Help with selection new shade tree

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

We had a huge ash tree cut down this past weekend. It was hollow inside from damage from carpenter ants and emerald ash borer. I miss my tree and shade. Now I plan to plant another tree. I am in zone 5 in mid Michigan near the lake. We have sandy soil and then clay. It's wet in the spring.

I'd like a fast growing shade tree with small leaves to make fall cleanup easier.

I'd like a hard wooded tree that won't break easily in the wind. We have a lot of wind here.

If possible something that is easy and not prone to a lot of bugs or diseases and is long lived.

This tree will be planted to shade our deck.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

One possibility is Tilia cordata

http://hort.ufl.edu/trees/TILCORC.pdf

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

That's perfect! Thank you so much. Now, I just have to give this to my local nursery to order if not in stock.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Stick with 'Greenspire' as it's resistant to Japanese beetles. Another to consider that grows rapidly when young but then slows down, is pest resistant and tolerates some flooding is a Thornless Honey Locust. 'Shademaster' is a tough beautiful tree. It does have some what larger compound leaves.
http://hort.ufl.edu/trees/GLETRIC.pdf

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Two other trees I might suggest - Katsura tree (cercidiphyllum japonicum). It is relatively fast growing, reasonably long lived and is fabulous in all seasons. Second suggestion is Kentucky Coffe Tree (gymnocladus dioicus). It is not fast growing for the first 5 years but after that look out. It casts filtered shade like the locust tree (in fact both of these trees belong to the legume family, are nitrogen fixers and have large, compound leaves). It is also a native, tolerant of a very wide range of soil conditions.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

I also second the Kentucky Coffee Tree. It is diocious, meaning that it may be a male or a female tree. The female trees drop pretty good sized seed pods. I do like this tree very much and consider the seed pod drop worth the clean up effort. If overhanging a deck a male would be the choice.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Snapple, do you have to shop for your Kentucky Coffee Tree in fruiting season to tell if you're buying a male or female?
I've never seen them identified by gender.
I've never noticed the seed pods on my Ky Coffee Tree. I need to pay more attention.
I think an underappreciated asset is it's nice trunk texture. Sadly, drab fall color.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

The nurserys here only carry males. That's because the most demand for them locally is for street trees and no city/town wants to plant anything that's going to litter sidewalks etc. So I suppose that's why you don't see the female ones often.

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

I have a female Kentucky Coffee tree and where it is situated the seedpods do not cause an issue. In general, it does not have good fall color but depending on weather conditions it can be spectacular. Here is my tree late last fall (2008).

Thumbnail by frahnzone5
AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Wow that is a beautiful tree. Thank you everyone for giving me so many good suggestions. I'll be on the lookout for these trees. I asked my local nursery about the linden but they are sold out and won't be getting any more in this year. They did say they had some kind of locust with purple leaves??? I'll have to go see what it's like. I'll ask about the coffee tree. Since it's poisonous I won't have to worry about the leaf litter poisonoing my ground water or well will I? My dogs aren't into eating leaves either but somehow it worries me it's poisonous.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.