Got a new plant for the deck

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I had a crazy day at work and stopped at the local market for some things on the way home and spotted this plant.

I just had to have it. It sure brightened my day, as well as the deck. So far it likes the spot with mostly shade all day.

You are suppose to bring it in in the winter and it will be ok for next year. It is a Madevilla vine.

Does anyone else have one of these? Have you had success in wintering it over inside?
Should I let it go dormat, or treat it like a houseplant over the winter?

Thumbnail by cpartschick
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

A close up of the flower. Soooo pretty!

Thumbnail by cpartschick
Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

OH MY that is so pretty !!!! I don't think I'v ever seen one
Gloria

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

Yup ..I've overwintered mine. Bring it in and cut it back and put it in a sunny window. In fact one year I just shoved it in an unused bedroom. In the spring I brought it out and gave it a shot of fertilizer/water and it came back. Mine have never been as glorious as the first year though. I did give it enough water in the winter so it didn't completely dry out.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the advice. I just couldn't resist buying this beautiful plant.

I did loose a couple of the flowers during the thunderstorm last night, but it still looks great.

I guess I have time to decide if I want to put it by the window in the window, or in the basement by the slider.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

which market did you get that at? i just may have to get one of those myself. very pretty.

Erika

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

It was at Buckeye. I stopped there day before yesterday to ck out the name of the plant. They only had one left and it was pretty sad looking, brown leaves and no flowers. It is to the left of the door to go in. Maybe you could get a discount and do some magic with it!

I was reading about the plant here in the files and learned that many had problems with repotting. I had repotted mine before reading this, but it has been several days with no problems. (it was very root bound). So I will keep my fingers crossed.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

oh phooey.
maybe i'll stop after work and check it out. thanks for the info.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Your welcome. I am off to work now.

Bay City, MI(Zone 5a)

HM, Buckeye store, I will have to ask my Daughter just where it is located? She lives in Beaverton. Every year I see that plant at the nursery in Bay City, but never see anyone buy them? They are very pretty bloomers tho.

Bad Axe, Mich., FL(Zone 5a)

It is a vine, so you can provide something for it to grow up on. I had one here in Michigan and I overwintered it in the house. It never looked the same as the first year. It takes a long summer for it to start to show off after the first year. If you have a friend with a heated greenhouse, it will do much better.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i killed mine years ago!! good luck!!

Almont, MI

Your mandevilla looks very nice on the deck. They are fairly heavy feeders and if it slows up flowering, put it in more sun. I know someone who buys 10-14 of them every year and just lets them freeze. She also does not trellis all of hers, just lets them keep going "over themself". I did keep one for myself this year just to see what it does. I think the overwintering depends on the humidity level in your house.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks for all the advice.
I get lots of sunshine in the house, and we run a humidifier in the winter due to wood heat. It may be ok.

Golly, I think I will get my moneys worth out of it just looking this year. (I paid 25 bucks, not cheap, but it is a really large plant)

Buckeye market is east of Gladwin a few miles right on m61 (in case anyone wants to visit a different place. Early in the year they have great topiary (sp) made from hibiscus and other showy plants, they get snatched up early though.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I love Buckeye I haven't been there in a while thanks for reminding me great vegies too
Gloria

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Your welcome.
You may not want to go though....I see they carry Mack fudge at the ck out counter now. That was hard to say no to. LOL

Bay City, MI(Zone 5a)

Oh fudge, YUMMYY, I bought a FEW boxes at the midland fair grounds this summer :) It's all gone now :( But then not too much longer and the fudge vendor will be back :))))))))))))))))

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

It is soooo good because it melts at exactly 98.6'
It is wonderful. Now I will want to stop and get some. LOL

Bay City, MI(Zone 5a)

Yes, it was very HARD to pick just one kind!! So, I got one of each, LOL
Oh, and the more you bought, he gave you a better deal :))))))) I even have his card here some where, I thought he said he lived in....Gladwin? Sand Lake? I dunno, I was just having a ball TRYING A SMALL BITE OF EVERYTHING, LOL Oh, and so was SIL

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

We have the Mac fudge at the store I'v never bought any though Its not even made on the Island I'm not sure where its made guess I'll have to check and see;0)
Gloria

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

lol

Bay City, MI(Zone 5a)

I was at the Antique sales at the Midland Fairgrounds with son & wife :) There were not many vendors there, the weekend was a bit CLOUDS, HEAVY RAIN, THUNDER, OH, AND VERY LITTLE SUN, BUT VERY MUGGY :( I did see the Mac Fudge Vendor tho.....I was sooooooo good and did not even buy one box!!!! I think I was still thinking of the 4 boxes I bought the last time, and Oh, how they were just gone in no time, lol

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I looked at the Mac fudge boxes at work the other day if its the same stuff (white box ) its made in Saginaw .
Gloria

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

They make fudge in Saginaw??? Not when I lived there. Ha.

Port Huron, MI(Zone 6a)

I'm glad you posted your question. My son bought me a beautiful Mandevilla for mothers day and it has been blooming ever since. I wondered what to do with it for the winter.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

It sure is beautiful, isn't it.

It has been fairing well with this cooler weather, also all the heavy rains. It still looks great. I have had 3 or 4 leaves drop off, but that is it. Still full of flowers.

Please post a picture of yours!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

Yup ..I've overwintered mine.too!!
Birdie

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Just an update on this plant.

This plant did extremely well for me all summer. There were about 30 or more blooms open at once all summer with tons of buds. I kept close eye on the weather, but even lows of 40' didn't seem to affect it at all.

I brought the plant in about 3 weeks ago. I brought it in a mere 10 feet from where it was on the deck, by three nice big windows. It took about a week for the flowers to fall off, all the buds fell off and I have spent 2 weeks picking up dead leaves. So today, I took it to the basement (by the window) and cut it down for overwinter.

We will see what happens now.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I think it will do fine. Just don't forget to give it a little drink about once a month to keep it alive. Bring it back up in the spring when the days grow longer.....around in April and give it a shot of fertilizer and a good soaking drink and it will take off for you. You can try misting it now and then with some water. THey are used to warm tropical climates and need the extra humidity.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Ohhhh, I never thought of misting. That is a great idea. Thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.