audrebytes South Lyon, MI Welcome to DG

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi....this is the Michigan forum....Hope you enjoy your stay here..it is a great garden site...from soup to nuts..we say...lol...Come here if you have something you need to know about the site..post...someone will help out for sure...

Again...welcome... smiles..Diana...

Thumbnail by WantabeGardener
South Lyon, MI(Zone 5a)

hey thanks. :-)

just redid my front landscaping so this summer i've turned into 'quite the little gardener' -- thought , i'd poke around to see if could learn something.

actually, i do admit i'm a bit of a hosta freak. so many varieties... so little time.....

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Welcome Audrebytes. We're so glad you've joined in. Hostas are great plants and pretty carefree.Do share some pictures of your front landscaping if you have any. We love to hear about everyone's garden efforts.

Brenda

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

welcome to the site please do let us see your gardens we all love pics
Gloria ;0)

South Lyon, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks -

I decided to go with a 'singularly interesting' landscape concept for my front this time, rather than 'what looks good from the road' - that is, the parts that are closest to my front door and that I can see from inside the house I've filled with individual plants that I found interesting for one reason or another.

There is no apparent rhyme or reason except that each plant is something that caught my attention at the time. Some of the plants are minuscule and you can't even see them from 10 feet away, but when I get out there to check on everything I find that I spend alot of time enjoying taking in the details and peculiarities of each little guy. So this new setting has been successful in that I find it "invites closer examination" and people are drawn in to see what the heck is going on with all these little things.

Whereas before, the configuration was more 'showy' but held less interest for me personally. You know the 'big statement for showing off 'the entire thing' like a grand statement.

I am really liking the change.

I also decided to start collecting hostas. I've got some real shady spots that have been doing zero for beautifying the yard so I just went out and got a few 'starter bundles' of some very nice cultivars. I think when this next batch comes in, I'll have close to 30 different hostas so it's a good start LOL.

Do either of you have photos of your own plantings? I too, enjoy seeing what other people do -- great for inspiration!

I'm afraid mine isn't much to photograph at the moment LOL. Maybe when some of the plants mature... right now it looks... NEW.

Oh this is one of my unique guys - sadly I don't have the tag to tell me what he is, but as you can see, even if you had a bunch they would not really 'do much' visually, but as an interesting plant.. very cool. :-)

Peace,
audre

Thumbnail by audrebytes
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

welcome to the site and the michigan forum
I have a collection of over 200 named hosta
and a bunch of unnamed ones too!
I have several collections actually-im a collection freak!!

i need to take new pics but have many on the site
here is last yrs hosta
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/918453/

welcome and have fun
dori

Thumbnail by notmartha
Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Welcome Audre ^_^

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I have some hosta out front under a pine tree but they got buried this spring by a lot of heliotrope that popped up. I need to get back there and rescue them. My son wants some so I'm going to divide them and send some to his place.

Here is a pic I took this past week of the double red Knockout roses I planted last year. They are doing so well and I just love how carefree they are.

Brenda

Thumbnail by Loon
Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Brenda the roses are beautiful! where did u get them from?

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I bought them from here on Daves at a coop sale. The roses were from Nancy Lindley's nursery, Great Lakes Roses downstate. She was going out of business as her and her husband were moving to Thailand and we got a big group buy on her roses. I bought a dozen of them and they were large, healthy and blooming when they arrived at my post office. My maillady called me and asked if I'd please come up there and pick them up since the boxes were big. When I got them home and opened them I was amazed at how beautiful they were. They were all in bloom. I had pre-dug the holes a couple weeks ahead of time. My husband wanted to try out his new "toy" which is an auger type attachment for his tractor. It made short work out of drilling nice big holes. When I went to plant the roses all I had here was a half pallet of compost/manure so I used that to backfill in the roses with. I then put a good layer of mulch around them with a little Osmocote.

They bloomed like this all the way till frost. Because we have so many deer here and rabbits I bought foam cones to put over them to protect them. I made some small holes in the top for air and put rocks on them to hold them down. I had to cut the roses back to fit under them. I did buy the large ones. I didn't remove them till end of March I think and when I did was I surprised. There wasn't one bit of winter dieback on any of the roses. They were already started to leaf out. I just put some Osmocote around each plant and sprayed them with Messenger and that's it. I do hit them with spray when we spray all our fruit trees. I think that keeps the bugs away.

I think the price I paid was around $12 each. I priced the same rose at Rogers nursery here in town and it was $39 for a gallon sized pot. I could never have afforded that since I was buying a dozen to go all along the fenceline. This is one hearty rose which I like. I don't like fussy plants. I am an old lazy gardener now. :)

Brenda

South Lyon, MI(Zone 5a)

beautiful stuff! and inspirational. :-)

the roses are stunning. i had roses for a while but the japenese beetles decimated all the flowers so i gave up because i just could not get rid of the bugs without doing something drastic that involved pesticides.

and the hosta garden is very nice - something like what i'm working on at the moment. i've got lots of shaded areas that can really benefit from some hosta-love LOL.

peace,
audre

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

hi audre
welcome to our michigan group. i fight the fight against the japanese beetles, and every year they win.
: (((

Sounds like you could use some of NotMarthas Hosta divisions! LOL

This year I am going to do like Loon and use rose cones over the winter. I don't have that
many roses nor are they big enough to require a truck to cover them, so hopefully, I won't
have 5 of them die over the winter every year. sigh.

We grow garlics and have regular crops also.
Sheri

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.