Rudbeckia Photos From Ft Lauderdale, FL June 24, 2009

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Here are some Rudbeckia photos I took today here at home. I started these all from seed last fall, except for Rudbeckia "Denver Daisy". I found that plant at a local nursery perhaps a month ago.
This is Rudbeckia "Prairie Sun"

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Rudbeckia "Denver Daisy"

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Rudbeckia "Tiger Eye Gold"

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Rudbeckia "Cherry Brandy" plant in full sun.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Rudbeckia "Cherry Brandy" plant in more shade.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Rudbeckia "Chim Chiminee"...a rust/orange colored plant.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Rudbeckia "Chim Chiminee"....a gold colored blooming plant.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

And last is Rudbeckia "Goldsturm"

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Very very pretty collection! Who knew there were so many different pretty ones.

Ours just started blooming this week, and they really make our garden 'pop'.

Thanks tabasco. They sure do add a lot of color to a garden. Rudbeckia have been one of the most challenging things for me to grow from seed down here in South Florida. I'm glad I grew plenty of extras from seed because quite a few died along the way. They generally grew well when they were smaller plants but many would just immediately die all of a sudden when they grew larger.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Very nice. Interesting difference in color on the CB in sun and shade. I love rudbeckias too. I have PS, 'Goldsturm' and another perennial one 'Pot of Gold'. Have buds like almost everything around here but no blooms yet. Something ate a bud from one of the PS. I think it was a tree rat. You do a really great job getting all these plants to grow and flower down there. Congrats on all your pretty blooms.

Thanks much ngam. Well, if you have lots of buds...it won't be long before the show begins. I noticed, in the past two years, the rudbeckia bloom in cycles down here. They bloom really good about 3 times during the warmer months with 3 or 4 week down periods in between the bloom cycles. The ones that are perennials or biennials then die back from about November-March. No matter where you live, isn't it interesting when you notice "trends" in things after you've grown them a few years?
Jon

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

Jon, I got a Henry Eihlers Rudbeckia this year. I wonder how it would grow there. This one wilted for weeks but finally is settled in. I'll post a pic when it blooms for me.

I like your shade grown Cherry Brandy. It reminds me of a Gaillardia.

I wish you could post pics of your entire yard. LOL. I'm trying to imagine how you have all these arranged. I bet it's amazing. You have so many plants!

I also want to know if you tried to grow Tennessee coneflower there. I think it would bloom a long time. I could send you some seeds if you want to try.

Thanks maniac. I've come across Henry Eilers before, but don't currently have one. Same thing with Tennessee coneflower. Every time I think of obtaining them I run across some new hybrid and end up getting the new one. I'd love to try the Tennessee coneflower maniac and would be more than happy to give them a shot.

Here are a few of my favorite photos from around the yard in June, per your request. Some of them are wider shots...and some I just like the way they turned out.

This is a section of the front yard.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Hibiscus "Rocket's Red Glare" & Echinacea "Primadonna White"

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Echinacea In The Front

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Echinacea In Front Along The Side Of The House

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Hibiscus "Delta Dawn" & Echinacea

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Hibiscus "Neon Nova" under the sun

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Hibiscus "Voodoo Magic"

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey Jon

Has your Elton Knight bloomed yet? I think there was one other new one you had too that I wanted to see but I can't remember what it was now. Isn't Elton Knight a deep pinkish purple color? I actually saw a Magnus coneflower (does that sound right?) at Lowe's this week. I thought about getting it but it really wasn't that pretty so I didn't. Do you have that one and do you like it? I think the centers were really big and brown on it and I didn't care for that. Would rather have larger pink petals instead.

Patty

Hi Patty

Here is a photo of my "Elton Knight" today with Echie "Coconut Lime" in the foreground. I don't think it's really the color you're looking for. From knowing what you like you'd probably like "Fatal Attraction" or "After Midnight" better. I have Magnus, but consider it to be pretty similar to quite a few others. I do love "Coconut Lime" though even though its a totally different color. I've only had it a couple of months and its been a good bloomer and grower..so far.
Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

I think you're right; I remember After Midnight being one I looked at online and liked. It's a real deep color; I like your Coconut Lime too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.