July Orchids...the Heat is On!

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Well, maybe the heat is on elsewhere...it is darn cold here on the first of July..only 48 F this morning. My cymbidiums are shaking with the cold outside. Meanwhile, I'll start the thread with my old reliable Odontonia Yellow Parade...delightfully fragrant due to the Miltoniopsis in the background.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the new thread and great starting pic. Wonderful.

Got up to more rain. I'm so worried about my cym roots rotting. Wish I had tarped them before the storm last night. I dug out all the hail, but it hasn't stopped raining for about 12 hours.

BTW, I just bought a Laelia pacavia on ebay. http://www.sborchid.com/plantdisplay.php?ocode=XLA092121

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks for starting a new thread! The Yellow Parade is cheerful.
Kathy, I do hope it dries up soon in your area! We still get downpours every late afternoon, but at least it is now sunny and warmer during the day.

I had a nice surprise a couple of days ago, my Coelogyne opened the next 2 spikes. (Nr 6 and 7 this season) And I see more waiting in the wings.
I had bought this plant last year tagged as Coelogyne pandurata, but it is most likely Burfordiense (asperata x pandurata).Those little warts on the lip are supposed to be white for it to be pandurata. I don't mind! This plant is a great bloomer.
This view greeted me yesterday on the deck.

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

And closing in a bit

Thumbnail by RUK

love that!

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Great looking Coelogyne!

Blooming at work is our Ascocentrum garayi

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Indianapolis, IN

Nice Odtna, Coel, & Asctm. Very pleasant to see.
Ursula, looks like your Coel. is going to be a multiple-bloomer...or at least a long-period bloomer!
Hail in June-July - climate change, people!

Indianapolis, IN

Neofinetia falcata var. Mikado.

I posted a pic of the plant [in May] earlier (before it flowered) as part of the selection of interesting foliage etc of neos here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=6682290

Raymond.

Thumbnail by huiray
Indianapolis, IN

Neofinetia falcata ver. Mikado - rotated a bit.

Thumbnail by huiray
Indianapolis, IN

Neofinetia falcata var. Mikado - from the top, close-up.

Thumbnail by huiray
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks.

Todd, pretty Asctm!

Raymond, the Mikado is beautiful! Very pretty variegation and all around nice.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I would be lucky to find a plain ole Neofinitia in Canada, let alone all these beautiful variegated forms!

Wonderful foliage and so healthy.

Fredericton, NB(Zone 5a)

Todd, that is a nice sunny start for the month and wonderful display on the Ascocentrum.

We could use some sun here it has been 2 solid weeks of cloudy skies rain and mist with humidities of 85 to 100% night and day. The slugs love it, I even found one on my deck today and it is more than 10 ft above the ground.

Kathy, nice catch on the Laelia.

Great Coelogyne Ursula, it looks like a well established plant.

Beautiful Neofinetia Raymond, gotta love those leaves.

Ken

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Not much sun here (although lots elsewhere in Newfoundland)...we are overcast and cold! Three days now that the temp has not gotten much above 50 F. Meanwhile only 10 miles away it is sunny and 75 F. Darn coastal winds!

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Rain all day, small hail predicted for today. But at least it will be warm.
- As Ursula goes out and secures the hail screen over the cage.

edited to add- slugs will snuggle under the rim of larger clay pots and also under armrest of lawn chairs.....fresh pellets have been dispersed.:-(

This message was edited Jul 2, 2009 9:39 AM

Indianapolis, IN

Thanks all.
Warm/cool up-and-down around here. Haven't had to water the grass yet this year.

Second downpour of the day. Tarp was up all night. It was off for this downpour. I'm afraid to leave it off if I go anywhere! It rains over and over. My pretty yellow lotus in bud had holes in all its leaves this AM, so guess we had some hail overnight. We never had hail before 3 years ago. Also one thunderstorm a day was typical, not 3. I officially declare global warming is changing our weather here.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Well at long last the sun broke through....up to 70 F now thnak goodness! Suppose to get rain here on Sunday...we really need it. We had only one day of rain in all of June.

Gainesville, FL

I have tons of vandaceous blooming!

Thumbnail by gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

another

Thumbnail by gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

un otro

Thumbnail by gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

yet again

Thumbnail by gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

fragrant...

Thumbnail by gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

VERY FRAGRANT

Thumbnail by gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

big Mokara

Thumbnail by gothqueen
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

GQ, your greenhouse must be heaven with all these wonderful beauties in bloom! Very pretty!

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

spectacular vanda display!

Indianapolis, IN

Lovely, GQ.

The fifth one looks like Aerides houlletiana.
The sixth one is some kind of Aerides, not quite Aer. lawrenceae nor Aer. odorata in look, yet could be, perhaps even a cross btw them?
The fourth looks like some kind of Ascofinetia or along those lines? (I guess you don't have the name for this?)
The third is an Asctm/Ascda
The second is reminiscent of the Ascda Crownfox line of hybrids.....

Gainesville, FL

The 1,2,3 I actually have tags on but was too lazy to record, LOL.The 4th is a Ronnyara (sp?) The 5th you are correct. The 6th is Aeriedes odorata "Maximus". I bought it at a sale the Univ of FL had for their Botany Dept years ago. It blooms faithfully. The Mokara is an unknown plant I picked up several years ago in the FL Keys. Its a specimen plant that has at least 8 different blooming foci. Its length (root + the height of the greenery) is over 12 ft.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Nothing so special as your magnificent Mokara here right now, just a small Cattleya. This is C. Dream Catcher or as it is labeled - Slc Dream Catcher. It started to open yesterday.

This message was edited Jul 3, 2009 7:19 AM

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

I included my lens cap as size comparison!
I am trying to stay ahead of trouble right now by growing a lot of my smaller Orchids in similar dishes or mounted to avoid rot and also discouraging slugs from feeling at home in decaying, soggy bark mixes.

Thumbnail by RUK

Nice one, Ursula. Great vanda show GQ!!!
Bought a Epicatt. Siam Jade today. Always liked it and finally ran into it in Brattleboro, VT.

Thumbnail by boojum

Close up.

Thumbnail by boojum
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

The mini is delightful Ursula while the apple green cat is so crisp and clean.

I think they go together quite nicely!!

Gainesville, FL

I love that mini! The colors are really nice. I like Catts but grow very few, they seem to attract bugs more than any other orchid

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks. :-)
Kathy, nice one! It sure was aptly named.

Laelia pacavia arrived with 4 buds intact.

Thumbnail by boojum

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.