My baby turkey vultures

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Ok, they're not mine but they did hatch in our old barn. Seems to be a perfect place for them to grow up. Mom can fly in through an open window and a few other places. So far no harm as come to them. I can see why though...they're FUSSY! LOL They hiss and hiss at you if you get close. That probably freaks out most predators.

Thumbnail by hczone6
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Another photo. A few more weeks and they'll have all their feathers.

Thumbnail by hczone6
Marlton, NJ

That is so cool!

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

That is so cool that they chose to nest in your barn!

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Awesome... Never seen baby one s before. How exciting that you get to watch them . Are you throwing extra worms or ra wmeat otu for the momma. Surprise d you were able to get pic sof the babies withotu momma tryign to get ya.

Do you know is daddy aroudn too or is it just a momam thign to keep them feed?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm not feeding them any extra. I put a few table scraps out with meat and so on and I noticed it didn't get eaten....so I figured I'd just let nature do it's thing and they're very healthy and lively.

Here's a video I took of them a few weeks ago when they had less black feathers.

http://openbloom.smugmug.com/gallery/8707843_MeiCW/1/#556282443_46khS-A-LB

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Eerie hiss! I can see how nothing would want to mess with them.

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Great pictures - I've never seen baby ones before either!

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Wow, that is awesome.

Huntersville, NC

kewl!

the internet is truly a blessing I am thankful for - daily!

Your pics are yet Another reason. thanks4sharing!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Wow, every spring I see a pair in the same spot in the woods and they hang around there for quite a while. I keep thinking I will see a nest and see what the little ones look like. Ain't happen'd yet.

Thanks for posting these pictures. Now I can see what the little ones look like. What a treat to see. They are sure better looking than their parents.

edited to say, please post these on the bird watching thread. There are many there who would love to see these babies too!

This message was edited Jul 2, 2009 6:52 AM

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Have you been able to get any more pics or are they to big and dangerous to get near now?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I put some new pictures from this morning in a new gallery here: http://openbloom.smugmug.com/gallery/8707843_MeiCW#581597981_iXJiS You can see the photos larger than you would on DG. I wish I has pictures from when they were totally white but I guess I only have a video of that stage. They're getting pretty big now. Not too much longer before they have all their feathers. They're still fussy as ever :) Click on those photos for larger pictures.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.