Purple Bee Balm

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

These never come back for me,are they suppose to come back from root or reseed?

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Is that Monarda? At year 3 for mine they have come back by gangbusters. I am not sure of the cultivar in your pic, but mine looks the same.

I also have 'rasberry wine' and that looks happy in the garden, too. It blooms a bit later than the lavender one.

I had the red ''jacob cline" monarda but that one succumbed to mildew right away in our humid climate.

We planted them for the butterflies and hummingbirds. Have seen a lot of fritillarias on ours this June. Not so many HBs seem interested in it, though.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I got this one small start at the round up,I've always liked these but they never come back,might get lucky this time!

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I am absolutely overrun with monarda. This past fall, I pulled up handfuls, and just threw it out because there was so much. In the spring, I pulled up still more handfuls, and threw it out AND I actually transplanted some to other areas in the yard, and I still have too much.

I think the reason why I have so much is that I deadhead after it blooms so that it is able to rebloom. I'm sure that there must be thousands of seeds in my yard. I have raspberry wine, jacob cline, and a lighter shorter pink one whose name I don't know. It just spreads so easily, and quickly. I don't do anything special to it, but the soil is in good condition.

Thumbnail by pennefeather
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Very pretty,which one is that?

(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

Mine is reseeding too readily also. This is Jacob Cline, I think, back on 6/6. I just cut them back today.

Thumbnail by lrwells50
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Why the different heights on your flowers,have any ideas?

I have no idea, but about the time the first wave was at it's peak, I noticed a bunch of new little plants. Here is my Dwarf Grand Marshall, new this year. Much more compact, although I don't know what it will do next spring.

Thumbnail by lrwells50
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Now those are great looking bee baLM,nice and neat and compact plants.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Did you grow your original plants from seeds? (I bought mine from Bluestone, but now that I know the seeds germinate so easily, I wish I had started them from seeds!

They have really developed a lot of new monarda cultivars in the past few years. Various monarda offered by Bluestone:

http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/search.html?mv_session_id=X3iVWFGA&co=yes&ma=yes&mc=1&tf=name&to=f&rf=*&sp=results_pics&st=db&fi=products&mv_value=nametype%3Dscientific&ml=45&mv_value=srchtype%3Dkey&from_search=1&user_specified=1&sf=%3Acode%3Aname%3Acommon_name%3Ashort_desc%3Adescription1&se=monarda&su=1&op=rm&sf=is_coupon&se=1&su=0&op=ne&sf=disc&se=0&su=0&op=gt&hide=1&submit.x=7&submit.y=8

Thumbnail by tabasco

I've got a couple more plants, I think Pink Supreme, that aren't nearly as big, and don't have any blooms on them yet.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Oh I like the Lambada!

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Tropicman,

That was a picture of Jacob Cline. I also cut mine down about a third around the other plants, otherwise they will block all the light, so mine appear to be different heights.

Here is raspbery wine.

Boston, MA

pennyfeather, I love your hot poker flowers in the front. I've been thinking of adding them to my small perennial flower bed.

Ayah

I planted 3 different red hot pokers this year, can't wait until next year when they bloom!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Whoa! How tall are those 6ft?Beautiful!

West Plains, MO(Zone 6b)

Hello! I have never grown monarda before, but I bought some this year at a local herb and native plant sale. This one was sold as "Lemon Bee Balm", and it's leaves do smell like lemon. It looks a little like lambada. I love it - looking forward to learning more about monarda and adding some more cultivars next year!

Thumbnail by ericabelle
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

From some of the pics I saw it does to me,and the leaves smell like lemon,thats great !
Thanks for the info!

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Tropicman,

This picture of the jacob cline shows the height differences, since I cut down the stalks about third so that it doesn't crowd nearby plants.

The torch lillies in my other picture with the raspberry monarda are probably only 2 or 2 and a half feet tall. That is a view looking up the incline in front of my house.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

So those are at least 3ft or more at there highest?

My tallest ones are more like 4 'to 4 1/2'

Thumbnail by lrwells50
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Never knew they got that all!!!

Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

Here is my wild Bee Balm aka Bergamot.

Thumbnail by synda
Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

Here is the red........

Thumbnail by synda
Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

Another view of the red.....

Thumbnail by synda
Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

And here is my purple.

Thumbnail by synda
Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

Last one......

Thumbnail by synda
Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

My pink (the wild) and Red are 4 to 5ft tall,the purple are only about a foot tall.

Thumbnail by synda
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Oh My I love the colors of the wild one!!!!

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Jacob Cline is well over 5 feet.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Oh My!
I like plants that almost eyeball to eyeball!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.