Clematis Dead After Planting - Please Help!

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi -

I planted my first clem. about 3 weeks ago. It had been mailed to me after it was already pruned back. There was growth left on it when I planted, but that soon all died within a week, and now - there is NOTHING there! Have I killed it? Is there anything I can do at this point even thought all the growth has disappeared?

Thanks.

Delaware, OH

knitty natty i have had oodles of clems do this, esp when planted in hot weather. it could take a few weeks to show growth or even longer. i have even had them rest till the next year. if you have brown stems a couple of inches, cut them to the ground now. i usually leave a little stem even if it is browning off, then a few weeks later trim it to ground level. why? don't know, just what i do.

this is more likely to happen with a smaller root in my experience, but i have had one nice size root do this. welcome to the world of clems...like an interesting person, they do have their own way and can be not as predictible as the boring person whose every move and motivation you can predict with eyes closed.

have you fertilized since planting? how has watering been? more clems are killed by overwatering than underwatering, but you are in a hot area and new planting should not dry out.

the root is establishing and this just takes some time in hot weather. clearly mark the spot where you planted the clem before you trim off all brown leaves. fertilize now and again in a few weeks if it does not appear. good luck....if this is truly your first clem (vs first planted this year), i feel bad it happened on the first...we want folks to love clems like we do!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

If it's of any comfort I've had the same experience as you and ClematisGuru. It is very upsetting to think the clematis died but often it's not the case. Just make sure it's mulched and well marked so when it begins to grow you won't forget the name and you won't think you have an available spot to plant.

Delaware, OH

it is a comfort to know other have the same things happen. clems have a mind of their won, we have to respect it. and then get the rewards!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.