chipmunk invasion

Norman, IN

chipmunks are making an awful mess in our planting bed, digging small holes over the entire area, and spreading the mulch everywhere, any suggestions on what can be done.

North Augusta, ON

Enjoy them!! I welcome Chippers in my gardens.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Bphillips, sending you a dmail.

Donna

Sterling, VA(Zone 7a)

I have the same problem, however, squirrels can do this too. As a deterrent around my more vunerable plants, I stick some forks around the plant and also place thorny rose bush twigs (the ones that have died off already) horizontally on the soil. This helps. I have had petunias completely dug up (roots and all) due to small critters and it is interesting to note that I also found a small bird feather near the uprooted plant that may indicate that birds are capable of doing this also, especially in hanging baskets.

In any event, I do find these small critters cause less of a problem in comparison to animals that are larger than the squirrels and chipmunks. Snug, :o)

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Garlic, irish spring soap, mothballs down the holes

Litchfield Park , AZ(Zone 9b)

I have the same problem and I have been live trapping them.
They love peanut better. So far I have captured 7 little critters, I used to thing they were cute :-(
I release them about 4 miles away. DOn't know if they are finding their way back or if we just have many.

Norman, IN

Thanks for your help!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.