DAILY PICS. #228

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Let's continue sharing those wonderful pictures of birds. Everyone are welcome to share.
We came from here. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1007834/

The old nest by the highway, near Gagetown, N.B. is still being used by the Osprey.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Another pic of the Osprey.

Edited to erase repeats :))

This message was edited Jun 30, 2009 10:24 AM

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

What a great way to present a new thread with the grand Osprey! Beautiful magnificient bird! Thanks Burn for the new thread.

Marlton, NJ

Very nice pics burn! Thanks for starting the new thread!

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Burn, you did start us off with fantastic photos of that Osprey.
Linth, your photos in the last series were wonderful. I loved that I. Bunting's color and am glad to see another Waxwing shot.
Nanny, how lucky for you to enjoy seeing the Pileated-great job.
Frank, loved the N.Heron photos and that last Cattle Egret is so pretty.
Pelle, excellent capture of the Robin.
Rose, your Gfinches look very happy in that feeder.

I think this is a baby House Sparrow.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

One of our many Turkey Vultures.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

Nice Osprey pics, burn. And, thanks for starting the new thread.

duc, nice photos of the HOSP and the Turkey Vulture.

Here's a photo of another Indigo Bunting which illustrates the complexity associated with lighting. It's difficult to get it right. The sun goes in, the sun comes out. The subject is light or dark and will be impacted by its background. When possible, I take photos at different settings to make sure I get one that is fairly close.

Thumbnail by linthicum

An 'American Goldfinch' with his eye on a Dragonfly.

Thumbnail by linthicum

Did this Red-bellied Woodpecker fit into that little hole ?

Thumbnail by linthicum
Marlton, NJ

Nice pics duc! Love the Vulture!

Linth, Good idea when the subject is fairly still. Love the Goldfinch and I'll say yes the red-bellied fit in the hole. :-)

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Linth the goldfinch/dragonfly pic is outstanding!

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Linth, I agree, that Gfinch and dragonfly photo is amazing!! I've been practicing taking my photos of birds with the brighter leaves behind them and they sure aren't turning out as beautiful as your beautiful Bunting. Great one of the wp too! You sure were in the right place at the right time!

Thanks, everyone. This year I was fortunate in that I came across both a Downy Woodpecker nesting site and the Red-bellied Woodpecker nesting tree. Actually, the latter is in a dead tree at the edge of a marsh. I've taken lots of photos of the parents coming and going, with Blackberries, to feed the young. The morning sun was perfect for the Red-bellied WP photos. I was hoping to get back to see the young but they're probably gone by now. When I first spotted the hole, I thought no way can a Red-bellied WP get in there, but they did. And, actually disappear within.

This is sort of one of my favorite poses ......

Thumbnail by linthicum

Here is the dad with some nice fresh blackberries .......

Thumbnail by linthicum

Here's the mother with not as ripe blackberries. They kept taking turns, returning every 10-15 minutes with more food.

Thumbnail by linthicum

The headless woodpecker ...............

The moral of the story ...... "Don't lose your head while raising the kids !!!"

This message was edited Jun 30, 2009 3:44 PM

Thumbnail by linthicum

One last pose ........

Thumbnail by linthicum
Wilmar, AR(Zone 8a)

Great woodpecker series, linth!
Love the Goldfinch/dragonfly pic too
Thanks for starting us off so well, Burn
Nice pics, ducbucin

Marlton, NJ

Great pics Linth!

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Oh just love the Red-bellied Woodpecker shots, and that Goldfinch one.
Duc never seen a Turkey Vulture, good job on the one in flight.
Thanks you everyone, for your comments.
My DH told me, he had seen a bird at the pond last week, that we had never seen before. From his description, I showed him the picture of the Wablers, and he pointed out the male American Redstart. I had taken a picture of a female last year, but had never seen the male. Since then, I have been scanning the pond area for sight of him. I was rewarded with his presence today. My pic isn't very clear, and it is crop 100%. Hopefully, he'll give me another chance, to get a better pic. of him.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

An American Goldfinch, in the neighbor's yard.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Pine Siskens.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Fresno, CA(Zone 9b)

WOW!! You folks are amazing! Forgive me for not giving thanks by name, there are so many of you with such wonderful opportunity to catch these wonderful birds. If I tried, I'd leave one of you out and none of you deserves to be left out, as your photos are lovely and so creative.

Know, however, that this lurker enjoys your creative work tremendously!

Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to pass them along to us.

Linda

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I've got a serries of this female finch fluffing its wings, head's furs standing on ends to demonstrate to others how to go about feeding at the feeder. It's really a sight! It was calling, fluffing, dancing for a good long while -- teaching others to come to feed. lol.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Twincol you are so right there are so many amazing people here!!

Linth that is an incredible WP series!!

I am still not 100% on rather this is a female or juvie...but I think this is the female Pileated Woodpecker. The female is not a frequent visitor for some reason.

This message was edited Jun 30, 2009 10:43 PM

Thumbnail by nanny_56

She even tried out the little feeder that has safflower seed in it. Now that was a funny sight!! LOL

Thumbnail by nanny_56

It worked hard to get to that suet too!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

We are so happy that we have had a couple of Brown Thrashers showing up again!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Of course the Baltimore Orioles are still around and very busy now. Here is a male at the jelly dish.

Thumbnail by nanny_56

And one of our Robins looking for dinner.

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Aw Nanny, I can just imagine how much fun you are having.

PERTH, Australia

Wonderful opening shots for the new thread, Burn.

Linth, the Indigo Bunting is so beautiful and the shot of the American Goldfinch eyeing the dragonfly is a stunner, but I really love the Woodpecker series.

duc, don't you get a little worried with vultures circling overhead? Great photo.

Nanny, how fortunate are you to have the Pileated in your garden. Australia doesn't have any Woodpeckers, so I really enjoy seeing all the varieties posted on the threads.

At long last, after being baked dry for several months, our local swamp has a bit water in it and the birds are returning in droves. This is a Red Wattlebird, a large Honeyeater. They aren't dependent on wetlands, but certainly enjoy the additional insects the return of water brings.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Resin identified this bird as a Swamp Harrier. It was being driven off by two Australian Ravens.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Magpie Lark.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Another Red Wattlebird. I love the way his yellow belly feathers match the background colour of the swamp grass.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

I took my point and shoot camera along with me as well. A pair of Black Swans came out of the swamp to greet us. The male was particularly inquisitive and was intrigued by the camera.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

He was so close I couldn't focus. This shot was taken a split second before he grabbed the camera (and my finger).

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Columbia City, IN(Zone 5b)

MargretK,Great shots,love the swan,looks like he is really cking you out!!mmm very interesting !!!

PERTH, Australia

Thanks huggergirl. He sure was.

And here's one for Mrs Ed. Swan with Norfolk Island Pine.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Columbia City, IN(Zone 5b)

MargaretK,love that one too,I need to go to one of our many bird sanctuaries,and sit and bird watch,instead of always gardening !!! I could use a break !! Tamara

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.