July Orchids...the Heat is On!

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Looks like the tampensis is fantasizing that it's in Tampa!

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Send it on down. Encyclias do well for me and the blooms last a long time.

Jim

Indianapolis, IN

Laelia purpurata (var. sanguinea x var. flamea) - fully open. Take a look here, if you like: http://gallery.me.com/huiray/100014

Indianapolis, IN

Nice show, Kathy & Ursula.

Kathy, your L. Pacavia certainly looks like almost wholly L purpurata...even tending towards carnea-type...but the sepals/petals do seem broader and there seem to be long linear lines in them too. Yes, as Ursula suggested, ask him/her which variety of L purpurata was used, if you wish to pursue this further. Also, was this plant truly from the same seed pod as the rest of the plants he/she offered for sale?

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks.
Beautiful purpurata!! The flowers sure pop with that dramatic black background.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Coming home this evening, my other, small L. purpurata had opened a spike in the cage. This is 'Delicata'. I took it upstairs for a picture or two.

Kathy, that's the one I had bought from Roger 2 years ago.

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

another angle, it sure looks delicate?

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

I am glad it was growing in a freely draining basket.

Thumbnail by RUK
Indianapolis, IN

Yes, it is kind-of delicate-looking, Ursula. Nice.
Mine was one of those that got frozen in the breezeway last winter.

I still have a delicata although no signs of a spike. I got mine from David. I bet I encouraged you to get that one from Roger!! Just beautiful!

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

You had lost some nice stuff there, Raymond.
Yes, Kathy - I believe you did recommend it to me! I think the delicata is right now a bit of a Band-aid for me, if that makes sense. I just wince looking at my other one. Oh well.

And we think our orchids are the sensitive ones!! I had such an awful winter watching my orchids die and die while I got up at 5:30 AM to water them. I guess till then, I was very lucky! I actually considered giving them away. Hope this winter goes better. I was an emotional wreck!

Laelia purpurata x L. tenebrosa. My new name.

Thumbnail by boojum

Another.

Thumbnail by boojum

I'd say I'm happy with this one.

Thumbnail by boojum

And near outside garden friends.

Thumbnail by boojum

And even though there are only three buds, I'm encouraged that we will see Hisui!

Thumbnail by boojum
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Your "new name" is getting showier by the day. I think these blooms really need to mature a bit to show their full potential.
And Hisui it will be in flower....

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

My Rhyncholaelia digbyana never opens all buds at the same time. I don't mind at all, this way I can can enjoy a longer blooming season. I took it inside yesterday, it has a very nice lemony scent in the evening.

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Phal cornu-cervi opened another bloom.

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

And, I tried to take some better pics of the 'Delicata'. I used a blue poster board as background.

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

And this one is truly the last one. :-)

Thumbnail by RUK
Indianapolis, IN

Well, Laelia purpurata x Laelia tenebrosa = Laelia Pacavia. I'm not sure what you are trying to get at, Kathy.
Your plant is very lovely by itself, but it still looks almost wholly L purpurata to me (http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=6792834) even if L tenebrosa and L purpurata are very close to each other. (e.g. see http://mirandaorchids.com/species23tenebrosaVGA.htm)

I guess I feel uncomfortable calling it pacavia when it looks so purpurata-like. Well whatever! It looks a bit like number 1 in the second link.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Delicata lives up to its name..very delicate!

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I don't know how delicate this is but Ascdas. Tubtim Velvet X Nakorn Sawan Bell is blooming for the second time in three months. I guess it's happy.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

I think it's delicate! And how wonderful that it likes where it lives!

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Jim, it's a very pretty Ascocenda!

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

A backlit pic of my Odontonia Yellow Parade

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

My reliable Paph callosum is in bloom again...two years in a row it has produced 3 simultaneous flowers.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland

Wonderful, Todd!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Todd, wish I had your way with these orchids. I'm always envious of your show.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Both are very nice Todd.

Jim

Indianapolis, IN

Good ones, Jim & Todd. Well grown.

Indianapolis, IN

Neofinetia falcata var. Suigai. (垂崖)

An unregistered variety.
Upward-pointing flowers, more-or-less, with pink tips. [These upwards-pointing flowers of fuukirans tend to have an "abbreviated" structure such as are exemplified here (compare with the "usual" more full-form laterally-facing flowers) and are called "heaven-facing" flowers in the Japanese]

This was posted on the root/leaves thread earlier with new roots emerging. (http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=6682367)

Raymond.

Edited to add the Kanji and flower/plant classifications.

This message was edited Jul 12, 2009 2:12 PM

Thumbnail by huiray
Indianapolis, IN

Neofinetia falcata var. Suigai. Another view.

Thumbnail by huiray
Indianapolis, IN

Neofinetia falcata var. Suigai. Rotated in the other direction.

Thumbnail by huiray
Indianapolis, IN

Neofinetia falcata var. Suigai. Closer look.

Thumbnail by huiray

Such great edges! Wish you could give me some pointers, Raymond, to get all those flowers! At least my neos are growing roots instead of a constant shedding of leaves. I like the coconut fiber (like Ursula because we both water daily). That has really helped. I use it for phals now, too. Do you keep them in sphagnum all throughout? How often do you water?

Indianapolis, IN

Kathy,

- For myself, I keep them dry, bright and cold in winter; they shrivel somewhat. I don't de-moss them. They are 'stressed' in winter.
- Water as needed (= when dry), daily is OK in summer for a while (e.g. rains) during their growing period while they are outside. But see above.
- Most are in moss, mounded Japanese-style, most with a cavity in the center of the moss ball.
- Some (usu. the Cal-Orchid stuff) are still in the 'tightly-packed' moss + styro peanuts potting, they are OK because I underwater them.

Other people have different habits. (e.g. Ursula; her plants flower for her too)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.