What type of iris?

Port Sanilac, MI

I am "into" tb iris but I have about three bunches of these iris and I don't know what kind they are. Could someone please tell me? Can I transplant them with their feet in or near water? Thanks.

Thumbnail by kays_camelot
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi Kay,

Do the leaves seem to arch over at the top?

If yes, go to question #2, LOL. Look at the yellow signal area on the falls and see if it looks like it has hairs on the yellow signal.

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Looks versicolor to me.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Either versicolor or virginica. Both have leaves and flowers about the same. The virginicas have the hairs on the signal area.

Ahhhh!

Port Sanilac, MI

There are no hairs on the signal area and I would not say the leaves arch over on the top; they just seem to go upward and out. The petals between the ones that raise up and the bottom ones, curl at the ends. Sorry I know no name descriptions. They look the same to me (only smaller) than the pictured ones which I bought from VanBourgondien as dutch iris.

Thumbnail by kays_camelot
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I would agree with Boojum, versicolor. Compared to the leaves on bearded irises which go straight up, versicolor seems to arch a little on the end.

You can plant them anywhere. I have some in full sun some part sun but they don't need to be in water.

Port Sanilac, MI

Mine aren't anywhere near water now but I was wondering if I can transplant them near the pond.

Go for it!

Port Sanilac, MI

Thank you, everyone, for your help.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.