Heidi Chronicles - Make Room For Baby

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

This is the ongoing story of Heidi and friends, raccoons who frequent my backyard wildlife buffet. At the moment we are waiting with growing impatience for the much anticipated arrival of those 09 kits - and we know they are out there. They can't hide forever.

prior thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1003830
original thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/603944

The photo is of Echo, a yearling, standing up to get my attention in hopes that I will toss her a yummy treat. Echo learned this behavior from Jerry, the latter name for football great Jerry Rice because she always looked as though she were waiting for a pass. Echo received her name for this tendency to mimic Jerry's behavior of standing upright.

Thumbnail by DreamOfSpring
Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

Just marking the thread, don't want to lose you like I did last time. LOL

=^..^=

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Great, Susan!

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

I be here. : ) I hoping that you get out of pain real soon. Is this the doc that helpe d relieve of pain before. Hate the idea of you havign to go to work in such pain.

Got afeelign it gona be several weeks befor e ya se e them baies. wa s just sittign here and thinking hope heidi and especially friady cn aget enough food this week, cuz realize d it 4th of july weekend and with al th epartying an dnois e and fire cracers, heidi and fraidy and most of the gang probably ain't gonna be out and about.

Already thinking abotu all the animals roudn her e that gonan be lost and whining and cryign from the noise.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi starlight,

Thanks for the good wishes.

Last year much to my surprise the raccoons did come out and eat despite the plethora of fireworks going off overhead all night and even all weekend long. Last summer this time I was going out there in the late afternoon an hour or so before dark. Heidi and many of the other raccoons would come out then (in daylight), and I would take videos. On July 4th of last year, I went out there expecting that the raccoons probably wouldn't show up. Even though it was light out the fireworks had already begun. A few minutes after I sat down, Bast showed up followed by several of the others. Not only did they come to eat on 4th of July amid all those fireworks, they also came out before dark that day.

I don't know if you remember but I took pictures last July 4th of one of the raccoons, forgot who now, peeking out from under the Adirondack chair to eat because he/she was a little upset about the noise - but out there eating all the same.

I doubt if Fraidy will show up though because in her current, debilitated state she steers clear of all controversy or anything at all dangerous. She's pretty defenseless right now and she knows it. The others appear to have become somewhat accustomed to the fireworks.

Hope your pets will do ok this year.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Tonight Dennis was back, but still no babies. I chastised her about that, told her I expect to see those babies and soon. She didn't answer. Later, before I left I told the entire crew to bring babies.

On the way out to the buffet tonight, Fraidy ran out ahead of me and the others, and I had a chance to watch her do her new lope. She is using all four feet for this slow run, but you can see a definite limp over the one hind leg. Seeing her run like that I thought she looked like any dog or cat I'd ever seen with a leg injury; most of all she sure didn't look as though her leg problem had anything to do with paralysis, well, at least not to my untrained eye.

She is also showing a much better appetite these days. Tonight I didn't stay out there.

Lyndonville, NY

Cheryl, I am happy to hear this latest progress report...from the untrained eye. Just keeping prayers going for our little gang. I, like you probably, am afraid to hope for too much...and trying very hard not to read into things that are not there. I have just seen so much up here...I get worried easily.

I understand your hip problem. I have a similar hip issue...and wake up in the morning totally numb. It helps me to sleep with a folded pillow between my legs to raise it up that the hip and leg are not pulling down...but up even. DH's chiropractor recommended this to me. It has helped quite a bit.

I hope your able to get some rest. Babies will be here soon...and you will be saying "what did I get myself into!" LOL

Debbie

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Debbie,

I hear you. Every time I report these apparent improvements, I always expect to add a disclaimer to the effect that 'since over the course of her illness I've reported a number of ups and downs and downs and ups, I would advise that we all wait until she's completely well before celebrating.' I completely concur with you on this. Given the pattern, it's hard to say whether she will end on a high note or a low note.

I still find myself vascillating wildly between the belief that I am helping an injured 'friend' through her recovery and the fear that I may be nurturing a hapless case of rabies. As to the ups and downs, however, once again I am reminded of my own circumstance in the wake of multiple knee surgeries. Every minor injury or illness I had sustained prior to that had been over in 2 weeks max, but with the knees I found myself riding a veritable roller coaster ride of ups and down not at all unlike Fraidy's situation. One day I was celebrating some new 'victory'; the next day I was limping around pitifully on my 'broken' limbs. Healing such deep wounds is a lengthy process, and not always one that moves in a straight line.

Thanks for the suggestion for my back. I do something similar already. I have an uber thick down comforter, king size so plenty to spare. I frequently, roll a few thicknesses of the comforter into something like on of those body pillows and tuck the lower part between my knees. It may sound convoluted but it works quite nicely and makes for an oh, so dreamy sleep - except when my back, hip, leg strikes - then no position works and I end up tossing and turning in pursuit of a painfree position until by mid morning I have the comforter balled up in knots and the poor dog has long since left the room for fear of being kicked.

Do you have siatic nerve probs? I think these things can manifest in myriad ways. I don't wake up with numbness. When mine acts up I spend the entire night in moderately severe pain. It feels like there is a rod or spear through my left hip - all night long no matter which way I turn. Argh! Other times my left leg will ache severely or I will have throbbing pains in the leg - all night long until I get up and take something. Sometimes, often lately, when I go to walk, my left leg will collapse under me which is most disconcerting.

Enough, enough already. I have promised myself I would stop whining - and here I go again. Argh! I'd like to be remembered for my [mostly] pleasant raccoon stories, not for my incessant whining.

Hope your hip feels better soon. (aging, and by that I mean anything past about 30, is rough, isn't it?)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Anybody remember Reba? I didn't think so. She was something of a bit player, one of Heidi's grown kids, 2 or 3 years old now. Redish blond hair, long. In the past she didn't do a lot of interest. She stayed at the edges of the buffet.

Recently, Dennis has relinquished her position as 1st Lietenant - or been fired, not sure. About the same time, Reba came to the forefront to challenge just about everybody, sometimes even Heidi. Reba's teats belie the presence of a litter somewhere, and she appears to have a bottomless appetite now - and she is quick to let everyone know that everything, everything is hers and that includes the food they are eating.

And now she barks, that right barks, to let everyone know to back off. Whereas Heidi grumbles, growls, and says, "Huuuuh!" with a mighty exhale, Reba barks like a mid sized dog. It's kind of cute really, although probably not for the others. lately she vascillates between barking at the others and standing semi-upright, hands out, while giving me her best "Oh, poor me" face.

Lyndonville, NY

Perhaps Widget has taught Reba to bark! LOL I do remember your lovely Reba, but sounds like she is a true firey redhead personality also to go with her name!

I don't know what is wrong with my hip. The doctor says "It isn't going to get better til you decide to loose weight". Well, I decided long ago to loose it...its just not complying with my desires. Right now I have horrible edema issues and the right leg is worse. The pain you describe in the hip area....sounds the same. Feels like a rod going through there....and a ton of weight pulling down on it. This past weekend, with all I had to do, couldn't even get shoes on! Had to swipe my DD's flip flops with the glitter on them to dress it up a bit.

We have sunshine for a bit...so going to attempt to work in the yard for a bit, and also attempt to shave a 110 lbs dog.....I don't know if I really want to do this but it is hot....and she needs it bad.

Debbie

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Debbie,

Thankfully, I don't have the edema - yet.

ROTFLOL at the picture of you and the dog wrestling with the shaver. Hope you don't end up with some kind of modified mohawk. : )

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Debbie,

Now I'm worried about you, and I've been worried since I read your last post. This edema thing really concerns me, and I'm even more concerned to hear that your Dr doesn't know the cause and is content to pass it off as a weight issue. Most of us could afford to loose lb or 3, but we don't all have swollen feet. And while it's clear that excess weight is an encumbrance on the body, at least in this era when famine is unlikely, the truth is that while I know probably a dozen or more people who have some kind of back problem, all but one of them is thin. I say this because I'm tired of Drs and patients waiving everything off as due to excess weight. If that's the cause of your back/hip/leg problem, then why are all of my thin friends and colleagues walking around complaining about back pain? (Ok, don't get me started on that soap box.)

Unless you already know the reason for the edema and are receiving treatment, I really think you should consider seeking another opinion on this. I don't mean to scare you, but most of the reasons I know of for swollen feet/legs/ankles are not good and the underlying cause really needs to be addressed. Even if those extra lbs are exacerbating the problem, there still needs to be an underlying cause...

...shutting up now and getting to work...

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

OH Heck... i was wondering why the last update on the other thread was days old.... .

Just got home, so i have a lot of catching up on... but i'm finally back on high speed [YAY}

just wanted to comment... Buddy was yapping up a storm... looked out back and saw Mama and Bambi....

our first baby!! in the almost 9yrs we've been here, I've never seen a lil one.

soooo cute.

Hope they didnt wander over to my flower beds... i was just out weeding... but heading back out....

OH -- have not seen Cleo in a long time... though someone comes a few nights per week to snack at the feeder... and one night i left out 2 brown eggs... they were gone the second night i put them out.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

around 8pm, i looked out the patio door -- and there was Mama again... Bambi must have been in the weeds.

I went up to my son's room and snapped this photo....

she is saying..... Yuuuum, New England Asters..... my favorite!!

but after about 4 huge mouthfuls... she moved on and was eating all the weeds!! i was so happy for that, [as my neighbor did zero weeding while i was gone]

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Peek -- Ooooo -- Boooo

I went out the front door, since no way would buddy let me out without him coming too... and i walked around back.... she was not bothered by me at all... i thought she may be a bit jumpy with the baby in the weeds .... but i took a bunch of photos, none really turning out since it was dusk and i was so far away....

That blue mound is a dirt pile that is covered by a tarp that is dry rotting so the weeds grow right thru.... she is on the back side, she had her front feet on the top and was eating, what looked like Bind Weed.... I was glad she moved to them from my NE Asters.

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

in this series... she was only about 20 feet from me... just walking past -- over to the weeds to eat more.

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

How adorable! She was a hungry gal and your plants just hit the spot! I love to look at them ......in other peoples yards,wouldn't want them in mine.

Judy

Lyndonville, NY

Cheryl, you are such a sweetheart. I am going to be just fine. And yes, you can read between the lines as to what I am not saying. Some scary health issues, But my doc is actually following me very closely. They have said a few words that are giving me .enough incentive to get me moving. They believe as the weight starts to come off...the problems will get better. I am really trying...although the weight coming off is a very big struggle.

Love the deer pictures! If you like...tomorrow I can try and lighten them a bit. My eyes are a bit too heavy to night.

Debbie

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Only have a minute. Battery dying fast, and I really need to be asleep anyhow.

Great pics, Terese! When I read the 1st post I thought at 1st that you had seen a baby raccoon and named it Bambi. Duh!

Debbie, Thanks for the info. Didn't mean to pry. Now I feel better.

Tonight:

I got home from work about 6:30, a good 2.5hrs from sundown. After stopping to grab a bite, I went to the back door to let Widget out. As soon as I approached the door a raccoon appeared at the door as if from out of nowhere and stood upright lightly tapping the glass. I put Widget away and grabbed the food bucket. As I stepped out, I caught a glimpse of the raccoon in the hedges near the door - and then it was gone. "Dennis?", I called as I walked out into the yard looking around for some sign of the missing raccoon, "Heidi?" Surely, it had to be one of these two.

When I had rounded the shrubs and was about 1/2 way to the buffet area and still calling, "Dennis, Heidi", a raccoon appeared and was gone again, reappeared, and was gone. She was, in effect, circling me at a slow run while going in and out of the hedges each time around. She seemed to be trying to decide about her safety. Things are different in daylight than in darkness.

After the 2nd large circle, she stopped. We were almost at the buffet by then. It was Heidi. I spoke to her and walked up to me. I gave her some food and sat down. She was a mere 12 to 16in in front of me, and although she had shown slight wariness in her earlier behavior, now she was reasonably comfortable. A few times I had to say, "It's ok" when the A/C went on/off or she heard some other sound, but mostly she was fairly calm. Having run out w/o my mosquito spray, I slapped a few mosquitoes on my arm - some 12-18in from her. Heidi looked up with eyes that said, "Oh, ok", and went on eating.

I put out the rest of the food and came back inside.

Now I must get to sleep.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Mama and Bambi must be bedding in the teasel field kiddywhampus from my house. they were practically at my back gate munching grass this morning. Had to let Bud out to do his business.... they jogged 2 doors down, watching with caution, but Bambi was bouncing and running around. I'll try to get a shot of him/her later....

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

About 6 weeks ago [Karen] liebran's name came up. I dropped her a note and she just replied ... she's a busy grandmother, still has a few raccoons...

Quoting:
Say hi to everyone and I will try to check in one of these days.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Terese,

Thanks for the info. How nice to hear about Karen and how she is doing. People still ask about her after all this time, and I think of her from time to time myself. We miss her. Glad to hear that she is doing well.

I didn't realize she actually had raccoons - except for the wild ones like most of have. Does she actually have pet raccoons?

Thanks again for the update.

I look forward to seeing pics of Bambi.

Valencia, PA(Zone 5b)

Thank you all for still thinking of me. I think of you A LOT. Believe it or not. I have ended up with not one, but at least 2 autoimmune problems-what they mostly do is make me very sleepy and I had lost interest in most things, especially the computer and even now I still only read it about once a week. I imagine something happened to HRH but I don't know what. If someone would let me know. So Dennis is a girl. Who knew. I had been just sneaking in to read now and then. I am shocked, Cheryle, that you actually picked one up--remember when you were afraid to go near them?? How time has passed. Here when I felt better, I used to go out and fill 5 pans every night with dog food and left overs and their cookies-Stauffers animal crackers-which they loved. As I got weaker, I just didn't have the energy. At that point I had Maggie and her crew who knew me and I could get near them and throw them peanuts which they loved. However, now, most every night, I make up 5 baggies of dog food, left overs, etc. and usually some cookies and we throw them over the dog fence at the wooded end of the dog run. The dogs and raccoons respect each other and won't be around when the other is. We only have 4 dogs left-a lot of the older ones died during this time. Made me very upset. Cancer is just what it is, but evil for my dogs. Anyhow, one I call LittleFace stands on his hind legs and waits for us to throw the bags--then he grabs his and runs into the woods with it to eat it all by himself. So cute. The others (usually 3-4) generally share--rip open the bag with those claws and eat. Occasionally we hear a snarf. At least I know I am helping them during the gestation and lactation times. I wish I had the energy to get close again. The other night I did go down close to the fence-everyone ran up a tree, and I threw some animal crackers which then ran down and ate as soon as I got on the porch. I guess it is best to leave them be wild as they live in a wild world, but I love to sit on the porch with a light and watch them-they don't mind the light now. I haven't seen any kits this year yet-just some yearlings. Sorry this is so long, but trying to catch you up. Since you heard from me, I became a grandmother--I'll have to send a pic. 2 beautiful boys-one 2.5 and one 4 months. We try to get out to see them once a month or so. They are 3 hours away (Pittsburgh area-Cleveland). You know Pittsburgh--the Super bowl and Stanley Cup champions. (I just had to add that-I love those two sports). So now you know most of everything. I will try to be more attentive, but now (of course) it is time for another nap. Love you all....and Terese, thank you for sending me the note. It brought a tear to my eye. Karen (aka Liebran)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Karen!

How very nice to 'see' you again! If you were to read through all of the threads you would find that over the years people have asked about you many times. Even new people who come along and start reading long after you 'left', people who were never here when you were, have asked about you. Clearly, you were missed!

I'm very sorry to hear about your health problems. One of the last times you posted you mentioned a heart problem, so we were all fearing the worst. I also went through a period of a couple of years during which I was very sleepy. Over time the problem grew worse to the point that I couldn't stay awake at work and would even leave work early to go home and sleep. Eventually, it got so bad that I would sleep through the entire weekend only waking up long enough to let the dog out, and take care of the bare necessities before going back to sleep. Thankfully, my problem was finally diagnosed, and with treatment I am now able to live a fairly normal life. The period during which I could not stay awake long enough to live my life was awful, so I truly feel for you and hope that your situation will somehow improve as mine has.

I am also sorry to hear of the deaths of your beautiful dogs. Only a pet lover understands how difficult the death of a beloved pet can be.

Although it is true that I have come a very long way in my relationship with and acceptance of the raccoons since those early days, I'm not sure what post or passage gave you the impression that I actually picked one up. I've never done that, nor would I as I suspect that even the friendliest of wild raccoons would be terrified by that. I've petted Dennis many, many times and have also petted Bast and Fraidy. One time long ago, Dennis stepped (front legs only) from the chair beside me onto my lap so that her front feet were on my legs or lap, her back feet were on the chair beside me, and her body was stretched across the air, but I didn't pick her up, she did that herself.

Oh, and, yes, one day back when 'he' was a yearling, Dennis brought two, tiny, skinny babies to dinner with 'him', brought them right up to my feet as if to say, "Look what I got!" Figuring no raccoon in her right mind would allow Dennis to baby sit, I had no alternative but to realize that our little 'boy' Dennis had grown up to be 'She' and a mommy at that. We talked about changing her name to Denise, but she had been Dennis for too long by then, and no other name would possibly work.

Congratulations on your grands! We look forward to seeing the pic.

Again, it's so good to hear from you again.

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

Wow! I expected to have much catching up to do when I got home, but this must be a record, a whole thread plus sections of two others. And through it all, no kits yet: bummer.

The photos are awesome, Cheryl, as always, and I can definitely see watermelon/cookie dunks in the future at Starbucks or some other trendy locale.

The photos of Fraidy were truly heartbreaking; the poor girl looked indescribably rough and ill. I really don't think rabies needs to be a concern, though of course one can never be 100% certain. Her injuries, including the recent huge abscess, are enough to account for her condition; she has never been the biggest or strongest raccoon, and that degree and continuing series of injuries would jeopardize the survival chances of even the toughest in the wild. And the most important thing to remember is that rabies never follows an up & down course of symptoms. The time involved varies from animal to animal and species to species, but it is always a steady and inexorable downhill path to death once the virus reaches the brain and begins to replicate. Paralysis can and often does occur; but again, it may begin in one part of the body but progresses to total paralysis, followed by coma and death. The "hydrophobia," or fear of water, BTW, is a total myth. Animals (or people) with rabies are burning with fever and desperate for water, but the swallow reflex is usually one of the first to be paralyzed, so the animal takes water into the mouth and it runs back out because they cannot swallow. People observing this interpret it as fear of water, and the inability to swallow saliva is interpreted as "foaming at the mouth." The fact that Fraidy is showing improvement, even if inconsistent and/or painfully slow, makes me confident she is not a rabies victim. Her ongoing appetite is also an excellent sign; appetite is one of the first casualties as the disease progresses, and once the paralysis begins the animal cannot swallow food.

From your description, I'd say that Fraidy is not yet "out of the woods" in terms of her survival prospects, and at best her recovery will be long and slow; but the fact that she is actively seeking help and showing some improvement is huge. You are doing everything possible to help her; the premium kitten food and coconut oil are great ideas for concentrated nutrition. You really need one of the "super soaker" water guns to fend off the crowd for her, however: huge capacity and no need to keep pumping away.... Keep the faith: I'm not ready to give up on the miracle kid as long as she's trying hard to survive.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Ruth!

I'm SO happy to hear from you. Hope you had an enjoyable trip. Sorry, but you aren't allowed to leave again. When the rabies fear (mine) reached its [1st] peak I was tempted to send a search party out after you. So glad you are back.

My creative mind was working overtime. A few days ago I started having rabies symptoms. I had a headache & pain (when do I not? I have arthritis). I was irritable (oh, wait, that happens often, too, these days.). Then when I started choking due to sinus/allergy symptoms and my persistent runny nose and sneezing prompted a colleague to insist I was coming down with something (flu-like symptoms), I totally freaked out and ran home to check my temperature having read that early symptoms in humans include: headache, pain, irritability, flu-like symptoms, and fever.

On the way home, I was certain I was dying. I felt all hot (it was only 102F that day) and feverish. I was really starting to work up a good case of panic (still driving home) when I realized I was hungry and took a detour to a restaurant to pick up a steak dinner - hey, when you're dying calories, cholesterol, and fat don't count. Somewhere between medium rare, pepper encrusted tenderloin and a most delectable slice of carrot cake I forgot all about rabies, lost my fever, and started feeling fine. Later when I remembered the whole fear of rabies things again it was too late to get my panic back. I had already allowed myself to slump into a state of total normalcy and could not go back.

I know rabies is no laughing matter, but I really did have an 'OMG, I've got rabies day' which only goes to show that my early fear of this invisible foe isn't really gone but is only lying dormant somewhere.

Recently I stated that Fraidy was looking good and walking like a 'normal' but injured animal. The very next day I was totally freaked out to see her limping like a rabid animal with paralysis of the hind limbs, this despite the fact that I have NO idea what a rabid animal looks like. A few days later in a moment of sanity while remembering my own inability to walk when a pinched nerve rendered my leg temporarily useless, I realized that one cannot limp on a paralyzed leg. At best one drags a paralyzed limb along if one manages to find a way to ambulate without it.

Then just 2 nights ago I was about to go totally bonkers when I saw Fraidy sitting down and stretching her upper body and arms in a circle around her to reach food. Just when I thought my paranoia could not get any worse, I watched as she scooted a short distance on her backside to reach additional food. OMG! Now she really was paralyzed - and the panic started all over again...at least, that is, until she got up, walked over to the tractor scoot, stood up on her hind legs to get a drink, and then walked over to me to see if I had anymore food before leaving for the evening. On the way 'out', she walked, limping, of course, but on all 4 legs, across the lawn to the area where she makes her daily exit.

So, as you can see, I really needed calming influence and technical expertise. I understand that no one can say with any certainty whether an animal is or is not incubating rabies until/unless a brain sample is tested. Still, your opinion, having read my observations and seen the pictures, is most helpful. I had so feared that upon returning to see those horrible pictures of her you would conclude the worse. I am thrilled to hear otherwise.

All of this, however, has had the cautionary benefit of reminding me of the dangers involved in my activities. Since the emergence of this recent fear that Fraidy might have rabies, I've been keeping a 'hands off' approach to all of the raccoons. I think perhaps I needed a reminder that these are not cats and dogs. In truth, I had grown a little to comfortable with them and they with me.

I have to take Widget out but will return in a few...

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

For now Fraidy continues to look 'good' and, above all, her behavior is exceedingly rational. She walks a very straight line on her nightly journey across the lawn, showing no sign of disorientation or confusion. Likewise, she totally non-combative.

That I of all people would see her 'sitting & scooting' behavior the other night while eating as a sure sign of rabies shows how easy it is to see what we are looking for. Ironically, just a few years ago in the wake of my knee surgery when I was determined to do things one way or the other, I actually found myself sitting on the floor to vacuum, pick things up, clean, etc. Just like Fraidy was doing the other night, I would sit down with tools, a trash bag, a basket for things to be put away, etc. I would pick up things (Widget's toys, etc) in the circle around me putting them in the trash bag or basket as appropriate. Then I'd vacuum the area around me, often with a hand held, portable vac. When I had finished the area around me, I would scoot a little way across the floor (usually hardwood) and repeat the process. When my legs were badly injured and during my recuperation - which BTW was quite lengthy - I did exactly what she was doing - and yet I still interpreted her behavior as a sure sign of illness.

As I pondered the possibility that Fraidy might have rabies, something which regrettably could happen with any of them at any time even if it isn't true of Fraidy now, I found myself increasingly painted into a corner with no way out, no good one at least. If, heaven forbid, I awoke tomorrow to find Fraidy outside exhibiting all of the classic symptoms of rabies, I would not be able to remove her from the area. I could not kill her. Even if I knew it were the right thing to do for all concerned, even Fraidy herself, and even if I summoned the inner strength to do the deed, I have no means to do such a thing here in the city where it is illegal to discharge a firearm. Furthermore, in such an act by any means I would risk exposure to hazardous body fluids.

I couldn't even trap her. Aside from the fact that handling a rabid animal, even a caged one would put me at risk, with so many raccoons around, there is about zero chance that I could catch a particular one - especially one who is being very cautious at the moment because she is unable to defend herself at all well.

Once I realized that, if the worst happened, I would be unable to kill or trap and remove a rabid animal, it became apparent that in time the whole group would have it. I pictured my backyard overflowing with dozens of screaming, fighting enraged creatures. I would have to call authorities to come and ...

Then there was the other scenario. When the [hopefully imaginary] rabid animal 1st began to show signs of aggression and rage, would Heidi go after her to drive her out of the area? And in this effort to protect her family and rid her domain of the threat, would she then become the next victim? I think we all know how I feel about Heidi. Each night as I watched her eat just inches from my feet, I couldn't help but wonder if we were even then in the last days of our time together - and then I would ask if her new found comfort around me might also be a sign of rabies...so, as you can see, my imagination has been going wild and unsupervised a lot lately.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

STILL, no kits! (None beyond that one night when I heard the trilling up over the fence and realized that Dennis had apparently brought her troop out too early again.) Last night while watching Heidi as she sat upright to scarf down watermelon chunks, I noticed that whereas she previously had enlarged teats, she now has swollen mamaries. I associate that with the weaning process. Right now they are only slightly to moderately swollen having not yet reached that point where they look so swollen as to induce sympathetic pain in the viewer.

While I am surprised that no kits have shown up yet, frankly, with my recent concern about rabies I have virtually celebrated each day that the kits don't arrive. In my mind, it's as though the buffet is a boiling cauldron of rabies germs and the kits are all safely tucked away in their sterile nurseries somewhere, and I cringe at the idea of them coming to dinner where they will be contaminated. Of course, if there really is a threat there moms are likely taking the germs home to the babies anyhow, but that's not how it works in my mind.

Valencia, PA(Zone 5b)

I feel sorry for you. I think you are in a higher rabies area than we are. The air drop vaccine seemed to help a lot. However, I still think of it. Our raccoons get their "baggies" just inches away from the dog run. I just pray we don't get rabies. Apparently distemper is more prevalent near here, but hard to tell, so anyone acting abnormal gets shot-only thing to do here. I hope your paranoia is just that, however I would think that the greater number of raccoons around-especially strangers--the greater chance of distemper or rabies. I pray it never happens to either of us! Karen

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Cheryl. Can understadn yoru panic. was not to logn agao I wsa in amassivie panic and literally freakign otu when I didn't knwo if I might have gottne rabie s form the cat.

fraidy is gonan be many many months in rehab of her body. She may show s signs of walkign adn moving better oen day and totalyl down the next. She could have fractured bone s in there, her hip could have gottne displace dtoo, mayebsh ehas oinche d nerves. Whatver ther e was extensiv e damage.

Have you evr starte d feelign better and than move d even slowly the wrogn way and doen injury again adn had the pain come flarign back up full.

remmebr fraidy is havign to climb fences, negociate the woodland forests , climb trees and dodge hudned s of other thing s daily in the wood s we dont' even think abotu walkign through them or can even imagine.

I woudl be very surpris e dnot to se e her lasps e back into ful pain mode and such. The slightets wrogn move and sap.. hurt the injury again. I wouldnt' really expect to se e her moving liek normal four probably at least 4 months.

heck pulel d should er mucle cna last from a fe w weeks to 6-8 months and we have med s at our disposal and we think more abotu our injuries.

fraidy gonan do what her natural inctincts tell her, I just don't se ehr sub conciously thinkign about how she move s in forest to prevent mroe injury .

You've been with thes e racoons and their little oens for many years now. You know just abotu all their personaltieis and little quirks. This is the first tiem you'v e really had to deal with a major injury , so it normal to be scared.

yes, it good to be upto dat eon rabie s shot s and to keep watch, but I think if evever, and to God ya don't had a ral case of rabies, you would knwo it fairly quickly. Yoru too perceptive and knwo your animals too well.

The thing I worry abotu is yoru crew is not sick and they actign normal and they healthy adn thanks to you even Fraidy , while be a logn slow process, is healy as best and nicely as possible.

What I worry abotu is you actign and beign so parinoid that the other s will pick up on this ne w mood of yorus and not maybe udnerstand it or take it as fear and maybe think on it as some sort of aggressionand t hat maybe whiel they don't have rabies, that youthe one with the cooties. LOL

This just me, but I say, ya nee dot try adn get ove r panic attacks of this. Your smart, intellenegt and a problem solver so if ther eis real trouble in heidi land you wil be first to knwo abotu it and how to handle it. remember you the racoon whisper and you will catch the breeze s on the wind of word s from the coons if somethign wrong. Cuz I think the first thing you wil notic e would be all the otehr s isolatign somebody out. Not normal kick otu the buffett the girls and babie s are here , btu agenral un easines sof the otehr s when a certain somebody come s in the group.

Since Hidi lettign fraidy ina dn eatign away even though she showing signs of jeaously, If fraidy wa s really sick, dont think she woudl let her around period. Liek ya say, thes e moms, e specialyl heidi wil do whatevr to protect the babies and they would sens e and not let a sick one in the group aroudnthe kits or tohers. Just my take.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Good to have you both back Karen and Ruth! It sounds like you can if not completely rest your fears about rabies at least breathe a bit easier Cheryl. I get a bit uneasy when I am not back to my side of the fence before my little group comes out. Here lately two come out as I am still filling the dishes and the other night I was caught between them while heading back. Of course they ignored me and kept on eating as I cautiously walked by,but it still unnerves me. They don't mind me talking to them as I go by.

I have a question. One of my Virginia box turtles was still out there looking for food when the first two raccoons came out and I wondered if the raccoons would hurt him. I watched as he made his move to leave the area when the light (she is really beautiful)one noticed it and started toward it. I interceded and picked him up (the turtle,not the raccoon)placing him out of eyesight in a bunch of leaves and bushes. The raccoon returned to her eating. My question is do the raccoons eat turtles?

Judy

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Karen,

I am in an area where the incidence of rabies is high. I think this why I started out at the beginning of this thread with such a fear of raccoons. In this area we are taught from the age of toddlers that raccoons = rabies = death. When I 1st started discussing raccoons with many of you on DG, I was shocked to see the difference in attitude toward raccoons in various parts of the country. In time I learned that this difference is largely due to the fact that the rabies threat is not equally distributed.

My area did not receive the rabies vaccine for the raccoons. That program was for the areas around the perimeter of where rabies currently exists. It was an effort to halt or slow the progression of rabies to other areas of the country. PA is obviously on the perimeter. SC, on the other hand is in the rabies waste land. They are just trying to contain us to keep the rabies in, not help us get rid of it.

As to shooting any creature that acts weird, aside from the fact that were this applied to humans it would cut the population in half almost over night, I just don't have that option here in the city where it is not only illegal but with neighbors so close would also be quite dangerous. Sometimes I do miss country life.

Since you said you only read the thread sporadically, you may not know that last summer I took the full series of rabies injections (vaccine), so in theory I should have some degree of protections at this time.

I should clarify that even though the raccoon crowd out back is large, there are no 'strangers' among the group here. Last summer there were some 12 or more pregnant and nursing females making it virtually impossible for me to keep track of all those kits. There are numerous unnamed yearlings out there this year, and while I don't know who is whose youngster or parent, I know that they are the grown kits from last year.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

starlight,

Thank you. Those are all very good things to remember, and I need reminding lately. I'm not in a constant panic BTW. I only had 'rabies' that one day. As any med student will attest, this is rather common. Once I began to worry that Fraidy might be infected, I made the mistake of reading the symptoms for humans. As every med student knows, once you read the symptoms, it's easy to manifest the disease.

You points are all very well taken. Even with medical treatment, it took me years to walk well after my knee surgeries, and, yes, with my knee injury before and my back injury now, I have good days and bad. I take a few steps forward and a few back. A few weeks ago I was walking with little or no pain. Now I'm limping again. I of all people should realize that recover is a slow process and not one that proceeds in a straight line. Thanks for reminding me of this.

As to the tree/fence climbing, just the other day when I was freaking out thinking Fraidy looked as though her hind legs were paralyzed, I realized that 'duh' there is just no way a paralyzed raccoon could get over that fence. And you are right about how we do things sometimes that set up back and how Fraidy has to do a lot of tree climbing and such that I don't have to deal with.

I had thought and hoped that if one of the group were to become sick with rabies that Heidi in her incredible wisdom might recognize it somehow, perhaps by smell or some other subtlety that we humans miss, and might therefore take action to rid the group of that threat. I hadn't mentioned it thinking you guys might think me silly. It was good to see that you had similar ideas, so maybe it's not so silly after all.

Thanks again for the reminders. I am trying to stay 'sane' and be patient in her recovery. I am always encouraged by her very rational behavior.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Judy,

As for the raccoons and their interaction with you, while I can't say for sure what any one will do, it has been my experience that even when they are comfortable around you, they are not inclined to attack you. Even when they are hungry and want food, they don't try to harm me. Sometimes they may try to sneak up and steal it (when I put something down near me), but they never take it by force.

I figure it's just not in their best interest to attack us. They know we are bringing them food, so why make us angry. Also, they are still a bit wary of us and thus don't want to engage us in a battle.

Dennis was the only exception to this, but then she was raised more like a pet since I handled her almost from birth. Even she doesn't try to hurt me for food, but in the past she would sometimes reach up and grab my bag of goodies and 'play' tug or war with me over it. None of the others have ever done anything of the sort.

I don't know the definitive answer to the turtle question. Hopefully, Ruth and/or others will know. I know raccoons eat turtle eggs, and I'm inclined to think that they will eat turtles. I have a number of Eastern Box turtles around my house including in the back yard, so I know it is possible for raccoons and turtles to co-exist; however, I only see the turtles during the daylight hours. I suspect they hide somewhere at night when the raccoons are out and about. I often see the turtles in the same area where the raccoons hang out BTW, the weed infested area just adjacent to the buffet and where my vegetable garden used to be, but, again, only in daylight hours.

Are these pet turtles or are they wild like 'mine'? It probably depends on how hungry the raccoons get, and this time of year the nursing moms are veritable bottomless pits. Even the fact that the raccoon showed interest in the turtle would seem to indicate the worst. If you can keep them apart, it would probably be best.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Ok, now I need to make 2 revelations. As you know, I endeavor to keep my observations of Heidi and the gang truthful. That includes not just telling the truth but telling the whole truth. Naturally, I have to edit for time, but I try not to leave out anything pertinent, anything which greatly effects the course of events. Now, however, I find myself with 2 previously 'concealed' events and a need to purge the system and come clean in order to get us back to 'the whole truth'. For each of these 2 items there was a reason for withholding information. One was just an error on my part meaning that for a time I didn't know the truth. The other was intentional but with good reason as it was intended to protect the raccoons. So here then are the 2 - and only 2 - items I've withheld:

(1) Fraidy is Bast. By that I mean to say that the severely injured raccoon was never Fraidy. She was and is Bast. Sorry. When she 1st came back, she appeared directly beside me such that I was looking down at her. You might recall that back then I could only take strange photos of her at odd angles because I had to put the camera down beside her and hope for the best, otherwise I got pictures of her back and the top of her head. Up close like that I couldn't see her at all well, esp her face. She was so tiny that my 1st thought was whether someone had kits that could be 4 to 6mo old already. At the time, with Dennis having recently shown up for the new year, I was eager to see Fraidy and had begun seeing her smallish and remotely friendly face around me. Suddenly, here was a tiny raccoon that was comfortable enough around me to eat comfortably beside me. (At that time, I didn't know that she was injured. She was too close to me for me to see her injuries either.)

Then I reached down and touched her, and she didn't react at all, not even to cringe a bit. At that point I knew beyond any doubt that she could only be one of 3 raccoons: Dennis, Bast, or Fraidy as only they were that comfortable with me. She wasn't Dennis and couldn't be since Dennis was there beside her. Between Bast and Fraidy the answer was obvious or so it seemed. Bast was tall, catlike, and graceful. She could never be so tiny - or so it seemed. And Heidi had sent Bast away...so I convinced myself she was Fraidy even though something just did not seem right even from the very start.

A few days later when I watched her walking away from me I saw her injuries for the 1st time as I saw her favor the hind leg. At that time I still believed she was Fraidy. Shortly after that she began eating over by the tractor scoot some distance away. At that distance I could see her in a way that I could not when she was right up 'under' me. As soon as I saw her face, I knew without a doubt she was Bast. Bast has a very distinctive face, a face that could never be Fraidy's face. At first I fought this realization. I wanted her to be Fraidy, but from that moment forward I knew that she was not.

I would never have guessed that there might be any similarities between the two, but, oddly enough, they share several characteristics that when combined with the effects of injury helped to obscure the truth, at least until I saw the face. Bast's thin catlike physique (when further modified by her injuries) made her one of the few who could actually look like Fraidy when I looked down at her back. Moreover, Bast's solid (no pattern), grey-beige coat which has always been short, sleek, and again catlike was a perfect fit for Fraidy's coat which if you recall I described as also being short and sleek such that it reminded me of the coat of a short haired dog. Fraidy's coat was lightish in color, being only a few shades darker than that of a golden lab, and she had no pattern on her body area. Amazingly similar although had Bast never been injured I doubt I would ever have noticed this.

By now, in fact, by the time I realized the truth, Bast was already answering to her new nick name Fraidy. I still call her this just to avoid confusing her more by changing her name back again, but now when Heidi looks at me when I'm talking to Bast I chuckle to myself thinking maybe she's thinking, "What, are you blind? That's not Fraidy!" Hay, Heidi knows her name. Who's to say she hasn't learned the names of others, as well?

Anyhow, I've known this for a little while now, and while it has been difficult to go on calling her Fraidy (and sometimes I've come close to mixing the names and facts in posts), I've just not had time to make this revelation. There has been so much else to discus every day, and some days I just didn't have a spare minute to talk at all.

So there it is. Raccoon ID's aren't that easy to begin with and are further complicated by issues of lighting and such. For a brief time, the further complications of injury confused me, and I made a wrong ID. Sorry.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Once I saw Bast from a distance so that I could see all of her and realized who she really was, I was so sure someone would look at the photos and call me on it. But then I realize that I 'live' with them, so what is obvious to me may not be so obvious to others. (and, of course, it wasn't immediately obvious to me.)

The fact that the injured raccoon is Bast changes many things in subtle ways that I would like to discuss later as I am tired for now.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Revelation's continued:

2) As you know, recently Dennis nipped my hand. What you don't know is that this is actually the 2nd time she has bitten me. The other bite occurred a long time ago and was even less 'serious' than this one. The last one was a pinch that did not break the skin or even leave tooth marks.

I didn't tell you at the time for reason that involve protecting the raccoons. It is always important to remember that in addition to the known readers, a thread may have any number of lurkers whose identities (and locations) are completely unknown. Just understand that I withheld this information to protect the raccoons. I think enough time has gone by now that it is reasonably safe to tell you now, and I feel much better having cleared the air on this.

Unfortunately, I won't answer question about this particular event, again for reasons involving the protection of the raccoons. Please respect this.

I will tell you that the event occurred when Widget and I were outside and Dennis showed up wanting attention - and treats. I picked Widget up and sat down on my bench holding him upside down like a baby, and in a flash Dennis walked up and nipped me. It was clear to me at the time that the bite was a punishment (then as more recently). Dennis was jealous of the attention I was paying the dog, not so much in the usual sense but probably because she wanted me to stop messing around with the dog and get her cookies (or whatever). I didn't have any food with me at the time, BTW, as I was not there to feed raccoons. Prior to that event, Dennis had never done anything of the sort and I was totally shocked - and angry.

I didn't hit her that time. I just refused to have anything at all to do with her for a long time after that - she was just like all of the others and forced to stay back at a distance. That seemed to have more of an effect on shaping her behavior than anything. When she was finally allowed to come back for a trial 'visit' up close to me, she was much, much better behaved - until recently, that is.

I do think this biting tendency comes natural to all animals and even humans. We train it out of babies and pets. Dennis is a wild animal except for an hour a day when she is a pet of sorts. She is bound to get confused sometimes. And I have spoiled her. Were it not for the risk of rabies, a nip or two wouldn't be such a big deal, just a training opportunity. I'm not saying her behavior is ok. I'm just saying it wouldn't be such a 'tragedy' were it not for rabies. In both cases it was very clear that she was not trying to injure me - just teach me a lesson. (I'm not ok with that last part BTW.)

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

My sister and I lived together while she was going to college. She was majoring in Occupational Therapy. When she was taking pathology, she was totally convinced she had a different disease every chapter. It was hilarious! Since I have had children, I have noticed a tendency on my part to "feel" their symptoms when they are sick. If Joy has a cold, suddenly my throat hurts. If Katie has the flu, I'm queasy. And, just to ensure you realize the scope of this psychosis, if they fall down and bruise their arm, yep, my arm hurts. My husband thinks it's really funny. I think it's really pathetic. LOL So I completely understand your thinking your symptoms could be rabies.

So "Fraidy" is Bast... I'm sorry for Bast. I wonder where Fraidy is...

Dennis is in serious need of a long discussion about boundaries!! I'm sure you're giving her a very good lesson in proper raccoon/human interaction. Being Heidi's second lieutenant and your "pet" has obviously gone to her head.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Marylyn,

I've read that it is very common for med students to 'have' every disease about which they read. That is too funny about you share the illnesses and injuries of your children, kind of like a husband going through sympathetic pregnancy - except that they never actually get to enjoy delivery.

Yes, alas, Fraidy is Bast. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. If Bast survives she will likely have some lingering disability, and we don't know where Fraidy is. She may not have made it, or she may be out there somewhere where ever HRH and the others and now Trouble are. I prefer to think the latter.

As I always say, Dennis has been, next to Heidi, my greatest joy and also my biggest pain - as far as the raccoon are concerned, that is.

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

My Mom says that about her granddog...lol.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.