Iris Garden Musings

Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

I registered six SDB irises this year, and I started dividing the clumps this afternoon and lining them out in the garden. Due to space limitations and the fact that SDB's increase like weeds, I am only lining out seven or eight rhizomes of each kind.

As I was doing this, I realized that there were going to be alot left of some of them. It seems a shame to just dump the extras, so I thought I'd come on here and offer them for postage.

Here are all of my registrations:

http://keystonecrossroads.com/my_iris_registrations.htm

Postage will be $6.50 and I can take Paypal. The first 6 people to post after my post will get a mixed box of any or all of them depending on how much I have. If you have a preference for one of them, or don't particularly care for one of them, let me know and I'll do my best to accomodate you. ( I only have two extra rhizomes of Keystone Dark Star and Fuzzy Logic will be limited as well.) Spring Peeper will be included, so if you already have this one, let me know.

I plan on shipping next Monday or Tuesday. Edited to add: weather permitting. Looks like rain all week. :-(

If I find I still have alot left over after I send to the six at the top of the list, I will contact the next folks in line on the list.

Heck, I am never going to be a big-name hybridizer, and I'm not doing this to get rich. :-) I might as well spread the love!

This message was edited Jun 29, 2009 8:52 PM

Blanchard, MI(Zone 5a)

I'll take some please. will D-mail you.

South Hamilton, MA

Would suggest planting the extras in pots. You don't want too few newbees.

Midland, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi,
I would love some new SDB. They bloom here in early March and make a marvelous spring garden. I currently have 3 SDB s and would enjoy having more. Congratulations on being a successful hybridizer! You are gracious to share. Where can I send the postage?

Peg

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Who are you going to have intro them? I would love one of each, and have plenty of room. I can keep them well labeled, and should you need any back, I will be glad to send them to you. I have been told if you want to intro an iris it's best to have 50-100 of them.

Midland, TX(Zone 8a)

Good idea pollyk! I also keep mine labeled and would give the increases back but make sure you have enough for your intro.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

I'd love to have one of each please. Will Dmail with address.

Roni

Chattanooga, TN(Zone 7b)

i'd love to have some also, i have never grown any SDB but would like to give it a try.

Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

Okay, I will be sending to these people:

NeilTR
DaLoveRat
PegwestTx
Elizabethtown
GreenthumbsTN
Pollyk

These are already intro'd via a catalog I had printed up. I'm not doing this big time or looking to set the world on fire-- just a backyard hybridizer having a good time. :-)

You can paypal me at sherry@keystonecrossroads.com or mail to me at

Sherry Jesberger
P.O. Box 130
Kylertown, PA 16847

Thanks!

Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

Okay, I got Paypal payment from Elizabethtown, PollyK, and GreenthumbsTN.

I assume everyone else is sending a check.

We had a giant thunderstorm come through this morning already. Hope it dries up for the holiday weekend.

Blanchard, MI(Zone 5a)

Yes, thank-you.

Eighty Four, PA(Zone 6a)

I would enjoy some of your iris' if there are still some left.

Its always fun to share...expecially when it is a plant you hybridized.

Thanks!
Lisa

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

WOW Indashade,

those are georgeous flowers. keep up the good work!

Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

These irises will go out Tuesday, instead of Monday.

After spending the day digging, cleaning and marking the irises, I discovered that I didn't have the right size Priority Mail boxes when I went to get them ready for shipping. >:-/

Sorry about that guys. If the "one day later" shipping date is bad for anyone, please let me know before tomorrow night.

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Hi, put me on the list if you have any spares after shipping to others. We don't have any SDB and yours are beautiful. We live in the same zone as you at 7,000' which would be a good test for your babies. ^_^
Donna

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

I'm okay with waiting an extra day or two for my newly adopted babies.

Columbus, OH

Indashade, if you have any left please have them join my irish patch for next spring's blooming period. Good Luck with your intro. I would like to reach your level of gardening. Thanks'
confussedlady

Chattanooga, TN(Zone 7b)

i'm fine with waiting. mail them whenever it's convenient to you.

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Same here, whenever you have time to ship them is fine.

Thanks, Neil

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I am disgusted that I didn't find this until now. If there are any left I would love some. I already have Spring Peeper, so anything else would be great. If I hear that you have some left I will quickly send you postage via PayPal. Thanks for offering us this opportunity. What catalog has your intros? Just in case I am too late.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I just wanted to tell you that I think your intros are GORGEOUS... congrats on your new babies :)
Brittany

Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

Okay guys-- everything is in the mail. If you need a confirmation number, just d-mail me privately and I'll give it to you.

And, unfortunately, I have shipped everything that I had. Some got all, and some got most. :-)

Paja, I printed my own catalog, but since I am the only one who has them for right now, next year will be the next best opportunity to get some.

Sorry guys. The clumps were so overgrown that I HAD to divide them and soon.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

That sounds like they are very prolific. I can't wait to see what I got.

I hope Spring Peeper is in mine. Its such a cutie! I tried when it first came out, but got too ill to work the garden and hubby put all the boxes in the basement so I wouldn't fret about them -- I lost most of the trades/orders that year and the ones that survived after being retrieved the following spring are not blooming true to name -- so they must be the freebies and bonuses that came with the orders and trades I will never know so out they go to make room for more of your lovelies. :)

Roni

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Inda,

Mine box arrived today! What great, healthy plants! They are already in their pots. Am I mistaken or do I see PBF on all of them except Fuzzy Logic?

Roni

Chattanooga, TN(Zone 7b)

sherry, my box has arrived and the babies look beautiful. i have the bed all prepared for them and they'll get to see their new home when it's cool first thing tomorrow morning. hope they'll like it here with us.
belle

Midland, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi IndaShade,
Your box arrived in good shape today and the first one is in the ground. Since nothing in the yard is "in the shade" yet, I am going to wait until the 102* temp drops down into the 90*s and the raised bed is in a bit more shade to plant the other babies. I am so glad you included Spring Peeper.
Thanks so much for sharing and doing all the work digging, cleaning and mailing!!!
Peg

(What is PBF?)

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Purple Based Foliage, did you notice that some of them have it? I didn't get Spring Peeper so I can't tell on that one.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

To further explain Purple Based Foliage has some purple markings at the base of the fans. It took me forever to figure that one out. As I understand it, people believe irises with purple at the base of the leaves are strong than those without it.

South Hamilton, MA

People will believe anything.

Midland, TX(Zone 8a)

O.K. Thanks for the PBF info. Does that belief that iris with purple based foliage are a stronger iris hold true for IBs and TBs, etc.?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes, that is a question for Lucy, ( IrisMa).

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I received mine today in excellent shape. Thank you so much for doing this. They will all have a special place in my garden.

Blanchard, MI(Zone 5a)

Mine also arrived today, thank you Sherry.

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm going outside to pot mine as well. They arrived yesterday. Thank you for sharing your iris!

South Hamilton, MA

I don't know if pbf give extra strength or not. It would be the same for all types if it did. It used to be thought that it prohibited the iris borer, but the late Fred Gadd (aril & TB person) said it did not. I like it because if plants try to grow into each other, you can tell them apart.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Good point. I think it is attractive and I think some times it helps tell one cultivar from another when the flowers are very similar.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.