diploid vs tetraploid siberians

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I was hoping someone could provide me with the ploidy level of the following siberians. I want to make crosses but need to know which are diploid and which are tetraploid. I expect they are all diploid but perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised. Thanks.

'Dance Ballerina Dance'
'Roanoke's Choice'
'Chilled Wine'
'Moonsilk'
'Dear Delight'

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi Todd,

I don't know for sure, but am guessing from their growth that Dance Ballerina Dance, Moon Silk and Chilled Wine are diploids. I don't grow the others. I know Chilled Wine had Eric the Red in it's parentage, so it must be diploid. Moon Silk came from Super Ego, that came from White Swirl so definietly a diploid again.

Let me go look at the parentage of the others and I bet I can figure it out for you.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Roanoke's Choice also has White Swirl as a parent, and so I would definietly say diploid, unless it had been colchicine treated, and I doubt it, back then. Dear Delight is registered as a diploid.

And I'm wrong about Dance Ballerina Dance. It's registered as a tet. Sure doesn't grow like one, LOL.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Thanks Polly...I figured they were diploids....DBD as a tetraploid opens up some interesting versicolor X siberica opportunities!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

You're welcome! Hoping to see pictures of the results in the next few years.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.