia and the beautiful blooms of the pitcher plants far into the Bog, I didn't care any longer that the reddish brownish water exited my sneakers to all sides. The whole area was simply interesting and very beautiful with lots of wildflowers.
I just started to look at my pictures. Here are some of the Rose Pogonia pictures in their habitat.
Pogonia ophioglossoides

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Slightly different angle

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

One of the fellows in the group bent the flower gently upwards to get a better look. I took the opportunity and quickly shot a picture.

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

This particular flower was easily accessible, I only had water a bit over the top of the shoes to get a shot. Here is a habitat picture. This is at the banks of the Mullica River

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

And a wide look, the River scene is beautiful.

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

This is one of the numerous Rose Pogonias growing in the Bog.

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

And taking a loser look at home, do I see the white leg of a Misumena ( Flower Spider) hunting on this flower?

We also found a good looking Platanthera blephariglottis (next to a shallow lake covered with blooming white Water Lilies) in spike.
I will play with more pictures tomorrow.

Thumbnail by RUK
Indianapolis, IN

Very nice trip, Ursula! So good to see those pictures.
Any bugs that insisted on tagging along on the hike?
p.s. check your other pics for any sign of a reddish something in the background somewhere...:-)

Hmmm.
Well, how lovely to take a nature walk and see orchids! I have only seen them in a bog on Grand Manan, NB. Very cool to see them in NJ. I wonder if they grow in MA. I bet there were good bird there too. I have much boots that I use to go birding in bogs/marshes but lately I only use them in the garden.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Raymond, this reddish something :-) http://www.strangemag.com/jerseydevil1.html
We did hear some strange cries though, right next to our ears at times. It was a young (?) Bluejay which followed us for a long time, it was very happy to eat Blueberries out of your hand. Very cute!
And Kathy, there were lots of nice birds. And this Orchid should grow in MA too, the range is from Maine to Florida, west to Texas, in Missouri and from eastern Kentucky northward to Minnesota. (Wild Orchids of the middle Atlantic States.)
Boots would be nice the next time around. I did lose my balance at one time, I didn't want to step on a particular nice clump of something and slipped. I didn't sit down, but I came close to it.

Indianapolis, IN

Heh. That bluebird must be a tour groupie :-) - so used to people!
As for the NJD - I presume all members of the hiking party were accounted for at the end?

Were there other orchids besides the rose pogonia?

Indianapolis, IN

Neofinetia falcata var. Shutenno. (朱天王)

A registered variety. Also transliterated as Shutennou, Syutenno, &similar.
This is a widely available variety nowadays. Plain green leaves, purple flushed flowers w/ purple stalks; variable coloring depending upon source/plant population but also affected by temperature/light/(culture). [Cold temps + bright light usually darken them]

This message was edited Jul 13, 2009 10:15 AM

Thumbnail by huiray
Indianapolis, IN

Neofinetia falcata var. Shutenno. Different view.

Thumbnail by huiray
Indianapolis, IN

Neofinetia falcata var. Shutenno - closeup.

Thumbnail by huiray

So pretty!!
Sniff (my first neo but I lost it to the great plant heaven in the sky).

Fredericton, NB(Zone 5a)

Todd, nice to see a paph in bloom, I have so many and it is rare to ever see one in bloom.

Raymond, lovely Neofinetias, the var. Shutenno is very showy.

Ursula, the range of the Rose Pogonias extends into Nova Scotia as well. This picture was taken July 8 in a bog adjacent to the Swiss Air Disaster Memorial Site at St Margarets Bay, which is very near Peggy's Cove.

Thumbnail by Ironwood
Fredericton, NB(Zone 5a)

An out of focus picture of face of Pitcher Plant showing Rose Pogonias in background.

Spelling English language.

This message was edited Jul 13, 2009 5:41 PM

Thumbnail by Ironwood
Fredericton, NB(Zone 5a)

The back side of Pitcher Plant with out of focus Rose Pogonias in background.

Spelling English language.

This message was edited Jul 13, 2009 5:42 PM

Thumbnail by Ironwood
Fredericton, NB(Zone 5a)

The red veined vegetation is the actual Pitcher for Pitcher Plant.

Thumbnail by Ironwood
Fredericton, NB(Zone 5a)

Lighthouse at Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia.

Ken

Thumbnail by Ironwood
Fredericton, NB(Zone 5a)

My pot grown Bletilla striata is blooming, the ones with the variegated leaves have a deeper color.

Ken

Thumbnail by Ironwood
Fredericton, NB(Zone 5a)

Cochleanthes Moliere with its pleasant clove scent is blooming.

Ken

Thumbnail by Ironwood
Fredericton, NB(Zone 5a)

Sc Crystelle Smith 'Aileen' is blooming again. The color of the blooms seems less intense this time, probably due to all the dull weather.

Ken

Thumbnail by Ironwood
Fredericton, NB(Zone 5a)

Both spikes of Psychopsis Butterfly are in bloom. It is first bloom for second spike and taller spike.

Ken

Thumbnail by Ironwood
Fredericton, NB(Zone 5a)

Brassia Rex 'Okika' put on quite a display with its 15 inch fragrant blooms.

Thumbnail by Ironwood
Fredericton, NB(Zone 5a)

Close up of Brassia Rex 'Okika' showing its size.

Ken

Thumbnail by Ironwood
Indianapolis, IN

Thanks.

Kathy, you'll get another one.

Ken, great stuff all around. Very impressive Brassia!!

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Wonderful show, Ken.

Jim

Wow. I like that Cochleanthes Moliere and those are huge flowers on the Brassia Rex!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I like Moliere and the Cochleanthes! Bravo, Ken!

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Raymond, lovely Shutenno! ( Hmm, come to think of it, I never posted mine. )

Ken, how nice of you to post the Rose Pogonia growing in its more Northern habitat. Aren't they pretty? And the Pitcher plants are great!
And - I like the 'Aileen' a lot. I had to pick one up after seeing it here. The Brassia is very showy!

About our tour - Raymond, we didn't lose anybody, not even in the sand.... And to answer your question, we came across a Platanthera, we were told it was blephariglottis.
I found a list which includes the Orchids growing in the NJ Pine Barrens:
http://www.mikebaker.com/plants/parallel.html

I just finished uploading some pictures to my website, perhaps you will enjoy the tour into the Pine Barrens.
http://www.kammlott.net/PineBarrens/

And here is the Platanthera blephariglottis. This single plant was growing at the edge of shallow water with hundreds of white Water lilies.

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

A nice fat spike on the Platanthera, lots of buds!

Thumbnail by RUK

Well that was fun romp! The "Nymphaeas" cracked me up! BTW, I had a boyfriend who was a piney, but I don't remember much flower hunting! I also wanted to see pitcher plants yesterday so I went to Black Jungle. They had a few calopogons growing in the bog garden. We talked about the possibility of his selling terrestrials......

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

A "fun romp" describes it best! :-)

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks Ursula, I enjoyed the tour.

My Brassia Eternal Wind 'sato' is blooming.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.